HELP -- 5 Zipline's but Which One?

SmileEh

Hello Fellow Cruise Critic's..

I'd appreciate your opinions/comments on which of the 5 Zipline's you would rate number 1. As I'll probably only visit Roatan once I'd love to do the best one :D

Mayan Jungle Canopy

Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme

Pirates of the Caribbean Standard

South Shore Canopy

Monkey Trail Canopy

We really like South Shore - 13 zips - the last one is really awesome. We always go with Ronystours. It's great to go with him - he drops off those that want to zip - the rest go to the beach. Then he picks up those who zipped and all can meet at the beach. You will definately have a great day with Rony!

We went with Rony's Tours as well and loved it. Although, we asked to go to Pirates because you do not have to do the hand breaking. We really enjoyed it. They have/had a monkey you could hold and pet as well. don't waste your money at Bodden's! We did and found we had more interaction time with the one at Pirates. If you look at Rony's tours dot com site, you will see the breakdown for heights, lengths, and total number of zips. I'm sure you can't go wrong as I've heard great things with both of these. We did not prebook for Pirates. We were off the ship asap, headed to our guide, and the first ones on the zips for the day.

My husband and I did the Extremely Extreme Zipline (9 runs) with Pirates of the Carribbean Nov 2010 and it was awesome..really loved it. Would highly recommend Pirates of the Carribbean it and would do it again in a heartbeat...Jeanne

We really like South Shore - 13 zips - the last one is really awesome. We always go with Ronystours. It's great to go with him - he drops off those that want to zip - the rest go to the beach. Then he picks up those who zipped and all can meet at the beach. You will definately have a great day with Rony!

I'm looking to Zip, and my wife doesn't will not be zipping. South shore sounds like the zip for me. The zips sound nice, how was the beach?

Bob-Largoman

Seriously wanting to zipline for the first time next month. Was ready to book South Shore Zipline after reading many great reviews. However, I'm now wondering about this hand braking. :confused Can anyone explain? As a newbie is it better to do a zip without hand braking? Also to those who zip, what can you tell me about your position while flying through the air? Are you pretty comfortable sitting in the harness? Does it put much stress on your back? Can you control fairly easily how fast, slow you go and what position you remain in? Thanks

We just returned from our cruise on Carnival Dream. Although not our first cruise, it was our first time in Roatan. We had researched online ahead of time the different tours/companies offering ziplining. We decided on Pirates of the Caribbean based on other reviews. We originally thought that our group of 4 adults and 4 kids (14,12,8,8) would be doing half on the extreme zip and the other half on the extremely extreme zip. When our driver, Edder, picked us up and while driving explained to us the difference in the two set-ups, we decided all to do the extremely extreme zip. There are 8 lines total in the extremely extreme zip. You do not have to do any self hand-braking as the guides at each platform will stop you if necessary or bring you in if you fall short. We had three very friendly and helpful guides. My husband and our 8 year son and myself and our 8 year old daughter zipped together for the first three lines and then separated for the last five lines. There is a photographer there who will get great pictures if needed and they will put them all on a CD when finished. We had a blast and would 100% do it again.

***One word of caution*** When getting off the boat and walking down the street to wait for the bus, make sure you do not go with one of the 20-some people who WILL tell you they are with the company and will take you there. We had to wait for about 15 minutes and got a lot of them angry since we couldn't go. When Edder did pick us up he told us that they would've taken us but then they try and bargain a deal with the company but will stick you with the bill for the ride. As long as you get on the bus with the actual company there is no fee for that, it's inclusive of your ziplining rate. Just a side note!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking the South Shore Canopy location is gonna be the one.. was looking at the Mayan Jungle Canopy but am being pulled away by the fact that many people are saying it was a great beginner zipline.. myself, I have ziplined before so that might not be the best one for me? Would love to hear more from others.

Please can anyone tell me if the ziplines have towers with stairs you have to climb to get to the top to zip? If so, how strenuous is climbing these stairs! I want to zip so bad but can't handle endless stairs!

We did South Shore Canopy about 4 years ago and really liked it. I think there were 16 lines at that time. Guides were great...used our cameras and took tons of pics as we were coming into each stop. The only negative was...at that time... you had to kinda jump up to get attached to each line. By the later zips you get a little tired. Other than that it was a great experience. The last run was about 800 feet and was pretty fast.

Archived