Galaxy Panama Review Part 2 - The cabin

LisadelRio

Hi Everyone, here's the next part of my review. Eventually, I'll put the whole thing on my web page - with photos. We took a lot of pictures. So if you want to see a photo of something before I get around to posting this whole thing, let me know and I'll either post it or email it to you.

The Cabin

We all know it’s location, location, location when it comes to real estate. When it comes to cruise real estate, it’s all about veranda, square footage and finally location. Fortunately, our cabin, 1229 had it all. 1229 is a sky suite on the Sky Deck(12). This was a great cabin in a wonderful location.

The veranda is huge. Even with 3 lounge chairs, a table and 2 chairs, an end table and an ottoman, there a was still room to roll out the yoga mat and do a sun salutation or two. I wonder what the people strolling by on deck 14 thought of downward facing dog?

There was an overhang from the deck above, which extended about a third of the way out. So there was almost always a choice of shade or sun. We always choose shade. Also, people walking on deck 14 have a nice view of the veranda, except the part under the overhang. What this means is, it’s a good idea to remember to wear clothes when venturing out from under the overhang.

On the night we sailed in slow motion between Cozumel and Costa Maya, the veranda collect a huge amount of soot. Dias washed it off on the Costa Maya day. Otherwise, there was usually a small amount of soot on the veranda, depending on which way the wind was blowing.

The cabin itself was pretty small, but adequate. I guess you could call it a suite, if you count the veranda as the living room. There was a huge amount of storage. We brought a ton of luggage, since we didn’t have to put it on a plane, and there was more than enough room for everything. Our 2 huge empty suit cases fit under the bed, along with the other empties and the wine stash. Even though there were 3 of us, there were drawers we didn’t use.

There is a queen size bed, which is 2 small beds pushed together. The mattress was a little hard I thought, but it wasn’t sagging or old. It actually seemed somewhat new. We have a Tempurpedic-like mattress at home, so I think all other mattresses are awful. I really missed my bed by day 10 or so.

The small loveseat made out into a bed and our son slept there every night. He thought the mattress was fine. The couple of times I laid on it, it seemed okay and only slightly less comfy that the bed.

The sheets were soft enough (250 thread count maybe) and there was a duvet. There were 4 pillows on the bed and 2 on the sofa bed. I brought my own pillow. Too bad I can’t bring my own mattress.

All of the upholstery, bedspread, furniture, drawers, and fixtures were in good working order and seemed new or almost new. I think that the chairs and sofa might have been recently slip covered. The carpet was faded at the doors and we tracked in our share of soot from the veranda, before we even realized that we were doing it.

The bathroom was small but there was a tub. The shower head was a Grohe, which I fondly remember from our Mercury cruise so many years ago. It is the best showerhead I’ve ever had the pleasure to stand under. The height and angle are completely adjustable – which is good because I am short. The next shower head we buy will be a Grohe.

The bathroom was very clean, but there was a bit of mildew in the grout around the tub. It didn’t bother me except that I always had to urge to go get the Tilex when I stepped into the shower. Other than that, the tub and sink were not stained at all and the fixtures and mirrors were always shiny.

Next - The Food

Link to part 1 - The Ship and Embarkation

Lisa, thanks so much.

While you were away, I think, there was a thread about the confusion between amenities for CC vs. SS. Some said SS received all CC amenities, some said the opposite. Were you aware of any differences?

Thanks for posting.

Pincus

As Lisa says the balcony's make up for the small rooms. To say they are small one has to ask what is the largest room you have ever had. If you have been in suites on the newer, larger RCL or Carnival ships then these rooms are just plane small. The closet doors open out and when they are open you can't get by to get into the bathroom or come into the room from the hallway. The bathroom door opens up against the toilet which was kinda wierd. 2 people let alone 3 can't navigate the room without running into each other. But boy those balconys are sure nice... :)

Pincus, we didn't get the CC breakfast menu, the flowers, the pillow menu or the blow dryer. I asked Ivo for a blow dryer, but never got one. The other stuff we weren't interested in. As for the flowers, there was already enough stuff in the cabin.

There were 2 umbrellas and a little pair of binoculars in the room. There were also the thick robes, towels, and soft sheets. And the nice shower head and the tub. And fresh fruit almost every day it seemed. There was also the suite breakfast menu and the welcome champagne, which is not that great. (I brought good champagne and our TA sent us a bottle of Mumms.)

We got what we booked this cabin for, which was a big veranda and and the extra square feet. The butler was nice, but really unnecessary IMHO. It was nice to be greeted by name by some guy in a tux every day. Nice, but not really necessary.

Pincus, we didn't get the CC breakfast menu, the flowers, the pillow menu or the blow dryer. I asked Ivo for a blow dryer, but never got one. The other stuff we weren't interested in. As for the flowers, there was already enough stuff in the cabin.

There were 2 umbrellas and a little pair of binoculars in the room. There were also the thick robes, towels, and soft sheets. And the nice shower head and the tub. And fresh fruit almost every day it seemed. There was also the suite breakfast menu and the welcome champagne, which is not that great. (I brought good champagne and our TA sent us a bottle of Mumms.)

We got what we booked this cabin for, which was a big veranda and and the extra square feet. The butler was nice, but really unnecessary IMHO. It was nice to be greeted by name by some guy in a tux every day. Nice, but not really necessary.

Lisa, thanks so much for the clarification. Like you, we book the cabin for th veranda! It can't be beat.

Am still enjoying your review.

Thanks.

Pincus

Archived