Considering NCL as a solo also

bernnj

Hi,

I have had the experience of cruising 3 times as a solo so it does appeal to me. I was to cruise with my parents on Caribbean Princess on 10/22 to Canada/New England but my parents cancelled due to illness. I was going along because my parents are elderly and wanted company. I do not believe that the large size of the Caribbean Princess would appeal to me as a solo so I am now looking into other cruises since I already paid for this cruise and will get a refund due to cruise insurance.

I like the idea of sailing out of NY and not having to book airfare. The NCL cruises out of NY seem less expensive as a solo. I do like Bermuda (sailed on RCCL Enchantment of the Seas in May) on a 5 day cruise. I'm looking at the Bermuda cruise on the Gem on 10/23 or 10/30 and wonder if I should book it. I have been on NCL before with parents and know that the main dining rooms do not have assigned dining. What is it like to go to the main dining room as a solo on NCL? My cruise on Caribbean Princess was a little over $1400 (inside cabin ) which included trip insurance. Think cruising on NCL would be considerably less.

I'm not one for freestyle dining as a solo, even if it's on a luxury line. Some here don't have a problem with it, but it's not my cup of tea. I don't like dining alone and the times I was on NCL, I felt like it was a bother to the maitre'd to seat solos. I also don't like having to sit with a group who may not like their table "invaded" by a solo. To be honest, I've actually had people refuse to let me sit at their table, for whatever reason.

I'm not one for freestyle dining as a solo, even if it's on a luxury line. Some here don't have a problem with it, but it's not my cup of tea. I don't like dining alone and the times I was on NCL, I felt like it was a bother to the maitre'd to seat solos. I also don't like having to sit with a group who may not like their table "invaded" by a solo. To be honest, I've actually had people refuse to let me sit at their table, for whatever reason.

Darcie,

I am sorry that you had that experience on NCL. I would like to sit with others in the main dining rooms but can handle eating alone in the buffets or smaller dining venues. May I ask when was your last NCL cruise and did you cruise from NY? Did you meet any other solos while onboard?

I sailed Aug 27 on NCL Spirit out of New Orleans as a solo. I didn't think I would like the Freestyle dining but I met a couple from MS when I first got to the port and we had meals together every night except one...plus we added 3 more people the last 5 nights of the cruise. I never meet a stranger, so it was all good. I am booked on Carnival Conquest on Nov 27 out of New Orleans also as a solo....there will be one other person on the ship that I know, however, he will be with his 2 best friends (female) and his ex wife....so I don't expect an invite to share their table...so I will find someone else to eat with

Archived