Review: Destiny Aug 2011

Many thanks, Ceabea.:o

We are desperate to find recent reviews, as first timers we really don´t know what to expect!! Glad to hear there is a small amount of re-furb going on, also see that she is coming to the Canaries and doing the Col. Coasts Itin. for a couple of weeks and then the Dream takes over for 3 wks until 2nd Dec. is that a normal maintenance/refurb ?? No matter, I think we will have a great time.;)

One question, the all important access to Sky and Mast Bars, Husb. has probs with stairs, is there lift access ? Any other info greatly appreciated.

Regards , mari, Lanzarote

Many thanks, Ceabea.:o

We are desperate to find recent reviews, as first timers we really don´t know what to expect!! Glad to hear there is a small amount of re-furb going on, also see that she is coming to the Canaries and doing the Col. Coasts Itin. for a couple of weeks and then the Dream takes over for 3 wks until 2nd Dec. is that a normal maintenance/refurb ?? No matter, I think we will have a great time.;)

One question, the all important access to Sky and Mast Bars, Husb. has probs with stairs, is there lift access ? Any other info greatly appreciated.

Regards , mari, Lanzarote

there is a lift that goes right to the top of the sky bar - you find it going round the back of Blakes.

The mast bar.... do you know I'm not sure! I don't ever use a lift (its a good excuse to eat/drink a few more calories if im running up and down the stairs all day) and I only know that theres a sky bar lift because we raced a couple up the stairs when they took the lift LOL - hopefully someone else can tell you about that one. There is def lift access to the pool deck though and lots of nice places to sit, and plenty bar staff coming round taking your order and bringing you drinks so no real need to go up to the mast bar at all :D

Many thanks for the lift info. Even better that there is waiter service !! Husb. is a little old fashioned and insists on getting the drinks( rather than me/ladies in general!) and if there were a few steps to negotiate , would probably spill most of it.

The other question is that, according to a reviewer on Destiny around the same time, there is now a small surcharge for premium brand drinks and (orange) juice to use as a mixer. We are on the AI package but it seems that it still applies..:confused:.it could mount up a bit for us !!:rolleyes:

again, thankyou & hope you have time to reply. mari , Lanz.

we were AI and the only drinks we paid any supplement for was the (alcoholic) coffee of the day. All the regular spirits, wines and mixers were free on AI, as were 2/3 of the cocktails and mocktails and the regular coffees from the bars (cappuccino and latte etc) - take a look at the drinks list when you arrive - if theres a little asterix and an extra price next to the regular price - then its classed as a premium drink and the extra price is the supplement you pay if you are on AI. Bottled beers, premium spirits and whiskys and some liquers are 'premium' - but the 'house' drinks and mixers are all included in the AI (and the house spirits are all named brands like smirnoff, gordons etc)

Im sure I sneaked a drinks list into my pile of cruise news to bring home, will go have a look through...

Hi, Clare,

so kind of you to help us Newbies, if the gordons/smirnoff is included on AI we are happy:o Don´t mind in the least splashing a little cash on speciality coffee etc. I might even join you on the race to the Sky Bar (who won incidentally ?) Just had an e.mail reminder that our balance is due, supposed to be on the 23rd Sept, should I pay up now or is this the first of many?:confused: all the best , mari

Mari i think they are just reminding you nice and early that they want your money LOL

it was the lift that won, but only because there was people coming down the stairs that held us up!!

Juliesjet - hello :) no drinks packages available to purchase on board, you buy it before you go or you charge each drink to your account and pay on the day you leave.

i do have a drinks menu - will get it scanned in later today and upload it for you so you can see the current prices/choices.

Many thanks Clare, I have read many of you posts and found them all really full of info for us first timers.:)

Juliesjet, guess you are boarding in Santa Cruz with us, hope we bump into each other, we can swop answers to all our daft questions we Newbies are likely to ask... we were lucky and got the AI for 98 gbp when we booked, dunno if we would have forked out the regular 398 gbp, :confused:but as you probably know you are freely allowed to bring drinkies aboard and buy on ship for use in your cabin ( my Posh cruise friends on P&O and NCL tell me they smuggle it to the cabaret / pool /bars discreetly... small plastic water bottles etc. BIG handbags) so looking forward to Dec. hope the sea is calm, stocking up on Stugeron. mari, Lanzarote

Hi all,

First post on this site. We are booked on the Colourful Coasts cruise and stay in March 2012, and had the AI drinks package for £49 ea. I don't know the on-board prices, but if between £3 and £4, we'll be quids in, in no time!! Happy days I think. :)

we were AI and the only drinks we paid any supplement for was the (alcoholic) coffee of the day. All the regular spirits, wines and mixers were free on AI, as were 2/3 of the cocktails and mocktails and the regular coffees from the bars (cappuccino and latte etc) - take a look at the drinks list when you arrive - if theres a little asterix and an extra price next to the regular price - then its classed as a premium drink and the extra price is the supplement you pay if you are on AI. Bottled beers, premium spirits and whiskys and some liquers are 'premium' - but the 'house' drinks and mixers are all included in the AI (and the house spirits are all named brands like smirnoff, gordons etc)

Im sure I sneaked a drinks list into my pile of cruise news to bring home, will go have a look through...

Any idea what the suites are like on the top deck? and how quiet/noist they are?

thanks

Just back from Destiny (Thur 15th Sept) can confirm that a large glass of wine in all bars is £3.70; pint of San Miguel £3.25; Gin & Tonic £2.90 (bargain!), cocktails £3.95+. Generally prices are slightly less than your average city bar back home.Watch out for cost of key for your safety deposit box in cabin, £15 per week non refundable.

Jim the Scot and Ceabea, thanks for the info. Our first ever cruise, so looking forward to testing the AI package.

All-inclusive, free or otherwise, to us makes for a very relaxing cruise. The attentive waiters are always coming round asking "Would you like a drink?" "Ooh yes please," you say, sign the chit, sit back and enjoy. Money at that point does not rear it's ugly head. It's like being a welcome guest at a party. You can try new drinks without worrying you won't like them and might be wasting your money.

Just after we came back last year I went for a night out and completely forgot to take my purse: I was so used to not having to think about paying for a drink! Red face and scrounging off friends for the night, oops!

Carol x

• 1 month later...

Archived