Should I eat the chicken?

cmoglesby

Thinking of doing the Altun Ha and River tour with Carnival. I noticed you stop at a hotel about an hour up the river and eat lunch. Just curious what it's like there? Any risk of bad food? I guess where I am going with this is, is this just some hotel with nothing else around in the middle of the jungle and no type of sanitary precautions? I really have no idea what I am getting myself into, so excuse me if I show it : )

One of the reasons I ask is we took a tour of Tulum a few years back in MX. The lunch they served us was Tuna Fish sandwiches that had sat on the bus all day with us. By the time lunch came around they were nice and warm. We went hungry that day...

Thinking of doing the Altun Ha and River tour with Carnival. I noticed you stop at a hotel about an hour up the river and eat lunch. Just curious what it's like there? Any risk of bad food? I guess where I am going with this is, is this just some hotel with nothing else around in the middle of the jungle and no type of sanitary precautions? I really have no idea what I am getting myself into, so excuse me if I show it : )

It's not chicken

It's not chicken

Not Chicken?

I have ate the local rice and beans with stewed chicken at least 3 times a week from various vendors thru the country over the past 4 years. I have not been on that tour. I can say that in my experience all the food I have had was without any problems.

Odds are that chicken was running around a day or two prior. Belize does not import a lot of meat.

I sell about 100 Cheeseburgers a day in San Pedro and have never had a problem with my Beef supplier

Belize does have health inspectors. Not as in depth as the US. Word of mouth is huge here. If someone was serving bad food, word would travel fast and the vendor would be out of business in a flash.

Wade, does the name hold true, meaning are you a gringo? If so, where from?

Yes I am. I was born in Vegas over 40 years ago. I moved to San Pedro Belize three years ago after a visit to Caye Caulker on the Carnival Valor. I have been able to take two cruises since moving here. I work for the airlines here and sell McDonald style burgers here in San Pedro.

With hundreds of American Tourists a week taking these tours and eating this food you would hear the complaints here and in the media if there was a problem. The tour companies wouldn't last long serving bad food.

"When in Rome eat like a Roman." :)

Yes I am. I was born in Vegas over 40 years ago. I moved to San Pedro Belize three years ago after a visit to Caye Caulker on the Carnival Valor. I have been able to take two cruises since moving here. I work for the airlines here and sell McDonald style burgers here in San Pedro.

Cool, might see you there then. Caye Caulker is something we want to do. Just trying to decide between Altun Ha and Caye Caulker. Huge contrasts, I know, but the ages of the people coming with us might limit what we can do...

With hundreds of American Tourists a week taking these tours and eating this food you would hear the complaints here and in the media if there was a problem. The tour companies wouldn't last long serving bad food.

"When in Rome eat like a Roman." :)

I agree. We ate the chicken and chicken tacos (in Mexico as well) and they were the best ever! No problems. If there were, people here would definitely come back and report about it and it would ruin the reputation of the different places.

Also, of course when you cook food and it's good and hot, it kills bacteria, so more than likely if you are eating hot food, then it should be fine. :)

Archived