Spirit - trip to Olympia?

We are on the Spirit on 30th September. Tickets arrived this week. Anyone got any suggestions as to which trips are better done with Thomsons and which can you do on your own. As an example is it possible to do Olympia by train or has this service now ceased.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.:)

We are on the Spirit on 30th September. Tickets arrived this week.

We are going on the 16th but when I checked the TA today he said the tickets wouldn't come in till next week! Are we the only ones with it being so late or are others for that date still ticketless?

I'm wondering if I need to phone and hassle somebody...

PS. Its a 50+ mile round trip into Glasgow so not something

I want to do weekly!

PPS. Sorry for hijacking a thread. I'm interested in the

Olympia trip options too! :-)

First time we went we intended to catch the train to Olympia (it's a tiny station at the end of the line at Katakolon) but there was a strike! so we were stuck in Katakolon.

Katakolon is a pretty little street with good tourist shops and attractive waterfront with cafes and the ship berths right in 'town'. There's a long sweep of compacted sand where you can have a decent walk if you want to and a small very stony bay where you can swim - but it really is a very small place and although very pleasant for a couple of hours - I'd say it's definitely worth heading out to Olympia.

Next time wewere there, Olympia had the lighting of the flame ceremony in the morning for the Winter Olympics so although you could go (our friends did on the train and saw the ceremony) you hadn't got access to all of the site. They had to head off back afterwards to ensure they got the train so didn't have time to tour the site after the ceremony. So giventhese complications, we decided we'd do the Thomson trip in the afternoon.

It was so much more and more interesting than I would have imagined. The guide brought the place to light and I'm certain I got more out of the visit than had we had no guide.

As for the train, I'd heard the service had stopped last year - but then seem to remember reading about it being in service again. So I'm very confused. I'd do a comprehensive Goggle search for 'Olympia train' and see if you can find out if it's really running. I'd picked up a timetable before we went when we'd planned to go by train. But hadn't bargained on a strike!!!

I'd definitely try to get there though - very worthwhile and as dscribed Katakolon is very pleasant but there's not a lot to occupy you for a day.

Good luck - sorry if I've not been much help with the train though! :confused:

P.S.

Other ports:-

We've done Athens four times as a Diy on the Metro. Personally wouldn't go on trip into Athens unless you have mobility problems. Get off the ship early and beat the crowds if you're going to the Acropolis.

Mykonos - just explore independently - it's a gem

Kusadasi - definitely recommend Thomson half day trip to Ephesus - it's an amazing place - but think the half-day option is sufficient and much cheaper than the full day options.

Ag Nik - lovle yto walk around but we thoroughly enjoyed the Spinalonga trip - we did the Thomson one but you can use the local boat trip (check timings though) or even do by bus/ferry. There is a recent thread about various options here if you can find it. I'll look if you can't find it and get back.

Corfu - if you arrive early or leave late would recommend going into the old town which is very interesting. You can walk it - or there's a bus from the port.

We went on the Thomson excursion to Olympia at the beginning of August, and as has previously been said, the guide really brought the place to life for us. I'd definitely recommend it! Also you get back to the ship with plenty of time to have a wander around Kataklon too :)

As a weird coincidence the wife of the guy in the bed next to me in Pyrgos was a Director at the Museum [ honestly! ] and has promised me a private tour if I ever get there;) would have loved going there

Good luck Keith - hope you make it - and what a wonderful opportunity. I'm not a big fan of museums but this one was so interesting and again, having the guide point out the most important artefacts and the history behind them was absoluteluy fascinating and made it for us.

The buses by the port are obviously a new thing - what a good idea. Perhaps this opportunity has been grasped as a result of the closure of the railway!

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. Extremely useful. It looks like Olympia by tour guide looks the best option. I also fancy the Ephesus trip so i will probably go for this as well. We arrive in Corfu after lunch on the first day so i had decided we will go into Corfu town for a nosey about! I dont want to spend the whole week on trips as my wife is not particularly into old ruins (other than me). I did wonder about Panoramic Crete. Any thoughts? or should we just spend our time looking around Ag Nik?:)

Just back from "your cruise" last week.

Have a look at my review:-

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=87844

What an interesting read, bds 1958, thank you.:) A very informative review which I'm sure will be a great help to others about to embark on this itinerary. It brings back very happy memories - I'd love to do this trip again.

And I do so agree with your assessment of the 'Thomson product'. We have tried other cruise lines but still prefer the warmth and ambience on Thomson ships - it's hard to quantify - but if like us, it's what makes your holiday, then it what keeps bringing us back for more! :D

P.S. I think you would love the Dream too. Happy future cruising. ;)

What an interesting read, bds 1958, thank you.:) A very informative review which I'm sure will be a great help to others about to embark on this itinerary. It brings back very happy memories - I'd love to do this trip again.

And I do so agree with your assessment of the 'Thomson product'. We have tried other cruise lines but still prefer the warmth and ambience on Thomson ships - it's hard to quantify - but if like us, it's what makes your holiday, then it what keeps bringing us back for more! :D

P.S. I think you would love the Dream too. Happy future cruising. ;)

Patmos eh? you do know the Book of Revelation by St John was written there dont you?:eek:

I had a good look in the book when I was there and couldn't find out next week's Lottery numbers.:confused:

Never even told me when my next cruise would be except it did confirm it will be with Thomson.:D

Tickets arrived today - what relief!

Now to start counting the days :-)

Isn't it great when the ticket booklet comes? I just love to get my hands on it - the holiday seems so real then! :D I'm like a kid at Christmas! :o

I always put it to one side though and save it until the evening so that I can pour over it at liesure and savour every last word with a glass of wine in my hand. (I know, I've read most of it before but it's a real treat!). Enjoy!!!:D:D

Archived