Cost to Use for Quote if Driving to Port

M&MGirl1

I'm looking for a good cancel for any reason insurance policy for a cruise my sisters and I are wanting to book to surprise our parents with as their Christmas present (cruise won't actually be until June). I'm a bit confused as to what to use as the total cost of the trip for getting quotes, however.

Usually we fly to get on a ship, and I always insure the total cost of our flights along with the cost of the cruise as my younger sister has diabetes and we need to be sure to get a pre-existing condition waiver, but since there'll be five of us on this cruise (and Mom hates airplanes) we'll be driving to the port. Since I won't be out anything for gas if we do have to cancel, do I just use the total cost of the cruise for the insurance quote, or do I have to include an estimate for gas?

Many thanks in advance for the advice!!!!

I'm looking for a good cancel for any reason insurance policy for a cruise my sisters and I are wanting to book to surprise our parents with as their Christmas present (cruise won't actually be until June). I'm a bit confused as to what to use as the total cost of the trip for getting quotes, however.

Usually we fly to get on a ship, and I always insure the total cost of our flights along with the cost of the cruise as my younger sister has diabetes and we need to be sure to get a pre-existing condition waiver, but since there'll be five of us on this cruise (and Mom hates airplanes) we'll be driving to the port. Since I won't be out anything for gas if we do have to cancel, do I just use the total cost of the cruise for the insurance quote, or do I have to include an estimate for gas?

Many thanks in advance for the advice!!!!

The cost to be insured should be the total of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip arrangements. Gas definitely fails the "pre-paid" test.

Are you sure that you even need a waiver for a pre-existing condition? Every trip insurance plan that I have seen has a look back period which is usually about 6 months for pre-existing conditions. So if your sister was diagnosed with diabetes more than 6 months ago, and the condidtion is stable, and her medication did not "change" in the last 6 months, then she does not have a pre-existing condition for insurance purposes.

How bout the medical insurance part of the insurance. Should you count the driving days and if you do are you insured in case of a car accident?

Always counted the drive days myself, just am not sure what would happen if I had a claim.

The travel is definitely part of the vacation trip.

I would count starting the day you leave your place of residence. Given that insurance is priced based on age and trip cost, it can't hurt to include the driving days; it won't cost any more.

Are you insured in the case of a car accident? That's a little fuzzy... Here's TravelGuard's definition of "Trip": “Trip” means a period of travel away from home to a Destination outside the Insured’s City of residence; the purpose of the Trip is business or pleasure and is not to obtain health care or treatment of any kind; the Trip has defined Departure and Return dates specified when the Insured applies; the Trip does not exceed 365 days; travel is primarily by Common Carrier and only incidentally by private conveyance.

If you take a week to drive across the country to go on an overnight "cruise to nowhere", I'd say they aren't going to cover the car part of the trip. If you drive down the East Coast for a week-long, I'd say it's borderline.

Archived