Freedom got buzzed in St. Martin

During our stop at St. Martin last Thursday, this helicopter hovered very close by the cantilever hot tub - so close we could see a person sitting on the side waving to us! They then plunged toward the water nose first and then pulled up at the front of the ship. They also apparently did this when we arrived in port in the morning. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, who are they, and what are they doing? Does this happen very often?

2544763540095077820qpzdLm_th.jpg"]2544763540095077820qpzdLm_th.jpg[/url]

This happened twice when we were on the Serenade last week: once when we were passing close by St. Maarten on our way to Barbados and again when we were leaving St. Maarten after our call there. Although I don't speak Dutch, the markings on the tail made it look like a military helicopter to me.

We were on the stern of the ship and saw the chopper fly past the ship at a little above us. It made a turn directly behind the ship then flew back at us. We were on Deck 6 and the chopper was below us as it came back. I heard from the 2nd Mate that the chopper also went and "played" with some sailboats either just before or just after playing with the FoS. I wish I had my camera ready but it was gone way to quick. to grab it.

Craig

Archived