Ship excursion or snorkle from beach?

cuzzie

Hi All, We are visiting Bonaire for the first time in January and Im wondering if we should do a ship snorkle excursion or go on our own just from a beach? I dont float very well so I am worried if we do it on our own I will miss out on seeing all the fab fish and coral Ive been hearing so much about :( I would love to take as many photos underwater as possible - my fuji finepix is fab for it! Thankyou for any advice/sugestions :D

We have rented a jeep and toured the island, we have rented a van and 3 other couples went with us to a number of different snorkle sights, both of these were great experiences.

When we go back in February, we are taking a water taxi over to Klein Bonaire.

Any of these three on your own is an unforgettable adventure!

If you don't float very well, get a snorkel vest. The blow up and are very lightweight. It does a good job keeping you floating, and for me I feel more secure and am able to enjoy myself more. It looks like this:

41djaODCDUL._AA115_.jpg

Another thing you will need is water-booties or water shoes. The sand and coral to get in the water is very tough on the feet!

We love Bonaire, have a great time!

Thankyou! Think I will have a look out for one of those vests and do our own thing! But I will probably change my mind at least twice before we go! Lol :D

Try Amazon or another website like it. Now that it's the winter season I don't think you'll find them in the stores:).

Have a great trip!

• 5 weeks later...

I second the suggestion for a snorkel vest. Easy to pack and it's great for anyone who's unsure of him/herself in the water. At Klein Bonaire, you go left as you get off the ferry [with your back to the ocean] and find the gap in the coral. Get to the other side of the coral, start floating and you can float with a mild current all the way back to where the ferry lands! Couldn't be easier. Be aware, however, that KB has NO facilities whatsoever, except for someone selling bottled water, and there is NO shade.

I second the suggestion for a snorkel vest. Easy to pack and it's great for anyone who's unsure of him/herself in the water. At Klein Bonaire, you go left as you get off the ferry [with your back to the ocean] and find the gap in the coral. Get to the other side of the coral, start floating and you can float with a mild current all the way back to where the ferry lands! Couldn't be easier. Be aware, however, that KB has NO facilities whatsoever, except for someone selling bottled water, and there is NO shade.

DO you know if you can rent snorkelling equipment on the ferry or nearby and where to you buy the pass to be allowed to swim at Klein?

TBN Hubby here...

I highly recommend Woodwind tours for a morning or afternoon tour, or both. I went in the morning and wish I had taken the afternoon also. (Mornings are probably best because the winds/waves/visibility are said to be better).

Short walk to their catamaran. Boat is not fancy but the trip to Klein Bonaire is very short -- within sight of the ship. They have really good equipment including prescription snorkel masks. Vests if you need them.

They break the group of 20 or so into two or three smaller groups with each having their own guide. The groups are separated buy ability so everyone gets to have the best experience possible.

Lots of live reef, turtles, abundant large and small fish -- did I mention the reef is alive! Water is shallow and drops off to a much deeper area. The snorkel is along the shallow/deep border. The guides are very protective of the coral (as they should be). This is a drift snorkel and you are in the water for almost 2 hours but it is not strenuous. Boat drifts with the groups so you can re board if you need to. Great photo opportunities.

Do a search here and there is a lot of info available...

Is Woodwind located at dock? I'd like to go with them but do not want to book it in advance.

Not a good plan if you want to go with them.

They will meet you at the dock and then you walk about 5/10 minutes to their boat.

If you do not book in advance the chances of them having an open spot are virtually nil. They normally fill their tours many weeks in advance of your arrival.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the Plaza Resort for $10.00 a person. They had a green van that picks you up by the taxi stand. If you don't want to wait for the van it is only about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the resort. The $10.00 gets you a chair, the beach, and the use of the resort for the day. The reef is right on the shoreline and it was easy Snorkeling. It was a little difficult to get in and out of the water with fins because of the rocks so I snorkeled in my water shoes and had no problems getting around. We are planning to go back to Bonaire again and we will going back to the Plaza Resort to snorkel.

Archived