Att cellular service

deena26

Am cruising the mexcian riviera next week and just got off the phone with ATT wireless & the international department, thought I would share what they told me, if anyone else has used this service please chime in!!

1st: I cancelled all data plans (no internet, no picture texting, etc)

They claim I pay $2.49 at sea period (they said I dont pay extra for roaming! ) She claims any voicemails I listen to or missed calls will be billed at that rate. So I will turn my phone to airplane mode or turn it off, she said I will not be charged for ANYTHING while the phone is off unless I turn it on and choose to listen to voicemail, missed calls wont count. She said my reading of texts that I have recieved will be totally free (comes off the texting data plan I have) and that any text I send will be $.50 cents and that calls made in Mexico are $ .99 cents a minute. Anyways, almost sounds to good to be true- who knows if I'll use it- wanted to share!!

Am cruising the mexcian riviera next week and just got off the phone with ATT wireless & the international department, thought I would share what they told me, if anyone else has used this service please chime in!!

1st: I cancelled all data plans (no internet, no picture texting, etc)

They claim I pay $2.49 at sea period (they said I dont pay extra for roaming! ) She claims any voicemails I listen to or missed calls will be billed at that rate. So I will turn my phone to airplane mode or turn it off, she said I will not be charged for ANYTHING while the phone is off unless I turn it on and choose to listen to voicemail, missed calls wont count.

She said my reading of texts that I have recieved will be totally free (comes off the texting data plan I have) and that any text I send will be $.50 cents and that calls made in Mexico are $ .99 cents a minute. Anyways, almost sounds to good to be true- who knows if I'll use it- wanted to share!!

It's true. I have AT&T, and those ARE the actual costs. And it is $2.49 for cell calls on this ship, just as they told you (it's thru Cellular at Sea). Texting is the way to go, if you need to communicate with someone.

My first iPhone at sea cost me $580 bucks for not knowing ANY of that. All is true.

I suggest turning off data the moment you leave the dock and if you reboot your phone or turn your phone off -- double check it to make sure the data is still turned off. I was on the Magic sailing earlier this year and the data cost me a pretty penny because my phone was automatically pulling down my email down.

I use skype if I have to call home via the ships wireless internet -- .75 cents a minute is a lot cheaper than $2.49.

I don't have AT&T, but I don't think things are that different between the major wireless carriers. I have heard so many horror stories of people getting huge wireless bills when they get home. I turn my phone off and put it in the safe before the ship leaves the dock and don't turn it on again till we're ready to get off the ship. I have even heard that if you turn your phone on by mistake and don't make any calls or access any data, you may be charged next time you turn your phone on because it's still looking for that foreign cell tower it last accessed. I buy an internet plan on the ship and keep in touch that way if I need to. Nancy

My first iPhone at sea cost me $580 bucks for not knowing ANY of that. All is true.

I suggest turning off data the moment you leave the dock and if you reboot your phone or turn your phone off -- double check it to make sure the data is still turned off. I was on the Magic sailing earlier this year and the data cost me a pretty penny because my phone was automatically pulling down my email down.

I use skype if I have to call home via the ships wireless internet -- .75 cents a minute is a lot cheaper than $2.49.

Onto of putting phone in airplane mode change how you get email I do not do push but I have to click icon to get email. It is a extra. Thingi do to avoid big bills

It's true. I have AT&T, and those ARE the actual costs. And it is $2.49 for cell calls on this ship, just as they told you (it's thru Cellular at Sea). Texting is the way to go, if you need to communicate with someone.

Thanks, OP and for above post confirming.

I found (on a different CCL owned line) that even while still on the ship in the home port, the charges go through Cellular at Sea -- so if this is the norm, I'll be waiting until I'm debarked safely on US soil (and not just tied up at a US port) before I check in with people back home. Is this the case on Carnival ships in home port also?

If, in our case; we see ATT on the phone's screen--we know that we are using ATT. If we see Cellular At Sea, we know it will be $2.49 a minute and we are using the ship's system.

We use our phones until several miles out normally when leaving a US port, and turn on the phone usually early in the morning when we return. Off and in the safe otherwise.

Archived