AOS in Puerto Rico embarkation question

Lephysteria wrote:

We're planning to try and board at Noonish. That way we can try to get to OSJ and walk around all afternoon.

Magetro then wrote:

I was talking to my sister-in-law this weekend in regards to our plans to board the ship early, and then head back out for lunch in OSJ. She informed me that once you board the ship, you are not allowed off. I told her that couldn't be-- because I'd read some posts here where people did get off until it was time to sail. She said that unlike other US ports in Puerto Rico you are NOT allowed off. I'm not sure if she said it was a security or immigration concern. Her last cruise was out of Puerto Rico on Carnival this past July. Maybe RCCL will allow us off? If not, oh well. I've waited this long to get on AOS that I probably won't want to get off.

The above quote was pasted from the conversation on my AOS Roll Call Posting, and we leave in a little over a week!:D On that roll call, I first posted that our plans were to board the ship, have lunch, then disembark for a few hours, and return to the ship before she sails later that night at 10pm. Magetro then posted that her sister in law advised this was not possible.

Can you leave the ship in Puerto Rico once you've boarded? Was the sister-in-law correct?

Please advise :)

Thanks!

When we cruised on the Adventure of the Seas in February 2003 we boarded, dropped off our bags, hung out on the ship, got off to pick up a couple of sundry items, and boarded again.

So, it can be done.

Got off the ship both times in Sept 2003 and Sept 2004 to purchase liquor. Yes, you can do this in San Juan! There is even a liquor store in the first terminal building you encounter. The AOS was docked at this terminal when we went in 2003. In 2004 it was at the adjacent terminal (without the duty free store). We just walked next door to that terminal and made our liquor purchases and brought them back on the ship - No Problem. You are asked to put your liquor in your carry-on, so be sure to take one with you when you leave the ship. They will scan it, but they do not confiscate. This may be unique to San Juan, because they do confiscate in Miami (at least Carnival and NCL do).

And before I get "flamed" - we still had a sizeable bar tab. We just wanted a bottle or two for pre-dinner drinks on our balcony.

When you re-enter the ship, do you have to stand in a long line again, or do you just go straight to the ship and bypass everything?

No lines, because you already have your Seapass Card. The long lines are for initial check-in, and since you have already done that, just go to the scanners and walk right on.

FYI- we never waited in the long lines due to our booking of a suite. You have a shorter line for Priority Boarding when you book a Junior Suite or better. Also, Crown and Anchor (loyalty) members with 5 prior cruise credits or more get the priority boarding. The signs for this line may not always be readily visible - just ask one of the RCI agents outside the terminal.

Archived