LOCAL/expert advice needed on how to spend the day!

RQINFL

I have been researching these boards on what to do in Grenada and am super confused. I'm hoping that either locals or those of you who have traveled there multiple times and have done different things can help me figure out how to spend our day ~ although would love opinions from you even if you have only been there once and loved what you did :)

Basically we enjoy getting a local feel for islands.

~Don't do the touristy restaurants

~don't want a large tour group

~not really interested in planned tours (i.e. spice/rum factories)

LOVE

~local restaurants

~upscale restaurants with great views

~bar hopping at places either on the beach or local places

~walking a lot

~unique architecture and historical sites while we walk around

~snorkeling/great beachse

So I've seen reviews on the champagne/lobster snorkel excursion, however it seems that it takes most of the day and I'm not sure that I want to spend our day strictly on the boat and snorkeling. Concerned we will miss seeing some great spots/must do places.

Also thinking about Grand Anse beach. What exactly is along the beach? I saw mention of chair rentals, a few vendors and restaurants. Are there quite a few restaurants, and beach bars where we could do a beach bar hop? Or is it mostly just beach with some chairs?

Also, is there anyplace on the island with great beaches where we could reserve a cabana for the day? More of a beach club type place?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'll try to help out, though I'm not a local or expert (yet!) on Grenada.

There are so many restaurants along Grand Anse Beach that you should be able to find something that suits you. I should post my photos, but unfortunately haven't done that yet. There's probably every type of food you could hope for, and there are local food vendors in the vending section in the middle of the beach.

Not only that, there's a steel drum maker who works out of his house near the beach. I was so tempted to drop in and pay him a visit, but I was afraid I'd lose track of time and not make it to my next stop, so I reluctantly walked on by. Also, I was alone, and didn't think it was a good idea to go alone into a private home without anybody knowing where I was. If someone else had been with me, I would have gone in in a heartbeat!

You should do a walking tour in St George's - visit the fort, the batik factory, and the cultural center, then take a cab/public transit to Grand Anse Beach. If you want to do a lunch in town, I'd recommend the Crab Back restaurant. Great views and excellent food. Again, where are my photos???

I walked the route to Grand Anse for about a mile before the beach, and talked to some kids selling crabs by the road, and then treated them to drinks at a store across the street. They were quite amusing and the crabs are a great photo op! But this was in the summer when school was out.

It's better to do Grand Anse in the early morning, though, before the crowds show up. I talked to some local fishers and even helped them get the attention of their snorkeler who was in the water looking for fish (in lieu of sonar!). Found some lovely sea glass because the cleaners hadn't gotten there yet (though the beach was clean).

Ha, ha! I know I've contradicted myself, but it's hard to do it all on a cruise stop. I was there for a week, so I was able to go to Grand Anse more than once. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you so much for your reply!

There are so many restaurants along Grand Anse Beach that you should be able to find something that suits you. I should post my photos, but unfortunately haven't done that yet. There's probably every type of food you could hope for, and there are local food vendors in the vending section in the middle of the beach.

Are these restaurants on hotel properties, or independent places along the beach? Just trying to get a general feel for the beach.

You should do a walking tour in St George's - visit the fort, the batik factory, and the cultural center, then take a cab/public transit to Grand Anse Beach. If you want to do a lunch in town, I'd recommend the Crab Back restaurant. Great views and excellent food. Again, where are my photos???

Can we walk off the ship to these places? Great suggestions! Would love to walk around town, check out these sites then grab a cab. Will check out the Crab Back.

Would LOVE if you posted your photos!!!

I walked the route to Grand Anse for about a mile before the beach

Can you walk from the cruise dock to Grand Anse? If possible, that would be ideal.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

No, you can't walk to Grand Anse from the cruise terminal. I think it's about 5 miles from the terminal to Grand Anse.

I stayed in a hotel that was about 3 miles from Grand Anse, so I walked along the road to explore the area, but I don't think I finished the 3-mile walk from our hotel to Grand Anse. To save time, I usually flagged down some type of transportation to take me either to the beach or back to my hotel.

You can, however, walk from the cruise terminal to the fort (though the terrain is kind of hilly). I'll try to post a map later.

The Crab Back Restaurant is not too far from the fort. Sigh. Have to look for my photos! Don't know which memory card they're on, and I have a slow internet connection, so it's frustrating trying to upload the photos.

Stay tuned! Hopefully I'll get more together before your trip!

There are hotel restaurants at Grand Anse and independent restaurants plus some "shacks" in the crafts area that are owned by locals and sell limited food and drinks.

So I guess walking from the ship to the fort could be a good start. Then could we walk to the batik factory and cultural center? If they are all relatively close it might be something we would want to take a quick look at, but I don't think I would want to sacrifice time on Grand Anse taking a cab all over to see different sights.

I'll try to post a map later.

That would be great! Even a link to one that you think is good would be helpful.

There are hotel restaurants at Grand Anse and independent restaurants plus some "shacks" in the crafts area that are owned by locals and sell limited food and drinks.

Sounds perfect! Any favorites or amazing unique drinks at any of them?

Again, thank you for taking the time to post all of this info ~ its really helpful.

Edited to add one more question: I assume all of the restaurants and bars along the beach are very casual in terms of attire? Would we be ok wandering in and out of them with a nice coverup over swimwear?

Here's a pretty good map. You see how you can easily walk from the cruise terminal to the waterfront/carenage? The batik factory is on Young Street (the very short street between the two traffic lights) and the cultural center is across the street from the batik factory.

There are several restaurants along that waterfront area - Crab Back, an Asian restaurant, and another restaurant, but I can't remember the name, right there together. Many people go to The Nutmeg Restaurant which is a little further up, but I didn't get a chance to eat there. There should be cabs right in that area that can take you to Grand Anse.

http://www.travelgrenada.com/geo09.htm

You're welcome!

Yes, I did see that question, but I'm not sure how to answer it. The bars/restaurants that are on the beach not connected to a hotel are very casual so you'd be fine in swimwear.

The ones affiliated with the hotels I couldn't really see well, because they're not directly on the beach. They all seemed to be nice restaurants, though. Grand Anse is, I think, 3 miles long, so lots of options.

As far as getting a cab back to the ship after the day at the beach, would it be easiest at the farthest or closest point of Grand Anse to the port?

We will probably want to walk the whole 3 miles of the beach, but not 6 roundtrip, so trying to figure out what would make the most sense as far as where to be dropped off. So that we are walking toward the area with the most cab activity.

THanks!

Most of the cabs seem to pick-up drop off in the middle. I did walk all the way down the beach, but I don't think there's access to the road without going through the hotel that's at the end. There might be cabs at the entrances of the hotels, but I didn't pay attention to the hotels, because there's a public road in the middle that takes you straight to the beach.

I'm sure you won't have a problem getting back. If you can't get a taxi, the public vans run along the main road, and come by very often.

Here's one of the upscale restaurants along the beach that's affiliated with one of the hotels.

http://www.mountcinnamongrenadahotel.com/dining/eContent.asp?pg=Beach%20Cabana&content=8&cat=3

I didn't get a chance to try it, but I met the lady who makes and supplies lotions and other spa products for the Moi Spa. It's a beautiful property, but the units go up a fairly steep hill which I didn't feel like navigating that day!

As far as getting a cab back to the ship after the day at the beach, would it be easiest at the farthest or closest point of Grand Anse to the port?

We will probably want to walk the whole 3 miles of the beach, but not 6 roundtrip, so trying to figure out what would make the most sense as far as where to be dropped off. So that we are walking toward the area with the most cab activity.

THanks!

Consider the water taxi from the port to the beach...

Here's one of the upscale restaurants along the beach that's affiliated with one of the hotels.

http://www.mountcinnamongrenadahotel...ontent=8&cat=3

Looks great! So do you think that it would be more appropriate to actually have clothes on at these places, or would a swimsuit with shorts/top or sundress over it rather than a coverup be ok? I'd like to be as casual as possible, but don't want to be inappropriately dressed.

If you take the water taxi from the port to the beach, you miss the historical/cultural attractions in town.

Is there a water taxi you can take from the carenage to Grand Anse?

Definitely don't want to miss the historical/cultural aspect of town, but thinking that maybe it would be nice to take the water taxi back to the ship. Where would we catch it and is this possible?

Almost everybody wears a sundress over their suit. I mostly wear a tankini, and put on lightweight pants when I leave the beach area.

The water taxi leaves from a pier at Grand Anse Beach. You can't miss it. It wasn't running when I was there, because they only run on ship days, but I saw the signs at their pier.

• 1 month later...

over the years I've read that Grand Anse Beach is plagued with many, many vendors and that it wasn't a relaxing/comfortable atmosphere. I'm not reading that at all now. Anyone been recently who cares to comment or who can compare the vendor traffic on the beach to another island/beach?

Thanks

Archived