Cancelations and Alterations

kfrost72

We've been planning a cruise to Alaska with my mum-in-law. We already made the reservation and paid the deposit. We had selected a suite level room because we all liked the extra room and bonus' (breakfast in the pinnacle, Neptune Lounge, concierge) and we figured that splitting the cost between the 3 of us was not that bad.

This last weekend mum-in-law called and said she can't go. So now we're in a pickle.

We have cruise insurance, so I know we can cancel even just hers. But hubby and I still want to go. Can/should we get a smaller deluxe verandah to save money? If we really stretched and saved we could pick up the extra 3rd mum-in-law was going to pay for, but it will be a stretch. It's about $1,600 difference from the room we would pick for just the two of us, versus the one we have now.

Are the extra bonus' with the suite rooms worth it? I keep going back and forth. Would be so nice to have a king bed (as that's what we sleep on now). To have the extra help with concierge since this is our first cruise. To have a place to have some drinks.

Or should we just wait until March when we have to pay the bill? Or can we even change any of it?

Welcome to cruisecritic. I have not ever had the pleasure of suite-living so I'm not able to answer some of your questions. I think you do have some time before making any decisions, so keep asking questions and doing comparisons. I would guess it would be easier to step down one level in a month or two than to discover later that you really want the suite. Wherever you end up on the ship, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise. Alaska is awesome!

Why don't you call and talk either to your travel agent or HAL and find out what your options are?

Suite living is nice, but in Alaska it's the scenery and activities that matter more. And some of those shore excursions can be pricey - and memorable. You might want to price the ones you're interested in before you make a decision on the suite.

Hello kfrost72! My husband and I will be on the 26 May Westerday sailing as well! This is my first Alaska cruise - his second (but first visit to Glacier Bay for him). We are looking forward to it very much! I agree with the advice to chat with your TA or HAL rep regarding what your options are. We have never stayed in a suite so I can't comment on the Neptune amenities (or the extra room) but having sailed on another Vista class ship before in a VA aft room, we felt it was plenty of room for the two of us, with more than enough storage, and we loved the extra long balcony, so we have opted for that again on this cruise. If some of the amenities offered by the Neptune lounge sound to your liking, but not the extra money you would have to pay, there is also a "suite amenities" package you can order for yourselves (we are considering it) which includes, wine, bottles of liquor, a beverage card, robes, daily canapes or high tea, laundry service, dinner in the PG, and breakfast at the PG day of disembarkation - it's less than 1/4 of what you state your added cost would be to stay in your suite. Then you could spend the rest of it on excursions.

But, first things first, please confirm what your possibilities are, and what your real-live savings would be!

See you in May!

Maggie & Jeff

Archived