Toulon to St. tropez

Pather

Hi - thinking of taking an excursion from RCCL Liberty from Toulon to St. Tropez. Expensive for just a bus trip and walking tour. How long (time) is the bus ride Toulon to St. Tropez? Wondering if there's a better choice than excursion. Any other Toulon excursions worth considering? Thanks!

I normally do not do excursions (we do everything on our own in that part of the wrold) so cannot speak to your excursion options other then the fact that any cruise line excursion is overpriced! That being said, St Tropez would not be high on our list of places to see from this port. If they have an excursion that goes into Provence to places like Arles, Aix en Provence, Avignon and Pont du Gard you might want to consider visiting Provence.

Hank

Thanks Hank. They do have one to Aix. Maybe we'd do that. We too rarely do ship excursions but sounds like a port where they are the best choices. Many seem to think it's a wasted stop - some even recommend staying on the ship and resting up for the long days ahead in Florence, Rome, and Naples. We'd hate to do that.

Thanks Hank. They do have one to Aix. Maybe we'd do that. We too rarely do ship excursions but sounds like a port where they are the best choices. Many seem to think it's a wasted stop - some even recommend staying on the ship and resting up for the long days ahead in Florence, Rome, and Naples. We'd hate to do that.

We have been somewhat outspoken about this port as we think it is a horrible location. Especially when one considers that Marseille is relatvely close and a much better port in terms of location and transportation options. We have questioned two different cruise directors (on recent cruises) as to why the cruise lines were now using Toulon and the CDs had no clue. Personally, we would probably avoid a cruise that used this port (we consider ports and times in ports when we choose Med cruises). We do know this part of France quite well (having driven all over this region on quite a few trips) and still would not know what we would do in this port. I suppose we would rent a car and just meander along the coast towards the east (direction of St Tropez), but this would not be the highlight of our trip :)

Hank

Hi, I just want to prevent you that it does not exist a train station in St tropez, the only way is by taxi which is really expensive (280 euros). Sure there is a puclic transport VARLIB ( 2euros one way ticket) but there are not on Sunday only from Monday to Friday but you need to weak up really early because the bus leaves at 8am. I hope I answered your question

We took a tour with Celebrity in May to St. Tropez. I can't remember exactly, but I want to say it was at least 2 hours via bus. It was a beautiful place. The day we were there it was VERY loud. 7000 Harley bikers were having a rally. The French ladies in the expensive stores were not amused by the loud engines roaring through their tiny streets. I am glad we went and I am glad I saw it.

Have you thought of nearby Cassis? It's a pretty coastal/ beach resort to chill out and have lunch in, and has the added bonus of the spectacular calanques nearby. You can visit the nearer one on foot and there is also a little tourist train, through I'm not sure whether it runs outside the summer season.

Cassis white wine is excellent, incidentally, and hard to get outside the area because of the limited production, so be sure to have a glass or two if you go for this option.

You can get there by train from Toulon. The only downside is that in Cassis the station is on a hill outside the town, so it's a bit of a walk when you get there.

More about the calanques: http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles/what-to-see-tourist-attractions/237-the-calanques.html

Archived