Latitudes Upgrade Coupon? Worthless?

H'Islander

We just received our Latitudes package and with it came a 1 cat upgrade coupon. We just booked our next cruise for Jan. 2005 and our TA said it is only worth about $20. Why would NCL even bother with something so worthless? Has anyone else tried to use their "coupon"? icon_confused.gif

you know what? i had that same question. i had a 2 cat upgrade "if i booked by...". and so i did. filled out the card and all.

called NCL to see if an upgrade was at hand (and everyone knows to call NCL at 3 different occassions - get the average of the 3 calls).

they said that since i booked with this one particular TA, they were already given the lowest prices so the card was not applicable.

shall i venture to guess that it works if you book with NCL directly.

also to this fact...in addition...

i was told that it's not a true upgrade in the sense that your room is actually reassigned. they take the category you booked...(and in my case) look 2 categories below and sutract to get the difference in price and you get a sort of "rebate". kinda strange and hokey if you ask me.

so the question remains...WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING THE CARD? To be Latitudes means squat sometimes.

diver_floating_md_clr.gif

WE ARE...PENN STATE! Biology '94

http://photos.yahoo.com/zonehph2002

click on NORWEGIAN WIND 20040327 (03/27/2004 sailing)

coupons are a funny thing. We always say if the full moon lands on the 12th of the month and it's a Friday then the coupon's applicable! I swear I don't know why they print them sometimes because they are ususally only valid on the highest possible rates! I was able to use my on-board credit coupon though for my upcoming cruise on the Star... I can't belive it; I even called NCL and they said it was applied and everything! Good Luck!

dodge9,

as a fellow poster i only wish people to have a great cruise. so here is my advice...

make copies of everything dealing with that coupon. take down names of people who you speak with...ID numbers if you can get it.

reason being...superflyjeff, had one of those onboard credit vouchers. he mailed it in, but he used a particular method of recording that it was delivered to a P.O. Box (our USPS personnel would know how to do it). anyway...he called 3 times prior to cruising on 3/27/2004 to ensure the card was received and that credit was all set for his account.

well...thinking he had done all he needed to do we had a great time during the week, all until the 2nd to last day when he decided to pay off some of his bill and noticed the $100 onboard credit was NOT credited to his account.

(he tells the story better than i)

anyway...he speaks to the auditor and demands that the $100 credit be applied NOW. she tried to swing it around to make it seem it was his fault or that he had to process paperwork or something and he'll get a check in the mail. point is...if it was promised...and if it was received...then why on earth should he have to worry, right?

well...he whipped out the receipt from the USPS showing the date when the voucher was delivered to NCL...

...$100 credit was applied to his account.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gardencat:

Sorry dodge didn't they tell you those upgrades are only applicable on cruises that are going to be cancelled<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHAHAHAHHAH!!!

NICE ONE!

Latitudes coupon worth $80.00 if you book through NCL. Price of cruise anywhere from 2 to 3 hundred dollars higher through NCL. I have yet to contact my travel agent. Seems that category upgrade and Latitudes membership is indeed a joke.

UNCLE PAULIE!!!!!

I agree, you would think that most return cruisers have figured how to get cheap rates, therefore the coupon is useless. A better perk would be to have separate disembark, embark lines at ports of call. Better and faster service would make me happy.

Time till the Carnival Miracle...Weber boarding party: Partae Pirates

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2005;2;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn: 3/21/04

I have found that most if not all of the cruise lines have been reducng the "perks" available to their past cruisers.

We are sailing on the Majesty this weekend and when I booked it with NCL, I was given a six cat upgrade at the time of booking.I had checked the pricing on Travelocity and quoted that tothe NCL rep, she matched the price but with the big upgrade. After all was said and done, I had her transfer the booking to my own T/A. No problems, everything has worked out great.

Inspector Gadget

Carnival Mardi Gras

Carnival Tropical

RCCL Nordic Prince

RCCL Nordic Empress

HAL Westerdam

Sunquest Sundream

NCL Majesty

Celebrity Summit

Princess Ocean Princess

NCL Norway

Sunquest Sunbird

HAL Zuiderdam

NCL Majesty (04/17/04)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cwpsy:

I agree, you would think that most return cruisers have figured how to get cheap rates, therefore the coupon is useless. A better perk would be to have separate disembark, embark lines at ports of call.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOW THAT'S what i like to hear!

let's make the Latitudes perks mean something! how about something more than just a pin? maybe like a tshirt or a baseball cap or SOMETHING that really distinguishes you from everyone else.

but then again, you only have to sail twice to be a Latitudes member (first cruise you get your Lat #, but i heard it's the second cruise that makes it official.)

zoneHPH... I plan on taking all my documentation too... I sent the coupon to NCL registered mail as I assume I will have a problem with my on-board credit too. I just wonder if they really intend to not apply it and see if they can get out of it, it seems to happen more often not (at least to me). But thanks for the advice and info, it's appreciated!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dodge9:

zoneHPH... I plan on taking all my documentation too... I sent the coupon to NCL registered mail as I assume I will have a problem with my on-board credit too. I just wonder if they really intend to not apply it and see if they can get out of it, it seems to happen more often not (at least to me). But thanks for the advice and info, it's appreciated!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah...it really sucks to have to play this cat and mouse game. but it's about the principle.

though many posters feel they have been shafted...i think if you make sure all your ducks are in a row...can present yourself in a professional manner...and not be so quick to get a "free cruise"...i think you can expect the same in return from NCL.

whether the intent on crediting your onboard account is true or fallacy...who knows. i dont' think the lack integrity...i am just willing to bet that it's simply a lack of organization on their part.

I agree that you need to keep a cool head and documentation and not initially demand ownership of the cruise line when things go wrong, but I can also say I understand the frustrations involved here and the total ineptness on NCL's part.

My suggestion to NCL is to make Latitudes better. Every cruise you go on with NCL, it is the same Captain's party with the free drinks, eats and rah, rah rah here is our staff. I appreciate the freebies (I really do) but after many sailings, it becomes rather boring. Change it a bit to make it more appealing. This time too (aboard the Star), I don't think we would have been invited unless we saw that you had to register with the Latitudes person on-board. I am not sure about that but suspect it!

there's just gotta be a way to improve the rewards. i'll have to think of a couple things and send them on over to NCL.

i mean...something like mileage rewards.

example:

5th cruise - a baseball cap

10th cruise - dinner for 2 at LeBistro

15th cruise - an autographed photo of Colin

(hehehheeh)

but you all know what i mean...GIVE US SOMETHING to make us feel like repeat cruisers. the pins ARE a nice touch...cause then you can collect them and stuff.

ZoneHPH, Great ideas...especially the mileage rewards (could be nautical miles) and dinner at LeBistro. T-shirts are another good freebie. You mentioned sending the ideas over to NCL. Without starting yet another NCL Customer Relations discussion (pleave everyone try not to go there), have you had any luck in the department of giving them ideas that they take seriously?

i choose my battles.

and i also believe that if you can make GOOD shipboard contacts they are MORE valuable than the phone people.

let's just say i am working on a connection with someone on my last cruise. hopefully she'll be able to be a valuable resource.

(ok so i thought she was the most beautiful P&C Consultant on the high seas.)

Archived