Adventure Ocean Club Tipping

funat55

How much do you tip the staff in the Adventure Ocean Club? I know they don't charge until after 10:00 pm but they really do entertain the kids and I have not seen any guidelines for compensating them in the way of a tip or gratuity.

The staff rotates, but we gave each of the staff that was there the most $20-$40 each. I am sure some tip more and some don't tip at all, so it totally varies. The staff were genuinely extremely appreciative. We actually went back at 1am the last night to find the last staff member we wanted to tip.

I am eagerly awaiting the answers. I really don't know how much I should tip the AO staff. Last cruise, I gave $100 to the head of AO and asked him to divvy it up. There were so many different people caring for my 2 kids during our cruise, there would be no way for me to pick specifically who to tip.

I am eagerly awaiting the answers. I really don't know how much I should tip the AO staff. Last cruise, I gave $100 to the head of AO and asked him to divvy it up. There were so many different people caring for my 2 kids during our cruise, there would be no way for me to pick specifically who to tip.

Wow, $100.00 sounds very generous but that is why I posted the question. There is lots of information on how much for your waiter, cabin steward etc. but nothing I can find on the staff that entertains the kids. I even did a search on this board and the family board and couldn't find anything. Maybe cruisemama will see this and have a definite answer.

We typically give them $50 on the last night in an envelope and tell them to divvy it up. Based on information I received on CC they are salaried ee's...which reduces the stress of "how much" is the right amount.

I am always at a loss on how to do this. On our first cruise there were only a few people running the program with my kids, who were in the same age level that year, so it was easy to tip. On other occasions I have given money to the head of the program. I also made a point on EOS on our last cruise (with Mom to 2 Princesses in April 2010) of submitting a glowing review of the program and naming all the people by name. One of them told me stuff like that gets them credit with the powers that be. Of all the things I have done I think money to the Director and praising those who were really good seems to be best. $100 does not seem like much when I work out how much time they spend looking after my kids.

Bob

I am always at a loss on how to do this. On our first cruise there were only a few people running the program with my kids, who were in the same age level that year, so it was easy to tip. On other occasions I have given money to the head of the program. I also made a point on EOS on our last cruise (with Mom to 2 Princesses in April 2010) of submitting a glowing review of the program and naming all the people by name. One of them told me stuff like that gets them credit with the powers that be. Of all the things I have done I think money to the Director and praising those who were really good seems to be best. $100 does not seem like much when I work out how much time they spend looking after my kids.

Bob

Bob, how are you?! My family did the same cruise in 2011 that we did in 2010 with you.

I chose $100 based on $50 per kid. Perhaps it was too much. But AO made our vacation so lovely for the adults...to have a 'date night' each night of our vacation...I suppose I was feeling generous.

Just wondering...why would you tip the people that bring you your food or drinks but not the people that look after you children?????

Because unlike the waiters, the AO staff is paid a fair wage by the cruiseline. It simply never occurred to us. (Our kids are young adults now, so many things have changed a bit since we used the kid's club, but I still think it is not necessary to tip the AO staff just like I wouldn't tip the CD or activity staff, or the person working the zipline or flowrider.)

Bob, how are you?! My family did the same cruise in 2011 that we did in 2010 with you.

I chose $100 based on $50 per kid. Perhaps it was too much. But AO made our vacation so lovely for the adults...to have a 'date night' each night of our vacation...I suppose I was feeling generous.

We are doing great. I was happy to see your name pop up. We are actually doing EOS on March 9 next year which corresponds with our school break. It gets us St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee and we have friends with their son, my mother and sister in law coming too. As for the tipping, I agree, when I figure out what it would cost for a babysitter for a date night every night it seems pretty small. I think like all tipping, it depends on personal preferences. In terms of being "on salary", I presume all of the staff get paid a salary so I did not really factor that into my thoughts.

Bob

P.S. Thanks for the advice on the other thread, I will proceed as you suggest.

We were on Radiance last March, and our boys (ages 6 and 8) spent alot of time in AO. They loved it there and really liked the staff. We got a blank envelope and left $100 on the last day with one of the staff. She said they would take it and distribute it. She was very appreciate, and for us, it was well worth the money. But we never felt like it was expected...just something we wanted to do personally to express our thanks.

We are doing great. I was happy to see your name pop up. We are actually doing EOS on March 9 next year which corresponds with our school break. It gets us St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee and we have friends with their son, my mother and sister in law coming too. As for the tipping, I agree, when I figure out what it would cost for a babysitter for a date night every night it seems pretty small. I think like all tipping, it depends on personal preferences. In terms of being "on salary", I presume all of the staff get paid a salary so I did not really factor that into my thoughts.

Bob

P.S. Thanks for the advice on the other thread, I will proceed as you suggest.

We're doing that exact same itinerary on 2/17. Great minds think alike :)

In April of 2011, my daughter begged for the 'ring master' position in the AO circus (remembering what your daughter got to do in 2011) but alas, she was allowed to wear the costume but there was no speaking/acting the part. The 2010 circus was much better than 2011 (which was basically a parade in costume, no acting the party.)

For our two kids we give $30 total at the end of the cruise. They are paid a decent salary already, it's not a tip based position. This is why you will see Americans working in OA:rolleyes:. Anyway, they are great with our kids so we do a little over $2 per kid a day. If all 600 kids on our spring break cruises did that they would make a ton that week at least. They have told me they all split the tips so no need to hand it out individually. BUT, do not feel like you HAVE to tip anything. It is not required thus no tipping guidlines by the line. I have tipped extra one night because I felt guilty for making the girl stay with my 3yo until 12:00 am when apparently all the other little one had left by 10:30. It was our first cruise and I didn't know that they wouldn't take her over to the 5 to 7 when numbers were low. Anyway, dd was happy as a clam curled up watching Nemo getting lots of attention. She didn't want to leave until the movie was over but of course I made her go. It was a west coast cruise so to her it was relatively early.

We always give $100 for in an envelope to the director to divy up. We have 2 kids who spend hours in AO everyday plus a teen. The staff make our kids vacation awesome so we are happy to tip. They really go all out entertainng our kids.

my 2 sons 7,6 loved ao..it was a headache getting them out of there.. at 2 ports they didnt want to get off the ship.. they spent hour upon hour in oa.. they where taken to johhny rockets 4 times for lunch and put on a great pirate show for the whole ship ... wish they would have spent more time with me and the wife.. but we let them decide how to spend thier vacation..as for the tip we decided on $75 each child so we gave a $150. the amounts they suggest for someone who just makes my bed in 15 mins or tells stupid jokes during dinner doesnt compare to the person who spent about 35 hrs with my children playing with them and keeping them safe....we actually deducted alittle from the other envelopes to give more to ao club . beside how do you know its a decent salary??the only thing that bothers me about cruising is the way the staff on the ships are treated.. so im to believe all the workers are exploited and treated like garbage . but the salary staff is treated good??

We tipped $40 total for 2 kids ages 3 and 6. We were on the 3 night Monarch. They went to AO for a few hours on 2 different days and were picked up early from the MDR on 2 different occasions as well. They loved it and didn't want to leave. We did not use the after 10pm pay service. Guess it averaged out to $10 per kid per day.

We're doing that exact same itinerary on 2/17. Great minds think alike :)

In April of 2011, my daughter begged for the 'ring master' position in the AO circus (remembering what your daughter got to do in 2011) but alas, she was allowed to wear the costume but there was no speaking/acting the part. The 2010 circus was much better than 2011 (which was basically a parade in costume, no acting the party.)

Our kids had such a good time in AO that they helped us convince friends of ours to join us next year. We showed the video in review which has our daughter front and centre on the circus parade, including her speaking parts. It all reminds me why I feel like tipping them - the kids as well as my wife and I have a great time and AO staff are wonderful. All service industry jobs seem to rely on tips and I don't mind tipping waiters, waitresses, stewards, the guys who take our bags and throw them into the bin at port, so AO staff should not be treated differently.

Enjoy your Feb cruise - I know we are looking forward to our March 2012 one.

Bob

Archived