Traveling With Older Parents

bresdogsr

My parents want to cruise on the POA and are hesitant to go without us. My father has had 2 hip and 2 knee replacements and is not very mobile. I am curious after reading reviews if you think that it would be a good trip for my parents who are still somewhat active but not very mobile? TIA

This is a fantastic trip, and not to be missed. My older parents went with us and really enjoyed it. We just had to make sure to book excursions that did not require a lot of walking. They chose the 3 excursions for, I think, $90 with Roberts. I called ahead of booking to find out how much walking was involved. Of course, they probably enjoyed spending time with family as much as anything. I advise you to go as well, and treasure the time with them and the trip you will remember forever.

My parents want to cruise on the POA and are hesitant to go without us. My father has had 2 hip and 2 knee replacements and is not very mobile. I am curious after reading reviews if you think that it would be a good trip for my parents who are still somewhat active but not very mobile? TIA

My parents were 81 last year when they cruised with us on the POAm. My dad has Parkinson's, had two heart valve replacement surgeries (he wore the first valve out...lol) and has had both knees drained and the knee tendons "shaved" (although not total knee replacements). He still gets around by use of a cane but for longer distances, he uses a scooter type wheelchair.

He rented one of these last year. (he got the number from NCL customer service). The scooter was delivered to the ship and was waiting outside his cabin when we arrived. He simply left it there at the end and the rental company picked it up. The only problem was that the scooter did not fit very well into a regular balcony stateroom and so he had to leave it out in the hall at night. (there was a plug there, so he could charge it.).

On the first day in Maui, we rented a mini van and took the scooter with us. We spent the day visiting Maui Ocean Center & Lahania. On the second day in Maui, he and mom (and another elderly couple with us), took the Maui Tropical Plantation and Iao Valley Tour. Although he could have taken the scooter, he left it since there is not much walking at the Tropical Plantation and you only have to walk as much as you want at Iao Needle. They have a great time. (they also appreciated the shorter tour so that they could relax on board the ship.)

In Hilo, we booked a tour through Roberts Hawaii to Volcanos National Park and we took the Scooter. The driver put it under the bus and mom and dad were seated in the front seat being "handicapped." He used the scooter at some stops and at others, he prefered to walk. (he has to walk so much each day per doctors orders.). The driver was great toward mom and dad and their needs.

In Kona, they took a short trip to the town and visited some shops (using the shuttles). Dad didn't take his scooter but the crew was fantastic at helping him (and mom) in and out of the tender boats.

In Kauai, we rented a mini-van again on one day and used a Roberts Tour on the other day. Once again...the bus driver was great at helping him with the scooter when needed.

Onboard the ship, dad used the scooter sometimes if he had a longer way to go (like the main dining rooms) or if he was going to be wandering around the ship for a while. The Staff in Cadillac Diner made jokes about taking it out for a "spin" while he was eating...lol.

On our post cruise stay in Waikiki, we did not get a scooter, but the hotel said that we could use their wheelchair anytime we wanted. (dad is fiecely independent and hates the idea of "being pushed"). Luckily in Waikiki, there is enough shops and restaurants in walking distance and mom and dad and their friends had a great time doing that. (didn't hurt that the International Market was right next to our hotel....lol.)

When we went to the PCC, we rented a push wheel chair for dad (that took some arguing to get him to do that...lol) and we all took turns pushing him. (my 13 year old daughter did much of the pushing...she convinced dad that he had pushed her in her stroller when she was a baby, so now it was her turn to push him... he can't say no to his only grandchild...lol). PCC was more difficult because it is somewhat hilly but it worked out. And again, the staff was great toward dad. Our guide made it as easy as possible and helped keep my parents out of the sun as much as possible. The only complaint was on the mini-bus to the PCC when some inconsiderate people in the front two seats would not give up their seats ("we were here first") and made mom and dad go down the aisle about 3 seats. (of course the glares of 18 people in our group probably made those people uncomfortable....). I made sure to get on the bus first for the return trip and saved the front seat for my parents. The one couple who had sat in the front seat looked at my parents in the front seat (and me in the second seat) and "thought" about saying something....luckily they didn't because I was ready with "I guess we were here first"...lol).

Overall, it was a great trip for them and was much easier on them (and all of us) than we thought it would be.

The crew and the tour drivers will be very helpful....just remember to choose shore excursions that don't require much walking or activity. (or tours where much of it is scenery from the bus.) They can also skip some stops on tours by simply staying on the bus. And don't forget, if your parents are like mine, they also simply enjoy some "relaxing" time around the ship.

My parents and their friends both always get balcony cabins on cruises so that they can spend time out there without having to leave their cabin. So I would encourage a balcony cabin for them as well.

Archived