Balcony Divider

mit429

I was recently on the NCL Pearl and booked adjoining balcony staterooms - and was informed by NCL's reservation agent that the door dividing the two balconies could be opened (just like the one between the two rooms).

When I got on board - I was told this was not allowed due to USCG regulations in relation to the Princess Balcony fire. I argued a bit, since we paid extra for these staterooms, in the specific class as they were connecting and where we wanted to be on the ship, but the ship staff refused. They did contact corporate, and a cheap bottle of wine was sent to both staterooms (I assume as consolation), but we were told the balconies would not be opening.

I was dismayed when we pulled up next to the Allure of the seas to find plenty of their balconies opened.

I would understand the necessity of this per "fire/USGC regulations" if the dividers would actually help to stop a fire -- they wouldn't, fire could go under, over, and around them. And the balconies are already sprinklered - so I really do not understand the concern.

Does anyone have any furniture information in regard to this - or NCL's policy?

(Also cross-posted here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1517462, but it was recommended I post here as well)

Ya thats odd . We have had ours opened before . Who did you piss off ? JK :D And truely they are not hard to open yourself , 2 forks and shazam ;).

I agree , I dont think its an USCG issue probably more of a ship by ship issue . Those doors can and do make a bit of racket if left open and unattended . ;)

Archived