Bergen to Geiranger Fjord

BPCooper

I may be taking the Hurtigruten this early October. After September 15 they no longer sail into the Geiranger fjord, and I am trying to find ideas for visiting it from Bergen,, possibly for one or two nights as an excursion. I cannot find any tours that do this, and limited information on buses. I know rental cars are a possibility and the road connecting the two looks spectacular. I am from the US and am a little intimidated by that idea, but might opt for it.

I'm looking for ideas. Does anyone know of a way to visit it like this? Would anyone recommend a bus or renting a car instead?

Or does anyone think I am too focused on that particular fjord? Any tips on this would be appreciated. Thank you!

I may be taking the Hurtigruten this early October. After September 15 they no longer sail into the Geiranger fjord, and I am trying to find ideas for visiting it from Bergen,, possibly for one or two nights as an excursion. I cannot find any tours that do this, and limited information on buses. I know rental cars are a possibility and the road connecting the two looks spectacular. I am from the US and am a little intimidated by that idea, but might opt for it.

I'm not sure the exact reason they choose that date but do know that the main reason they don't sail into Geirangerfjord during the winter is the risk of avalanches. Have you seen the Bergen guide? I often find useful info here.

I also find the information on this website useful as a guide whether or not I actually use them to arrange anything.

You could do a google search for Norway in a Nutshell. This is a really good trip from Bergen to Geiranger by ferry, train and coach. I think several companies do it. The scenery around that area is fantastic.

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/en/explore-the-fjords/norway-in-a-nutshell//

http://www.bergen-guide.com/362.htm

We are from the US and rented a car in Alesund a couple of weeks ago and drove to the Geirangerfjord. It was a spectacular. If you rented a car in Bergen your experience would vary of course, not only because you'd be driving from Bergen, but also because of the difference between August and October. But given all that....I'm chiming in to say that renting a car can be a great option. If you're a willing to spend some time beforehand planning your route, including ferry schedules, the effort will be worth it. The scenery is breathtaking, and you'll be able to stop whenever you like.

Archived