Monopod / Walking Stick Combination

Buck1949

I am interested in obtaining a Camera Monopod which is also a Walking Stick. I am not looking for anything expensive, as I rarely take photos where this would be needed. That being said I am taking a summer cruise and with 2 knee replacements, figured that I may benefit from having both a walking stick and Monopod for my lightweight camera. One additional item is that I would like a taller Monopod as I am 6'5" tall, and leaning down would not work well.

Any suggestions.

I have had a Komperdell Rover for 10 or more years and I can recommend it highly. It is a great walking stick and has a shock absorber in the shaft (can be locked to make it stiff). The cork knob unscrews to provide a camera or binocular mount.

Mostly I have used it for hiking, and in low light situations it provides good stability for the camera. Also, if I want to include myself in a picture and the ground does not provide a stable surface, I just drive it into the ground and that works well.

Mine shrinks to 28.25 inches and expands to a useful length of 56 inches. I am over 6 feet tall and find the length more than adequate.

I see that Amazon has a LEKI Sierra Antishock Trekking Pole, which is very similar to the Komperdell except it has a wooden top rather than cork - a little more traditional.

Lee Valley, a Canadian company, is advertising one in their Christmas catalog - not sure if they ship to the States, but their's is only $25 CA, which is almost a third of the price for the LEKI.

Good luck with your search, and you won't regret having is with you.

@ Airheadfan, thanks. I checked the Lee Valley Company and their stick extended to 63 inches... (5'3") tall. Seemed a little short. They also did not list the brand of the stick. I assume this is the same as the Komperdell brand you mentioned?

@ Ses320 the Amazon stick you mentioned did seem pretty short.

Thanks a bunch for all the pointers.... I like the Lee Valley stick..just concerned about the length. It does look like they will ship to the US also.

Buck1949

Don't be overly concerned about the length - like I mentioned mine is 56 inches fully opened and I have never used it extended to that length. Like you I have knee problems and if I am hiking in very steep terrain I lengthen the pole when going down hill. I have been on some very steep terrain, and I have never needed the full extension.

I just measured and for normal walking (flat to relatively steep up hill) I keep the pole at 42 - 44 inches and for very steep down hill, I would extend it to 48 - 50 maximum. So, I think the length of any of the poles will suit you.

Forgot to mention in my first note that mounting your camera on the pole takes out most of the jerkiness if you are in video mode - really improves the quality

Buck1949

Sorry, but missed your question about the Lee Valley pole. I am not sure of the brand, but it looks very similar to my Komperdell - but in the pictures they all do. I checked the catalog and they cleverly have it turned so you cannot read the brand name.

We buy a lot of gardening tools from Lee Valley, and my observation is that they do not sell any poor quality products. Everything we have purchased and everything I have seen in their store (we have one nearby) is well made and functional. I have purchased very good quality Swiss secateurs for about 60% of what they cost at other garden retailers, so their pricing seems to be very good.

Buck1949

Don't be overly concerned about the length - like I mentioned mine is 56 inches fully opened and I have never used it extended to that length. Like you I have knee problems and if I am hiking in very steep terrain I lengthen the pole when going down hill. I have been on some very steep terrain, and I have never needed the full extension.

I just measured and for normal walking (flat to relatively steep up hill) I keep the pole at 42 - 44 inches and for very steep down hill, I would extend it to 48 - 50 maximum. So, I think the length of any of the poles will suit you.

Forgot to mention in my first note that mounting your camera on the pole takes out most of the jerkiness if you are in video mode - really improves the quality

Thanks once again for the information. In all honesty, I will be using the 'stick' probably more for camera support than for walking. That is why the short part concerned me. I do like the confidence you have in their products......and will take a look at the Lee Valley monopod again.

Your help is most appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

As an update, I purchased a Hammers HP-1 walking stick/camera monopod combination and so far have been very please with it. It was $19.99 and stands appoximately 70 inches fully extended. The stick has a built in shock absorber, and does collapse to approxmimately 28 inches.

I have only walked a little and have placed the camera atop the monopod bracket with no problems. Hopefully it will last me through my vacation.

We shall see.

Archived