Transport chair or wheelchair?

Coralc

I agree that the $20 / day is well worth it! I will be renting a power chair, and they're much more expensive..but still worth it for my comfort, and for my husband's comfort and freedom to be able to leave me "fend for myself" while he goes out and about.

I didn't mean to offend you, I just meant that $20 a day to me seems well worth it for the comfort and safety of your mother. My husband uses a wheelchair full-time, so I definitely understand how the extra expenses (handicapped van transportation, special seat cushion, accessories, etc.) can add up.

You don't know me, and you don't know what I have already paid for this cruise and my mother's part of the cruise and my mother's comfort. That is why I am offended by youir comment.

What you also don't seem to understand is that my mother does not use any assistive devices. No cane, no walkers no wheelchairs. She doesn't want to. She walks fine, albeit somewhat slowly and not always in a straight line.

I talked her into my renting a wheelchair for her comfort and so that if she gets tired of walking she could sit and still participate. More likely she will just go back to her cabin and go to bed.

I thought $75 was reasonable to rent something that might sit in the cabin all week unused. Hence my original question on transport chair versus wheelchair, and my ability to PURCHASE a lightweight transport chair for around $159 that we would have for around the town trips and travels long after the cruise.

I find $125 to rent a possibly unused wheelchair for a week to be a very high cost.

Thank you for the help from previous posters and I will unsubscribe now since my original question has been answered. :)

Thank you Joanie and Katie. Both posts are very helpful. I will call the companies next week and see about arranging a rental.

Does anyone have a preference between "care vacations" and "special needs at sea" as far as service or pricing goes?

This is new territory for me. Mom is 84 and I am only child. So I really appreciate all your help.

~Patti :)

In Sept on celebrity silhouette,the airline broke my mums scooter,and we were allowed to keep the one they transported her onto the ship,they do have a few and people take them ashore.There are ways round this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived