Back from Star 4/4 - 4/11

Seawishes

Hey all. We're back, and now ready to look at these boards. Now that I've got one day of work behind me, I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's over. Being on Cruise Critic last night just about made me sick, because it was all over.

The cruise was absolutely wonderful. I can't believe how beautiful Hawaii is. Give it quite a few years, but I will be back someday.

Just a quick recap of how it all went...

FRI...Flew from PA to Chicago to Honolulu. The flight was less painful than I expected, and because of the time difference, we were settled in Waikiki by 4:00. We had a drink at the bar on the beach in front of the Sheraton, saw sea turtles, and enjoyed the beauty. We had dinner at Tiki's Grill and Bar...good nachos!! We TRIED our hardest to stay up, but I was out cold by 8:30.

SAT...So, five hour time difference PLUS usual alarm time of 6am for work EQUALS WIDE AWAKE AT ONE AM. I tossed and turned, and finally turned on the tv at 5. Went to Pearl Harbor first thing, third boat out...then to hike Diamond Head (got there just before 11) and back to the hotel around 1:00 I think. We grabbed masks and snorkels, and headed back in front of Sheraton, but didn't like the current....easy to head out...VERY hard to get back to the beach against the tide. We showered and relaxed a few minutes before heading off to Paradise Cove Luau. We dorve ourselves out there...got the middle package, the one with table service with an awesome and adorable waitress who kept RUNNING to the buffet for any of us who wanted seconds of specific foods. Back to the hotel maybe 10-ish to bed.

SUN...WIDE AWAKE AT 3:00...but it was easier this time to get back to sleep. Got up early in time for a cloudy sunrise, but was mostly hoping to see the Star coming in from the beach. We were successful, and got our first pictures of the ship. We got to the pier maybe around 11:15, dropped our luggage after about 10 minutes at max, and waited in line another 15 minutes at max before they started letting us in. We walked right up to a check in window, and three minutes later we were headed up the escalator to board. We dropped the carryons, and headed to the lobby to get everything sorted out. We had MUCH WARNING from all you wonderful folks on the boards, so we had the rental car numbers ready with the cell phone, and we were about the third group to hit the shore excursions desk to rearrange the week. More on that later. After we set ourselves up for the cruise we had lunch, then headed off ship to China Town for leis. We were back in time for the muster drill. Champagne on the balcony, two for one margaritas and sangrias and tapas, then 8 o'clock reservations for Teppanyaki Room. (Long meal, we had to wait for late arrivers to catch up...I thought about taking a nap before dessert.) A walk on deck...then to bed.

MON...Day at sea. Chair savers galore...laid out for a while above the pool, wasted the day away, maybe that was the day of the Martini class (free booze!!!!)(and lots of it)...dinner at Endless Summer which was an ABSOLUTE surprise!! A few items I was taking a personal chance on...for example mahi mahi chowder...but I loved every single course SOOO MUCH. Too tired to stay up for Music of the Night...too bad.

TUES...Hilo. Got up early for the Lava Viewing Adventure. No lava to view, but the guide stopped anywhere I could've wanted to stop in VNP...and then he even stopped at Big Island Candies for us on the way back. Took the shuttle to Hilo Hatties and Walmart afterward...then relaxed on the ship. La Trattoria that night for dinner...BAD SERVICE...the same people who work the buffet all day work the restaurant at night. Bad choice in my opinion...our waitor and asst waitress seemed in buffet mode...slow, sleepy, inattentive service. Went out on deck afterward to do some lava viewing...a faint red glow on top of the mountain...kinda cool. Tried our damndest to get it on the camera...I think there's ONE perfect shot. Beau from Las Ramblas wandered by on deck with Margaritas, so we indulged. On the rocks, no salt...mmmm. To bed.

WED...Kona. I LOVE KONA. So did Bryan. I'll quote him..."If someday something inexplicable happens and we find ourselves insanely wealthy, we're buying a house here." It was an amazing day. We wandered onto shore (actually it was an ordeal, 4th deck tender stations were mobbed and people were miserable...not me, though, I was in Hawaii). So, we wandered through town (SOOO CUTE) and then did a Barefoot Tiki Cruise. Very fun...good band playing good music with a cruise up the coast and back for two hours. maybe 8 rum and cokes (nice and strong) later we did some drunk souvenier shopping before heading back on board. Buffet dinner at our leisure that night...more relaxing around the ship...not in a hurry to rush anywhere. Maybe It's Fame tonight? Whichever night it was, we actually caught this one.

THURS...Lahaina. My second favorite stop. We got up early and hit the hot tub on the pool deck...relaxed for a while then got off the ship for lunch at Kimo's. Had the Hula Pie for dessert...mmm mmm mmm. Walked Front Street...almost as cute as Kona. Went snorkeling at Molokini crater in the afternoon. Saw a sharks, bunches of fish, but no turtles. A whale as big as the boat (a big boat) swam under us, but never surfaced nearby. Nice excursion, leisurely dinner at Blue Lagoon...for the fun of it. Evening activities not coming to mind....oh well.

FRI...Kahului. Rented a car and drove the road to Hana. We were on the road before 8am. Got to Hana by 11. We decided to turn around (weather was rainy, it was an experience so far, but not all that I had heard about...but the way back was 100 percent better) Stopped at Waterfalls, lookouts, etc. Returned rental car, headed back to the ship and relaxed before dinner at Le Bistro. Tried the escargot for the first time ever...just tasted like WONDERFUL garlic and butter...had the filet...then choclate fondue and cheesecake (yes...dip the cheesecake into the fondue...it's heavenly). Cirque Asia that night...boat was ROCKING...the ship staff on stage after the show were all collectively catching their balance quite a few times. Liar Liar show afterward...very raunchy, very funny, then to the Chocoholic Buffet which was 11:30 to 12:30 on Friday night. To bed with sugar running through our veins...this was the latest we were up all week.

SAT...Nawiliwili. Helicopter flight first thing. 175 pictures in one hour...enough said. I've never seen such beauty. We skipped out on the rental car that we had reserved after the flight because were so darn tired of running around. So it was back on the ship after some quick shopping at Anchor Cove (free shuttle...Seven Seas Trading Company equals VERY COOL PLACE). The day aboard was very nice and full of relaxation. That night we had tapas (and two for one drinks) at Las Ramblas, fish and chips at Red Lion, and room service pizza and cookies for dinner. The ship was rocking again!!! To bed to bed.

SUN...Disembarkation. We booked the Natural Highlights of Oahu because our flight didn't leave until 4:30pm. We are SOOOO GLAD we did. When we booked, it felt like an expensive way to waste some time, but we got to see soooo much more of Oahu than we tried to see during the precruise two days. We went to Diamond Head again (without the hike this time) then to Hanauma Bay. I WILL RETURN TO HAWAII JUST FOR THIS PLACE. Kept driving up the coast to the blow hole, saw monk seals on rocks, then through the mountains with a stop at the Pali Lookout. SO glad we booked this excursion. Then to the airport for the 4:30 flight home. (6 year old behind me on the red eye in case you were wondering...he slept for three hours...coincidentally enough, so did I.) I was back in my apartment by 12:30pm on Monday, and an hour nap did me well...I'm surprisingly awake today.

So, in conclusion if you're still reading...the trip was amazing. We were so sleepy all week...maybe it was the dramamine which we took each night right before bed. We couldn't motivate ourselves to stay up late for anything (and by late I mean past 10 o'clock. That's fine because it would've felt even less restful. I'm THRILLED to have seen so much of Hawaii...KONA and LAHAINA were awesome additions....but after the sea day on Monday it was nonstop in port on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I could've relaxed, but felt guilty like I was missing the beauty around me. It would've been a very different trip with two sea days and Fanning...not better or worse....just different. more relaxing...more low key...more restful....but I LOVED what I saw.

Ask questions, I've come to terms with the fact that it's over...this rambling recap helped.

Thanks to all who answered my questions as I planned this trip. Your insights were invaluable.

Jeff

PS - We have a new found love of Everybody Loves Raymond (I never understood its following before) and King of Queens (again, wouldn't have given it the time of day) which was playing the ship tv. Add it to the list of good things to come of this trip.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;4;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]
...until my first cruise - NCL Star - 04/04/04

your review was great-having lived on the big island brought a chill and a tear to my eye- but LOL-my husband who NEVER watches network tv said the same thing about the King of Queens!!!
denise
til you cruise again!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;12;30;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Dawn New Years Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;10;8;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until St. Thomas

Mariposa-crew
SS Independence
NCL Dreamward-NFL cruise
NCL Dreamward-MLB cruise
NCL Wind
NCL Crown
NCL Dawn x 2

Archived