Cruise Lost because of hurricane and airports shutting down

Midwest Rancher

Anyone heard from Celebrity about cancelled cruises from New York to Bermuda at the end of August 2011 due to the hurricane? Because the airports were closed we had to cancel 2 days before scheduled to leave on the Summit.

Filed all the insurance papers, etc. weeks ago and haven't heard a peep from Celebrity. Wondering if anyone else is going through this?

But your cruise was not actually cancelled, was it? I don't remember any Celebrity cruise that didn't sail at that time.

I am guessing your insurance was through Celebrity? What does your policy say about this situation? If you haven't heard from them, I would give them a call to see what's going on.

I'm assuming you are applying for one of the 75% "Any Reason" Cruise Credits? Because according to the current Celebrity policy, you aren't eligible for a cash refund.

Call the BerkeleyCare number on your policy (800-797-4516)... Celebrity Customer Service won't know anything about your claim.

I'm assuming you are applying for one of the 75% "Any Reason" Cruise Credits? Because according to the current Celebrity policy, you aren't eligible for a cash refund.

Call the BerkeleyCare number on your policy (800-797-4516)... Celebrity Customer Service won't know anything about your claim.

Yep. Here's the plan wording listing the only covered reasons for cancellation that will be covered by a cash refund:

"CRUISECARE CRUISE VACATION CANCELLATION & INTERRUPTION

PENALTY WAIVER.……Cash Refund Up To Total Cruise Vacation Cost

This Cancellation Penalty Waiver is an addendum to your cruise ticket contract. Through the CruiseCare program, Celebrity Cruises will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below*):

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your

immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

2. involvement in a traffic accident, en route to departure, that causes you to miss your cruise;

3. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane or volcano;

4. you are called into active duty by the military to provide aid or relief as a result of a natural disaster;

5. subpoena or being called to serve for jury duty;"

The situation described isn't covered by any of this so the OP's only claim would be under this provision:

"SPECIAL CRUISECARE CRUISE VACATION CANCELLATION ENHANCEMENT

CRUISECARE “ANY REASON” CRUISE CREDITS……Up To 75% of the non-refundable

pre-paid Cruise Vacation Cost Provided EXCLUSIVELY by Celebrity Cruises

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Celebrity Cruises will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Celebrity Cruises, for your use toward a future cruise."

Filing a claim under that provision should be 100% successful -- there are no circumstances where it could be denied. I'm assuming that if the flights were cancelled the airline has already issued a refund or a voucher for a future flight.

Archived