What to do with a 3 yo in Belize...

cruisincarly

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a good excursion with a 3 year old in Belize. We've thought of a couple things, and would like feedback on those choices or suggestions for other things...

(1) Cave tubing: This sounds like a lot of fun, but it worries me that only one company will take kids as young as mine. I'm worried about whether it will be safe for my very squirmy son. If it is, though, I think he'd like it a lot. Has anyone taken a 3 year old or younger, and if so, what kinds of safety precautions do they have for kids that small/little? Can they ride on a parent's lap?

(2) Belize zoo: We like zoos a lot, but I'm not sure I want to go an hour away just to see a zoo that's not all that different from the ones we have at home. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about the zoo?

(3) Shark Ray Alley: This looks like fun. My son really likes stingrays, and I think he'd be excited by a chance to be in the water with them. Any experiences?

(4) Altun Ha ruins: We're going to do ruins either in Belize or Costa Maya. We've ruled out Lamanai because the excursion is just too long, but Altun Ha is a bit shorter, so perhaps more doable.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

We have done the cave tubing several times and have taken our 10-year-old grandson. He is an excellent swimmer - totally unafraid of water - and he loved it. However, I would personally never take a 3-year-old cave tubing! Even if they sit in your lap it is possible to fall off. I would not take the chance.

We took our 4 year old granddaughters to the Zoo and they loved it. It is quite different from the zoos in the US. All of the animals are native to Belize and the zoo is a bit primative. We all loved the experience and will go again.

The drive is even further to the cave tubing than to the zoo. You will actually pass the entrance to the zoo on the way.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking on the cave tubing, too.

I think we're settling on the zoo -- is it best to book this through a tour company or take a cab or hire a private driver?

We have done the cave tubing several times and have taken our 10-year-old grandson. He is an excellent swimmer - totally unafraid of water - and he loved it. However, I would personally never take a 3-year-old cave tubing! Even if they sit in your lap it is possible to fall off. I would not take the chance.

We took our 4 year old granddaughters to the Zoo and they loved it. It is quite different from the zoos in the US. All of the animals are native to Belize and the zoo is a bit primative. We all loved the experience and will go again.

The drive is even further to the cave tubing than to the zoo. You will actually pass the entrance to the zoo on the way.

We have used the same tour guide for two trips to the Zoo. He takes you through the zoo himself and is very knowledgeable. He also gives you a great city tour. His name is Griffith and you can reach him at syesue_bz@yahoo.com . However, since he only gets to take out one tour a day he normally does not do real small groups. We had 5 in our first group and 7 in our last one. He is wonderful so it would not hurt to try. Our granddaughters (both age 4) as well as our now 13-year-old grandson and all 4 adults loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Coralbreeze.com/belize has a zoo tour. It shows travel time of about 40 minutes, I think. We did the zoo in 2005 and absolutely loved it. This is a zoo with animals in their home habitat. The zoo tour guides will show you where to look if the animals aren't immediatly visable, for instance maybe asleep up a tree. It will be very hot,(but there is a lot of shade) so bring water.

Archived