Mt. Qua Qua

chadbeck

Has anyone done this hike recently? I found some info about it but all seems to be pretty old. Just wondering if the view from the top is worth it? Sounds like it is about 1.5-2hrs each way. Does that sound about what it took you? Is it a difficult hike? How well is the trail marked? Or any other information anyone has would be great.

Thanks

I did the hike in June, but didn't make it to the top. It was too slippery (I had on Keens), and there was too much razor grass for me to feel comfortable. Almost evrybody else in our 30+ group made it, though, without problems.

It's almost guaranteed to rain while you're up there. Some of the people in our group made it up and back down before it rained, but the slower ones got caught in a heavy shower. I was sooo glad I was in the snack bar when the sky opened up!

If you do the hike, wear shoes with good traction, carry rain protection, and wear long pants and sleeves to protect you from the razor grass. Gloves would also be a good idea. And a hiking stick. I may have felt more comfortable had I had all those things.

The trail is well marked, but we had a guide. Our group was too large, though, for everybody to hear what the guide was saying.

Everybody said the view was good, but I don't remember seeing anybody's pictures! If you have an iPhone, download the 360 Pano app so you can take an awesome photo.

• 1 month later...

I was supposed to hike it in December, but Celebrity screwed me over, so my info is a year old.

The view from the top AND the hike up is definitely worth it. You are walking up the rim of an (extinct) volcano. Sometimes the top is clouded over, so you have to wait for the clouds to blow by.

You can do it in 1.5-2hrs each way taking your sweet time. I've done it considerable faster, but I'm slightly crazy about my hikes and don't usually stop to take too many pictures.

The trail is well marked. It would be close to impossible for you to get lost. Just keep walking UP.

Ms411 is right. There is an EXCELLENT chance it will rain on you, so the trail can be slippery or have some muddy spots. There is a good amount of elevation change, you need to be in OK shape.

Razor grass grows like crazy on Grenada, so while they cut it back periodically, it always comes back onto the trails. You WILL know what it is when you find it. If it “grabs” you, don't panic and jerk back because that will literately slice you up. Try to carefully peel it back.

If you aren't scared off yet, it's definitely a good hike!

Dennis

Archived