Equinox jan 23 2012 panama

TWO4THESEA

Just book our 11 nite Ultimate Caribbean Cruise for 1/23/12. On of the ports is Colon Panama and I'm wondering which excursion would be the best to see the Locks? We will be there for 10 hours at port.

Any suggestions?

I believe the best way to see the locks is from a vessel going through the locks..... so there is a tour that goes by various names depending on the cruise line, but what it is a partial transit of the Canal. From the ship you drive to the Pacific side where you board a ferry, lock through both Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut.

There are several tours that take you to either Gatun or Miraflores Locks often times in conjunction with other stops. but I think it's better to be part of the process. Gatun Locks are the biggest on the Canal but Miraflores Locks is set up to be the showplace Locks.

Just book our 11 nite Ultimate Caribbean Cruise for 1/23/12. On of the ports is Colon Panama and I'm wondering which excursion would be the best to see the Locks? We will be there for 10 hours at port.

Any suggestions?

I suggest an excursion that takes you from Colon to Panama City.

I've read you can book a small ship excursion ($$$$) that goes through the locks beyond Gatun Lake.

We took the Panama Canal Railway to tour the canal, it runs right alongside Gatun Lake and the Canal -- it was amazing! We booked that tour through Celebrity a number of years ago when we cruised on Summit doing the "Ultimate Caribbean".

There is another current thread on the Panama Canal.

The Ports section of Cruise Critic will offer you lots of information.

There is a great book "Path Between the Seas" about building the canal and a few very good documentaries, one is "A Man, a Plan......."

Today, they are busy building additional paths & locks, so you may want to investigate the present building project. We saw it in May 2011, it's huge.

Maris

Archived