Vodafone call charges at sea

Greetings, I have read a number of posts on other threads that say mobile calls are more expensive at sea than in port, but I've spoken to vodafone and they say it costs no more...also checked out this website http://www.mcp.com/princess/ but it refers back to provider for pricing...

My question is for anyone with vodafone who has made calls at port in NZ and also at sea...do the calls at sea cost extra??? Thanks...

Did you call Mumbai :D

Yes, it will cost more in port as well as at sea. More at sea. You also pay to receive the calls whether you are at sea or in port!

And secondly, it won't cost you anymore at sea.....because I can guarantee you will not receive any calls via Vodaphone....they are not capable of connecting to the maritime connection and you will have absolutely no service.......the only exception I found was when I was on the Rhapsody. I have never had any service on a P&O or Princess ship.

Did you call Mumbai :D

Yes, it will cost more in port as well as at sea. More at sea. You also pay to receive the calls whether you are at sea or in port!

And secondly, it won't cost you anymore at sea.....because I can guarantee you will not receive any calls via Vodaphone....they are not capable of connecting to the maritime connection and you will have absolutely no service.......the only exception I found was when I was on the Rhapsody. I have never had any service on a P&O or Princess ship.

Deb, i have international roaming on my mobile and i can get service at sea on princess and p&o ships but we are with Telstra

That's interesting rkmw...my boyfriend has telstra and he usually has better service in remote areas.

Did you notice a difference in cost between calls made from port to calls made at sea?

hi amber, i try not to use the phone while at sea because of the cost but its cheaper to text

calling cost at sea is independent of your carrier (except as noted some carriers don't participate) The costs are figured by the company that provides the service and they are uniformly expensive but the charges can be looked up at various sites (In the US the carriers such as tmobile or ATT will allow you to see the roaming charges in various places and the ships are listed.). Once in port you will roam "normally" so it depends on where you are what the charges will be.

Yup, Telstra has service 99.9% of the time from what I have seen and heard. Most of the others can't connect to maritime for whatever reason.....I have done extensive research on this onboard :D I'm waiting for my contract to expire and hellloooo new provider. Sadly it will be Telstra, however, ya gotta do what ya gotta do :p

Telstra are also better for "roaming" around Australia as well as OS land.

Personally, I only text even when I get to land, but I still like to be able to be accessible......well not really, but those I leave behind like to know I'm accessible :rolleyes:

hi amber, i try not to use the phone while at sea because of the cost but its cheaper to text

I'll probably text mostly...but would like to call occassionally...looks like I'm better off waiting till I'm in port...

calling cost at sea is independent of your carrier (except as noted some carriers don't participate) The costs are figured by the company that provides the service and they are uniformly expensive but the charges can be looked up at various sites (In the US the carriers such as tmobile or ATT will allow you to see the roaming charges in various places and the ships are listed.). Once in port you will roam "normally" so it depends on where you are what the charges will be.

I thought the at sea calls were different - even though vodafone says they are the same :rolleyes: but the info I've read is all US based...so I thought I'd try asking the aussies...

Personally, I only text even when I get to land, but I still like to be able to be accessible......well not really, but those I leave behind like to know I'm accessible :rolleyes:

I kinda want to actually be accessible...'cos I'm cruising with my mum, not the boyfriend...and I'm hoping he might miss me (just a bit :p) if I'm gone for two weeks...lol

I'll probably text mostly...but would like to call occassionally...looks like I'm better off waiting till I'm in port...

I agree. Just got back and checked my account charges with Telstra. The per minute cost for calls varied from 3.02 when calling from ashore in Noumea to 5.07 at sea. Texting was MUCH less expensive. All calls while at sea were $1 to $1.50 higher per minute than calling from on shore. BTW I made all my on shore calls from off the ship - no idea if that makes a difference - doubt it as I rang in Sydney using local Telstra connection.

Colleen

When at sea the ships are supposed to have their own service for mobiles..This is charged at international roaming rates and very expensive.. When in port the ships are supposed to disable this so that mobiles revert to normal service (or roaming if overseas).

Thats how it is supposed to work, whether or not is does is anyones guess.

Hi rekkie, yes, according to Maritime Communications Partners (MCP) http://www.mcp.com/princess/

"The CellAtSea™ service will automatically shut down when a ship is entering port, and will automatically power on when a ship leaves port. This is necessary so as not to interfere with shore based cellular networks. The distance from shore at which the system is powered on or off will vary depending on the specific laws for each port of call."

The info in this website is interesting...but so vague that it's not very useful :rolleyes:

Ah well, the best learning comes from experience...:)

Hi rekkie, yes, according to Maritime Communications Partners (MCP) http://www.mcp.com/princess/

"The CellAtSea™ service will automatically shut down when a ship is entering port, and will automatically power on when a ship leaves port. This is necessary so as not to interfere with shore based cellular networks. The distance from shore at which the system is powered on or off will vary depending on the specific laws for each port of call."

The info in this website is interesting...but so vague that it's not very useful :rolleyes:

Ah well, the best learning comes from experience...:)

And your first bill when you get home :eek: :D :p

Archived