Rome Airport to Florence by train

ILoveScotland

Has anyone ever landed at FCO and gone from there to Florence by train? I've been looking at eurail.com but am not sure how easy it would be.

Right now I'm looking at several options for spending some time in Italy before a cruise out of Barcelona next fall.

Thanks.

The hardest part of the trip is going to be schlepping your luggage between trains. Easy trip, honest.

Assuming you are cruising out of Civitavecchia, you can connect either at Termini (where you picked up the train to Florence) or in Pisa. I would take the later if the train times worked out. It might be a few minutes longer, but Pisa is a small station. Not a big deal either way, though.

Has anyone ever landed at FCO and gone from there to Florence by train? I've been looking at eurail.com but am not sure how easy it would be.

Right now I'm looking at several options for spending some time in Italy before a cruise out of Barcelona next fall.

Thanks.

Just don't book it on EURAIL who mark up tickets rediculously. Go to the Italian rail site (available in English) at http://trenitalia.com/

Thanks for good advice including tip to book through Italian rail site if this is what I decide. I'll have luggage for a transatlantic cruise and will be alone, but I pack light so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Right now I'm just looking at options for some land time in Italy before either flying or taking train across to Barcelona where cruise departs.

Sorry, I missed that you are cruising out of Barcelona. It is a long train ride, to say the least. Airfare is relatively inexpensive between several Italian cities and Barcelona. I enjoy traveling by rail, but unless I were stopping off in Southern France, I would fly.

Thanks for good advice including tip to book through Italian rail site if this is what I decide. I'll have luggage for a transatlantic cruise and will be alone, but I pack light so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Right now I'm just looking at options for some land time in Italy before either flying or taking train across to Barcelona where cruise departs.

Another option would be a ferry across to Barcelona. They go directly from Civitavecchia or Livorno, but are time consuming (about 20 hours I think). You can make the crossing overnight and book a cabin on the ferry, which may make it economically possible if you consider what you would have spent on a hotel for your last night plus the flight.

You can look into the possibilities here: http://www.grimaldi-lines.com/en

Edited to add:

I just looked at the timetable and realized that the ferry probably won't work because it doesn't arrive until late in the day, but it could be an option for those who plan to spend a night or two in Barcelona before sailing.

Another option would be a ferry across to Barcelona. They go directly from Civitavecchia or Livorno, but are time consuming (about 20 hours I think). You can make the crossing overnight and book a cabin on the ferry, which may make it economically possible if you consider what you would have spent on a hotel for your last night plus the flight.

You can look into the possibilities here: http://www.grimaldi-lines.com/en

Edited to add:

I just looked at the timetable and realized that the ferry probably won't work because it doesn't arrive until late in the day, but it could be an option for those who plan to spend a night or two in Barcelona before sailing.

I love this idea of a ferry. I'll look into it as I plan to stay at least two nights in Barcelona before the cruise.

Also, to ab0si, if I took the train from Italy, I'd probably stop in France, perhaps Nice and again somewhere else. It's fun for me to be my own travel agent and look at all kinds of options. I've also been looking at one way air fares, and they are very inexpensive.

Thank you to everyone.

• 4 months later...

We will be flying into FCO and travelling by train to Florence in early April. I won't pre-book it since you never know about flight arrival times, luggage, etc. But I see that the listed times give you 1/2 hour in Rome to change trains. For someone unfamiliar with that station (I understand it is huge!) and with luggage and at 2am (home time!) is that really sufficient? I think once we get our tickets the one for the Rome to Florence portion is for a specific seat which means we have to make it!!! Should I be concerned? What is the alternative?

We will be flying into FCO and travelling by train to Florence in early April. I won't pre-book it since you never know about flight arrival times, luggage, etc. But I see that the listed times give you 1/2 hour in Rome to change trains. For someone unfamiliar with that station (I understand it is huge!) and with luggage and at 2am (home time!) is that really sufficient? I think once we get our tickets the one for the Rome to Florence portion is for a specific seat which means we have to make it!!! Should I be concerned? What is the alternative?

No need to be concerned, while Termini is a large train station, it's not that big. The airport train runs on time and 30 minutes is more than enough time to switch from one to the other.

Archived