Organizing Stateroom

CrzN4Info

I’ve read several post about things to bring on a cruise so I’m set for that but since the rooms are so small what kind of things can I do / bring to keep everything in some kind of order?

I found the following.

· Mesh bag shower organizer – fits in small shower and holds shampoos and soaps. Folds flat. Can be found at Dollar General.

· Shoe rack for over the bathroom door

· Pop up laundry bag

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Battery operated candle for the bathroom at night. No need to turn on lights for those bathroom breaks in the middle of the night. Not bright or intrusive, lovely real life looking flickering candlelight without the fire hazard.

Travel coffee mug to carry around on deck - for coffee, tea, juice, water or an adult beverage.

I’ve read several post about things to bring on a cruise so I’m set for that but since the rooms are so small what kind of things can I do / bring to keep everything in some kind of order?

I found the following.

· Mesh bag shower organizer – fits in small shower and holds shampoos and soaps. Folds flat. Can be found at Dollar General.

· Shoe rack for over the bathroom door

· Pop up laundry bag

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Why do you need to bring a separate laundry bag? When I get to the ship, I unpack my suitcases and then I use of of those then empty bags as a laundry bag. I either store it flat under the bed or place it upright in one section of the closet (usually under short hanging items like shirts). One less thing to pack that way.

I don't know why you would need an in the shower organizer; there is room in the shower or tub for soap and shampoo bottles. Now, I would understand hanging something like that on the inside of the bathroom door to store toiletry items that don't get wet (there isn't much medicine cabinet-like storage in HAL bathrooms), however so that item could be useful.

Hanging a cloth shoe rack inside your cabin could be useful for many things, (both shoes and not shoes).

But remember, hanging more stuff on doors is just going to make the room narrower and feel less roomy. Also, such stuff can move when the seas are rough, and that makes more noise (which is a problem for light sleepers).

All in all, try not to overpack clothing wise. Especially for cruises of 14 nights or more, plan to do laundry (so you can pack less). Try to cut down on the electronics (and their chargers), if possible. Bring clothing that can be folded flat and stored in drawers or on shelved and not just stuff that needs to be on hangers (if possible) - like shirts and shorts. Unless you are going to Alaska, Antarctica, or the north Cape, try not to bring bulky, heavy cold weather items (like coats or even jeans). Try to bring lighter, thinner items (even khakis take up slightly less space that jeans and it may be too warm for jeans anyway).

Remember to use all the storage areas in the cabin (including the nightstands, under the bed (sometimes there are even drawers there), in the stool under the desk (well sometimes it is empty, but sometimes there is no storage space in there at all, so no promises).

I agree with the pop up laundry hamper, it takes no space in my luggage and makes it much easier to keep laundry under control. I put the suitcases away under the bed and don't like to be bothered with them again until we have to repack.

I'm going to look for the folding box/baskets for our next cruise. Our DS10 is travelling with us this time and he will have lots of gadgets and "stuff" to keep organized.

Approved power strip and electronic USB docking if needed. Little baskets for your toiletries/make-up so they can be moved all at once when the sinks get cleaned.

Some additional removable hooks can be helpful - put on the wall or a mirror for good measure for ease of taking it down before you leave - I think 3M makes them - removable suction/adhesive things.

We found we did not need any of the "over the door" storage hangers - good idea but found particularly since they put in the lower shelf in the Maasdam class bathrooms, there was plenty of room. The Vista ships have some "hidden" storage in drawers under the sofa and the circular desk/make-up table stool - lid comes off and can be used for your dirty laundry.

One thing we like about HAL ships is there does seem to be plenty of storage room and in the Neptune Lounge suites, way more than we could possibly fill with our 50# airline luggage restrictions.

The dollar tree {every thing is a dollar } has folding fabric boxes in various sizes that are great to put one in bathroom for a catch-all, also one for the desk area for the same.

The cabins I have occupied all had a large shelf area under the bathroom vanity. A good place for boxes. I use Dollar Store clear plastic shoeboxes. I fill them with toiletries and over the counter meds. One is an "office" box. (post-its, a few paper clips and rubber bands, etc.) Anything small goes in the boxes, incuding costume jewelry. Tape them closed and place them in your luggage, then they just go right under the sink when you unpack. The lids help in case of rough seas.

Another thing that is useful in rough seas is a piece of rubberized fabric meant to go under area rugs. I put one piece on the desk and one on the bathroom vanity so that "stuff" doesn't roll around in the night.

My favorite is gallon size ziploc bags for "tourist clutter." As we leave each port behind, all the maps, postcards, booklets, tickets, small souvenirs go in a ziploc - end of clutter. This was especially helpful when I visited 28 ports on one cruise.

Make up a medical bag with over-the counter stuff like bandaids, alcohol wipes, neosporin, nasal spray, cotton balls, Qtips, cold/cough meds,

aspirin/tylenol, aloe vera gel for sunburn, some motion sickness/diarrhea stuff (from our physician). Duck tape, night light,

anti-bacterial hand gel and travel wipes (for shore excursions where

bathrooms may not be up to snuff). safety pins, a few clothespins,

extra glasses, batteries, memory cards, ---- just suggestions.

Battery operated candle for the bathroom at night. No need to turn on lights for those bathroom breaks in the middle of the night. Not bright or intrusive, lovely real life looking flickering candlelight without the fire hazard.

This has worked out great for us. We use a battery-operated tea candle, such as this from Target (12 for $13). Lasts forever...

http://www.target.com/Flameless-Tea-Light-Set/dp/B001GDXGCO

I also take a cloth laundry bag and hang it in the closet. I find that HAL ships have more than enough closet space, and the bag packs flat to take up little space. When I pack to go home, I put all the dirty cloths in it and once home don't have to sort. I use one from my youth that my mother embroidered with my name (short name!), so it also brings back memories, and when she is traveling with me she gets a kick out of it.

Archived