Frommers walking tour in Nassau

dogchopper

I know this is going to sound stupid but..how do I do this on my own?

I have never done an excursion with out booking it thru carnival, so .. how do I do this? Get off the ship and take a cab to??

Also, I wanted to maybe do the Ardastra Gardens if thats near this and doable in the same day?

Thanks for answering a dumb question..

I know this is going to sound stupid but..how do I do this on my own?

I have never done an excursion with out booking it thru carnival, so .. how do I do this? Get off the ship and take a cab to??

Also, I wanted to maybe do the Ardastra Gardens if thats near this and doable in the same day?

Thanks for answering a dumb question..

When it comes to not knowing something there is no such thing as a dumb question. You asked, and that is good enough.

To walk from the ship's dock into town is very easy and straight forward. You don't need a guide nor the ship's tour. A bit of good advice and planning helps.

If you can read a map, like to walk, have a few hours and want to learn a bit about what Nassau is all about, you might consider doing a 'walking tour'. Here is one that many have used. It is based on the one put together by Frommer but has a better map and pictures, plus some history and suggestions about the local ambiance. http://www.*****.com/nassau.html

Be sure to try some of the local food for lunch and visit the Hilton's beach area. Then you could either take a local bus, cab or walk to the Ardastra Gardens. It is not that far, but a cab maybe your best bet.

Lair Bear's walking tours are FANTASTIC!!!!. Do check out the link he provided in his earlier post. We have done his Tallinn walk and will do the the Nassau and Dubrovnik walks in 2012. If you follow his descriptions and photo landmarks, you won't go wrong....Thanks again Lair Bear!!!!

Lair Bear's walking tours are FANTASTIC!!!!. Do check out the link he provided in his earlier post. We have done his Tallinn walk and will do the the Nassau and Dubrovnik walks in 2012. If you follow his descriptions and photo landmarks, you won't go wrong....Thanks again Lair Bear!!!!

I personnally know Lair Bear and just heard that Cruise Critic has taken him off the board. The claim was that he 'promoted his web site too much'.

I happen to like this guy and all he was trying to do was to let others enjoy what he and his wife do and that is travel the world. What if he tried to share his walking tours with others? Is that bad?

If you want to contact him you could send him an email. www at ******** dot com.

I see that even to mention his name is taboo. So you might try brentje with an s at the end.

I agree. Too bad he is no longer permitted to be part of Cruise Critic.

Hub and I did a self-guided walking tour of Nassau on our first cruise. We had much better stories at dinner that night than the organized tour folks. Don't miss Queen Anne's stairs.

I don't remember where I found the map & directions, it was some random website several years ago... but I'm sure that you can find something similar. Bring lots of water, although I remember stopping at a pirate bar for a drink somewhere along the path ;). It was probably five miles from start to finish. With hills.

Well, Im glad I bookmarked the link.. Did I miss something or what.. cuz I didnt see anything about a charge on there for the tour? Unless I just didnt read it all the way thru. I just kind of skimmed thru the site but I didnt see any fees involved?

It makes no sense to me that he was removed. There has been no charge for his walking tours when I have used them from the website. It has been great free info which is what these forums are supposed to be all about as far as I am aware. There must be more to the story.

It makes no sense to me that he was removed. There has been no charge for his walking tours when I have used them from the website. It has been great free info which is what these forums are supposed to be all about as far as I am aware. There must be more to the story.

From what I understand, Lair Bear tried to get into CC a few days ago and found a message saying that he had been 'suspended' because he promoted his web site too much. All references to his walking tours and all the help he has tried to give others are just blown away. He never got a warning. I certainly am not aware that there is such a rule on CC.

He thinks there is some relationship to his recent posting about a walking tour in Dubrovnik. It seems there are people there who think that his walking tour would be taking away business from local tour guides. At least that is what he told me.

Now I am not sure what to think, except I agree with you that all he was doing is to provide us with good ideas and information about neat places to visit. His web site never 'promoted' any commercial outfits. He and his wife just wanted to share their experiences with others. I just don't understand how tour guides can dictate what should be posted and not (again if that is the case here).

If you want more information you might send him an email: s******** at comcast dot net. Again that is sbrentje plus an s at the end. I also found his web site by using google.

From what I understand, Lair Bear tried to get into CC a few days ago and found a message saying that he had been 'suspended' because he promoted his web site too much. All references to his walking tours and all the help he has tried to give others are just blown away. He never got a warning. I certainly am not aware that there is such a rule on CC.

He thinks there is some relationship to his recent posting about a walking tour in Dubrovnik. It seems there are people there who think that his walking tour would be taking away business from local tour guides. At least that is what he told me.

Now I am not sure what to think, except I agree with you that all he was doing is to provide us with good ideas and information about neat places to visit. His web site never 'promoted' any commercial outfits. He and his wife just wanted to share their experiences with others. I just don't understand how tour guides can dictate what should be posted and not (again if that is the case here).

If you want more information you might send him an email: s******** at comcast dot net. Again that is sbrentje plus an s at the end. I also found his web site by using google.

I think there were quite a few of us dedicated cc members promoting his website and walking tours....because it is very useful info for people who like to DIY. For me this is what these forums are all about! Sharing information and experiences to help other travelers with their planning! We may have inadvertently contributed to the problem by talking up his walking tours?????

I am so mad at myself I had looked at his map and pictures but couldn't print it at the time and today when I came back I find out it has been BANNED!!!! What in the world is wrong with him helping out his fellow CC members by offering them an alternative~I understand that this site is owned by a travel site but come on some people~like me~have been to Nassau 6x and have done paid tours and are not looking for guided tour but want to do it on their own. This is crazy~I guess rules are rules but if he was not soliciting what was the problem?

Well, I sure agree it makes no sense.. I went back and looked at the link and didn't see anything that would promote anyone's business.. Maybe that's the problem.. maybe he is taking business away from others buy telling us how to do it ourselves.. HOW HORRIBLE!! Well, like i said, I'm glad I book marked it!! I don't mind paying for an excursion if im snorkeling or something, but I cant see paying to walk up and down the street..

OH well.. I will just be grateful I got the info before it wad 'banned'.. and I do feel bad for them because they seemed to be just trying to help people like us out!

I am so mad at myself I had looked at his map and pictures but couldn't print it at the time and today when I came back I find out it has been BANNED!!!! What in the world is wrong with him helping out his fellow CC members by offering them an alternative~I understand that this site is owned by a travel site but come on some people~like me~have been to Nassau 6x and have done paid tours and are not looking for guided tour but want to do it on their own. This is crazy~I guess rules are rules but if he was not soliciting what was the problem?

If you do aGoogle search for him and walking tour Nassau you will find the site.

Archived