Sharing a drink with someone else with a drinks package

Moomintroll

So, as always there are many threads kicking around concerning the sharing and the not sharing of drinks packages. I have a related question which I was going to piggyback onto someone else's thread but realized it was already fraught with conflict. Anyway, here it is: DH and I will both have the premium alcohol package for our cruise. I might wish to order something I haven't tried and not enjoy it. Rather than wasting it, I might wish to give it to my DH (in reality, it might go to waste anyway if he doesn't like it or doesn't want it, but I digress..)

Now, I understand that theoretically this is wrong. But waste a drink, or give it to my DH who also has the package then get another for myself? Will flashing lights and alarm bells ensue? Any experience with this?

If you both have Premium Packages, clearly not an issue or even in question. But if you are going to order a new drink within minutes, you might want to tell the bartender or waiter/waitress why, so they don't think you are sharing.

Of course, if you make this a habit and toss every other drink, it might raise alarms and i would ask the bartender to help with selections based on what types of drinks you like. Most good bartenders should be able to make spot on recommendations based on you telling them what other types of drinks you do and don't like.

one of the benefits of the package is the ability to try new things and if you don't like it...try another. That is very different than someone looking for how to get 10-14 days of drinks by sharing a package ment for 1.

So, as always there are many threads kicking around concerning the sharing and the not sharing of drinks packages. I have a related question which I was going to piggyback onto someone else's thread but realized it was already fraught with conflict. Anyway, here it is: DH and I will both have the premium alcohol package for our cruise. I might wish to order something I haven't tried and not enjoy it. Rather than wasting it, I might wish to give it to my DH (in reality, it might go to waste anyway if he doesn't like it or doesn't want it, but I digress..)

Now, I understand that theoretically this is wrong. But waste a drink, or give it to my DH who also has the package then get another for myself? Will flashing lights and alarm bells ensue? Any experience with this?

No, it is NOT wrong. (Theoretically or otherwise).

You paid for the drink.

You own said drink.

It is YOURS to do with as you wish.

You are NOT sharing a package.

Enjoy.....

Looks like your question has been addressed - not an issue.

Now I have a question for you. I see you are a transplant from Southampton. We cruise out of there in May 2012 on an Equity Baltic cruise. We did the Princess Around the UK cruise this last August and enjoyed a few days in Southampton going over to the Isle of Wight and so on and enjoyed a pub/dining at Cowherds. This May we are staying a few days in Winchester nearby. Anything a 'must see'/'must do' in Winchester that locals know about? We will do the Cathedral and the Round Table, but any advice from a 'native' would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Den

Looks like your question has been addressed - not an issue.

Now I have a question for you. I see you are a transplant from Southampton. We cruise out of there in May 2012 on an Equity Baltic cruise. We did the Princess Around the UK cruise this last August and enjoyed a few days in Southampton going over to the Isle of Wight and so on and enjoyed a pub/dining at Cowherds. This May we are staying a few days in Winchester nearby. Anything a 'must see'/'must do' in Winchester that locals know about? We will do the Cathedral and the Round Table, but any advice from a 'native' would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Den

Hello Den! The Cowherds was my stomping ground for many an evening!

You're in for a treat, Winchester is delightful. Of course you will have read about the Cathedral, etc.

I don't know where your interests lie, but if you like trains the Mid Hants Railway http://www.watercressline.co.uk/Home

offers some great steam train trips - if you're in town on a Saturday evening there's a "real ale" train from Alton which is a fun trip.

Jane Austen lived in Winchester; if you're a literary buff you can visit her house and also a library of women's literature from the 17th to 19th Century at Chawton House.

If you're a motor buff Beaulieu (pronounced Byoo-lee) has a motor museum (I think Beaulieu is around 30 minutes or so from Winchester, unsure if you will have a car)

If you love flora and the weather is up to it the Hillier Gardens (between Winchester and Romsey) are well worth a visit.

So far as food is concerned, you can't go wrong with the British favorite, an Indian Curry house :) There's a good one called the Bengal Sage, right in town. For a more local experience, great local cuisine can be found at the Chesil Rectory (and in a wonderful building!) on Chesil Street.

Let me know if there's anything in particular you're interested in, and if you have any questions!

Candace

If you're sharing with someone else who has the same package, I don't see it as wrong. But I would also say to just go ahead and "waste" the drink. Let him drink whatever he wants, not what ends up as leftovers. You're on vacation and have both already paid for the privelege of ordering whatever drinks you want -- why give him something that while he might find to be 'ok', isn't what he really wants?

I had repeated conversations with my GF about this, as she insisted that she shouldn't "waste" drinks onboard and was trying to finish things she didn't like (even though we both had premium packages)! Drink gets warm/watery/just doesn't taste the way you want it to/whatever...order a new one or something else, that's what you've paid for.

Thanks everyone for your input, and sczcardfan your reply made me smile, I'm glad I'm not the only one worrying about wasting drinks and DH will be glad someone pointed out he was going to be stuck with my leftovers if I don't get over it! :):)

Archived