Vancouver early flight?

am2

Hoping to use miles to get to Vancouver for our cruise on the Zuiderdam next summer. Looks like the only flight to ORD for the miles we want to us, though, leave at 6:30am. Planning to stay a couple of days in Vancouver after the cruise anyway. Assuming we are staying somewhere in the west end area, what time would we need to leave the hotel (via taxi I assume) to get to the airport with enough time to clear customs and such? We have two kids but they are expert flyers. I saw another thread than mentioned long lines at the airport. Can I assume that's not so much an issue at 4:30am?

Hoping to use miles to get to Vancouver for our cruise on the Zuiderdam next summer. Looks like the only flight to ORD for the miles we want to us, though, leave at 6:30am. Planning to stay a couple of days in Vancouver after the cruise anyway. Assuming we are staying somewhere in the west end area, what time would we need to leave the hotel (via taxi I assume) to get to the airport with enough time to clear customs and such? We have two kids but they are expert flyers. I saw another thread than mentioned long lines at the airport. Can I assume that's not so much an issue at 4:30am?

It's not bad first thing, and IIRC US Customs & Immgration at YVR doesn't open until 5am anyway. (you pre-clear US formalities prior to boarding, so you don't in ORD)

In mid July we stayed a day in Vancouver after our Zuiderdam cruise. Our flight the next morning was At 7:00 am. We got to the airport at about 4:45 and had plenty of time to eat breakfast and look through shops (yes they were open). Lines were not a problem. We were at the gate before 5:30.

For a departure this early, I recommend staying right inside the airport, at the Fairmont. The entrance to the hotel is right above the check in counters for the US, so it can't get any closer! The hotel is beautiful (review and photos here), and there is a pool the kids will enjoy. However, it can be pricier than other hotels in the airport area, check for specials on their website. We also have small kids, and whenever we have had to fly out early from YVR we always stay here. Have not been disappointed yet!

Very early morning departures have the advantage of not having masses of cruise passengers in the lines.

You still need to be checked in 2 full hours before your flight.

I've done it both ways: flying out later in the day and also flying out earlier.

Earlier is certainly more peaceful.

For a departure this early, I recommend staying right inside the airport, at the Fairmont. The entrance to the hotel is right above the check in counters for the US, so it can't get any closer! The hotel is beautiful (review and photos here), and there is a pool the kids will enjoy. However, it can be pricier than other hotels in the airport area, check for specials on their website. We also have small kids, and whenever we have had to fly out early from YVR we always stay here. Have not been disappointed yet!

Thanks for the link, reading about the Fairmont was enjoyable and it looks beautiful.:) Did you do a post cruise anywhere? If so where. We are doing a Princess pre-cruise in Vancouver which we are looking forward to. We get to see Vancouver and Victoria. But coming back, I am still a little unsure of staying overnite or redeye.:eek: We are on the East Coast out of Portland, ME.

Archived