Beer on the Mariner

Hi! I'm just wondering what the beer selection is like on the Mariner. I'm more of a beer drinker than a wine drinker (though I enjoy a nice glass of wine...just know very little about it in comparison with beer). Problem is, I'm a bit of a beer snob...I refuse to drink most of the mass-marketed brands. My tastes run towards dark beers (Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is perhaps the best thing I've ever tasted), although in the heat of the summer a nice light hefeweizen is always appreciated. So, anyway...what's the selection like? Any craft brews? Do they ever have local brews onboard? And any suggestions for local Alaskan brews I should check out while in port?

Grolish (sp?) was once available on the Diamond. Samual Adams was listed on the beer list of other RSSSC ships but usually not available. Forget the beer as far as on board drinking. Ships can carry so much. You will find a couple of free Heinekens in your cabin. I had a good Alaska beer on one of the ship's port of call; but can't remember the name. Tonight I'm savoring an " Old Fog

Horn" a barley wine style ale. Nail the wine.

I'm a beer lover headed for Alaska on the Mariner. From what I read on the various boards and in some of the travel books,beer appears to be Alaska's state pasttime. Most ports brag about their brewpubs and microbrews. As Radisson has no problem with bringing liquor onto their ships,I would think I'm going to find a few interesting six packs during the course of my two weeks there. My worst fear is finding a brew I love that you cannont get once you head back to the lower 48.

Archived