Anchorage tours- do you have to book ahead?

MarieAtSea

We'll be in Anchorage 4 days prior to boarding Princess. Will we be able to decide what we want to do when we get to Anchorage or will all independent tours etc be booked? We are thinking of maybe kayaking, or a boat ride etc, but would like to wait until we get there, and decide depending on weather.

Thanks!

trip next summer 6/19/2012 arrival in Anchorage.

I would recommend booking WAY in advance - especially car rentals and Alaska Railroad. We are leaving in August and booked everything in January and we are SO glad we did. Many of the trips we are taking are full and the cost of car rentals have tripled this close to the cruise time. Good tour operators fill up fast and if you want to use Toursaver or Northern Light Coupon books - the early bird gets to use the coupons! Go over to Trip advisor dot com and check out what trips there are to do and do your homework early. It will pay off in peace of mind and BIG bucks savings too!

Does your ship depart from Seward? If you have 4 days I would encourage you to spend maybe the first and last nights in Anchorage but overnight in Seward the rest of the time. (it's 3 hrs away. You don't want to waste time commuting).

In Seward you can do the Kenai Fjords boat ride, visit Exit Glacier, SeaLife Center, kayak, fish. Pick up a rental car so you can drive there and explore the area. There's lots to see and do between Seward and Anchorage.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Round trip car rental is cheaper so you could return the car back to Anchorage then take the train to Seward on the day of the cruise.

There isn't any "kayaking" in Anchorage, and if you have 4 days, I certainly would not, be parking myself there. You have the opportunity for far more interesting areas, if you choose them. Anchorage is a great city, but there is so much more to Alaska.

I suggest you at least have decisions made on how you wish to occupy your time, even if it is to just winging it. :) Some, may be more focused on getting full days of touring, you may want something else. Determine this perhap?

Archived