What is at the port?

tigercat

My husband is taking the bike tour offered by Princess but I was wondering what is near the port that I could do on my own. I am not sure I want to take a tour so wondering if there was some shopping or right near or at the port.

tigercat

Hello TigerCat,

We have a tour booked with Sue Felix of Achie tours (which sounds like a great tour if you want to join us!!!!) She included in her description of her tour a bit about the island and also that there is a very unique Arts and Crafts Market in the park that is just in front of the pier. Almost everything sold is made by artisans living on the island. She says it's a "must see". I haven't heard what else is nearby but at least you might enjoy this market!!!

Stephanie

Hello TigerCat,

We have a tour booked with Sue Felix of Achie tours (which sounds like a great tour if you want to join us!!!!) She included in her description of her tour a bit about the island and also that there is a very unique Arts and Crafts Market in the park that is just in front of the pier. Almost everything sold is made by artisans living on the island. She says it's a "must see". I haven't heard what else is nearby but at least you might enjoy this market!!!

Stephanie

I 2nd the market suggestion. There are a lot of artsy European expats living on Bonaire and they sell their products at the market so most of it is nice quality, not just the usual t-shirts and junky beads. One year I purchased very nice clay pendant and a funky mini-gourd Christmas ornament.

There also is a mile or so long paved walkway along the waterfront that maybe a nice option for you. There are benches along the way for a rest stop.

We are looking forward to our stop on Bonaire this Christmas on the Emeral Princess.

I 2nd the market suggestion. There are a lot of artsy European expats living on Bonaire and they sell their products at the market so most of it is nice quality, not just the usual t-shirts and junky beads. One year I purchased very nice clay pendant and a funky mini-gourd Christmas ornament.

There also is a mile or so long paved walkway along the waterfront that maybe a nice option for you. There are benches along the way for a rest stop.

We are looking forward to our stop on Bonaire this Christmas on the Emeral Princess.

How far away is the market from where the ship docks? My wife is handicapped and in a wheel chair, wondering what we can do in the area since we have never been there before.

It is actually the closest dock to the town - based on where the ship is.

You walk off the ship, and down a short concrete dock and you are right into town. The streets were crowded near the vendor area, but not too bad. I would wait until the crowds clear - about one to one and a half hours after docking and then go out.

Good luck - it is nice - you will like it.

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear that there is something right at the port. My husband is going on a bike tour and I was hoping to just go our after a nap. I am slightly handicapped and can not walk very far but was hoping to at least get off the ship.

tigercat

Archived