Cruising to Miami and Port Canaveral next month

BlueVinney

Apologies - originally posted in East Coast forum. Fingers moving faster than brain :D

We'll be cruising from the UK and visiting Miami and Port Canaveral on 10/17 and 10/18. When we're in port we prefer to do our own thing.

Miami

We'd thought about using an Easyticket on the Metrobus, Metrotrain and Metrobus so we can choose what we want to do and see. Is this a good plan?

It looks as though we can use Route 243 from the cruise terminal into Downtown and then at some time use Route 120 to Miami Beach.

Thanks for any ideas and plans of what to see.

Port Canaveral

There doesn't look like much to visit near the port other than head for Orlando. We've visited central Florida and Cocoa Beach many times when the kids were small but I've probably misjudged what's available there is now.

So would it be best to rent a car? Where should we visit and what should we look out for?

Any help and advice would be welcome

Thanks

having lived in Miami for 10 years scattered over the last 30 I would not recommend public transportation unless you are VERY familiar with the system. Sadly, few US cities have public transportation that compares favorably with EU systems, and Miami isn't high on that list IMO.

METRORAIL and METROMOVER are OK but the bus system can get very interesting very fast. As can a rental car. While the city is no where near as interesting as it was in the 80's you can still find yourself in an interesting part of town with one bad turn. RAIL and MOVER don't go to Miami Beach.

I feel very comfortable with the taxi service but certainly it does cost more.

for Canaveral/Cocoa yes public transportation is very sparse here too, but the area is super easy to navigate by rental car; hard to get lost and the most interesting thing you'll run into with a bad turn is a 'gator or a manatee

Things to do? You can google any of these for more info:

- most interesting is Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center: lot's of space oriented things here and a very popular attraction

- Brevard Zoo and/or Tree Top Trek: the zoo is a nice little zoo good for several hours but less than a full day. TTT is a new attraction at the zoo, but sep' from the zoo. A group of climbing paths / rope bridges and zip-lines above some zoo attractions. This is a strenuous activity ... 1 to 2 hours depending on course selected.

- I believe there is an operation of Segway tours in Cocoa Beach near RonJon

- surfing lessons

- airboat rides (Lone Cabbage Fish Camp in one operation)

- RonJon visit for obligitory t-shirt purchase.

Thanks Capt_BJ

Doing so much cruising in Europe makes me forget the times in the US. (Used to be with Caterpillar Corp so have been familiar with how it is)

Appreciate the difference between interesting and interesting so I guess bus travel is off limits. Pity as bus journeys in the UK are interesting, as you can get where you want and see the sights without having to worry about driving yourself.

Guess I'll have to track down a tour operator for Miami and get a rental car for Port Canaveral.

So, thanks for your helpful comments.

Archived