MY tips/advice for enjoying the Poesia

sharecruises

Hi....

to focus on the positive and to help others enjoy the cruise and minimize the negatives

1) do not listen to anything the customer service people in Ft Lauderdale say

they will tell you boarding is at 2 pm, 4 pm...get there early....they do have lines lines lines...but you can get on the ship earlier than they tell you

2) do print out the express pass...you have to be together with your roomie or one of you has to put in the info;..fine for couples and families, bad for singles but you can have one person put in the info. For those who still do not have a passport....put in a bunch of zeros or ones etc where it requests passport, put in a fake date and print it out...they don't really check

express pass seems to speed up things

3) use a credit card or cash for onboard...they don't warn you that a debit card will have a hold placed on it for 30 days...150 on short cruise, 250 on 7 night....NCL does the same but warns you.....I had some people who are upset about this...I personally used cash plus my "one' real credit card and had no such problem

3 ) JMO>>> use the circular salad bars rather than the salad bars on the :line:....the circular ones have a lot more toppings and items such as bacon bits, sunflower seeds etc...much better

4) scout out the lines...they don't make a lot of sense....they are duplicated several times so try for a shorter line, the back lines near the so called "upscale" restaurant are often shorter and that area has larger round tables if that is important to you

5) Buy a drink package...super deal...loved it...12 drinks for price of 10..it was 79.95 >? i think included tip...and the workers are very nice to accept the coupons...you can even give one or more to friends or "buy" them a drink...NO problem....this was wonderful, so affordable...the drinks are good

6) the FREE soft serve ice cream is hidden at the entry to the buffet, it is actually out by the pool deck, a guy makes your cone for you....it was good but lots of people missed it the first few days...ask and find it

7) gelato was good and affordable..it is at the middle bar of the pool (Mojito I think)

8) do NOT miss the spa....free in USA ....can use 3 wonderful HOT hot tubs...sauna....thick towels....nice showers...just wonderful...look at the ocean from your hot tub

9) be smart about food at dinner...order everything....and anything..share....compare....order it all

always order the pasta and then you can mix your meat with it...the meat chicken breast, salmon etc is sort of dry and tastes better with the pasta

the "meatballs" were delicious...I did not order the lasagna but wish I had...had a bite from my tablemate....yummy

The food is not bad but not great, not too many standouts....so order lots

first 2 nights we ordered "moderately" salad, entree, etc...and they ran out of desserts on 2nd night and gave us vanilla ice cream....pretty disappointing

but then the last 2 nights we ordered everything and shared and put together stuff and it was much better

10) they do have a Captains Party with free champagne fruit punch and potato chips LOL>> it is in several lounges....check it out in the daily flyer

11) the "upscale" restaurant looked to be a joke...just a part of the buffet in the back....friends of mine who ate there said it was NOT worth the extra $20...they had a fish dish (turbot) that was on the regular menu on formal night....JMO save your $$...avoid this joke

12)the sushi restaurant got good reviews but was expensive. They offer a $25 all you can eat sushi , terriyaki, and more...that would be a good choice IMHO

13) ask for water....ask for water...insist on water at dinner

by the last night we had water and lemons but only after talking to Maitre D Johni who is very nice

<grin>

My room steward was great but did not automatically put ice in the cabin, had to ask, but then he did supply it. Bring larger glasses..they have the teeny tiny little glasses...smallest you ever saw. The water glasses at lunch and juice glasses at breakfast were like "doll glasses" LOL

14) carry a big mug and try to get water and ice at lunch...good luck

15) breakfast was good both at buffet and dining room. Dining room has eggs Benedict and yummy smoked salmon

16) Room service?? Ok for morning coffee...free...delivered with a smile...

just tip them...but the other items are horrid, could not eat...gag me...just the worst

17) If you like mayonnaise you will love the buffet....I found it pretty slim pickings except for salad bar....JMO MSC is very affordable so splurge in the ports for a nice lunch.....when you get back on ship there is nothing to eat from 4-6....room service is the worst ever...so eat on land IMHO

I did not try the sit down for lunch but that might be a better option??

You can also get a gelato between 4 and 6 and ask for ice water at the bar...that is much better than the horrid room service:D

18) Enjoy yourself...try to keep it as simple as possible to avoid the nasty desk clerks...enjoy the other nice workers on board :) Shows are really a treat, different so go with an open mind...buy a drink package and enjoy a great drink when in doubt LOL

Thanks for the helpful post. While a few of your tips are specific for sailing in the Caribbean and won't apply for my upcoming cruise in the Med, most are things that really help me. I'm definitely taking your advice on eating ashore for lunch. I do tend to like to do that anyway, but I'll feel really justified in doing it on my upcoming trip! For days that I am onboard for lunch, I'm going to give the dining room a shot since the buffet and room service sound like they are best avoided for lunch.

1. Go to all the shows in the main theater.

2. Take part in some games around the pool area.

3. Try the italian food, it is melt in your mouth wonderful!

4. If you do not like something, nicely ask for something else.

5. Cheese platter is wonderful, and you can ask for different cheeses.

6. They have the best fresh fruit. If you want more, ask.

7. WOnderful FREE hot chocolate, just ask. It is European Chocolate.

8. Zebra Lounge for dance lessons and if you are single or your partner does not dance, the staff will dance with you.

9. Learn a few Italian words, but A universal SMILE works too!

10. The center stairs, elevators do not go up to the pool deck. If going to the pool deck/buffet area use any of the other set of elevators/stairs.

11. Use the key card slot to allow your cabin steward to know if you are in the cabin, regulate lights and a/c.

Some more tips....

1. Ask for steamed veggies at dinner..they give you a great helping and several types

2. Always read then daily programme...there are very few announcements so it is the only way to find out what's going on, what's on offer, shuttle bus/tender info, if dining times have varied because of port times

3 they have great cocktails...try as many as you can..Mojito is particularly good. Coffees are excellent too...try the Amaretto cappuccino!

4. Order (free) room service breakfast as your morning wake up call (even if you just want tea or coffee). Remember to tick the box for milk if you want it, otherwise they will

serve the tea/coffee black.

5. Pastas, risottos and gelato are all excellent. If you like lasagne watch out for the Emilio Romano (sp) it is excellent

6 treat yourself to a spa treatment, those Balinese girls are fantastic

7 if you have not booked ship's or private tours and intend DIY, then do your research beforebyou board and bring maps and info with you...there is very little info to be had onboard

8. Don't miss the Buffet Magnifique (last Gala evening). Even if you are on second sitting for dinner and are still too fullnto eat, go at the start when they have it open for about 15 mins to view only. The food sculptures are amazing

The hot chocolate we always got in the dining room.

I forgot all those you listed above. The food sculptures are incredible. They also do ice ones in the back of the ship in the restaurant area.

Here is another: Pizza, not at lunch but the freshly made ones from the pizzaria area ( the small round ones) served at night in the buffet area.

• 3 months later...

Giving myself a quick reminder of my own "useful" (IMHO) tips for Poesia

and also some good tips from others

I plan to order the "steamed vegetables" on the side at dinner that some say they have *not on menu? cause I did NOT like the peas and carrots they OFTEN serve on the plated meals

I plan to order the lasagne....I had only one bite of a tablemate's lasagne last time and it was really tasty, I wished I had ordered it.

In fact I plan to order the pasta every night, whatever it is , often the best thing.

Lunch?? I will hit the larger salad bar in the back with more choices,

make my own salad and stay away from the prepared ones which are full of mayo. I will also try to get the "fresh made pasta" from the pasta station and stay away from the other prepared dishes

I will skip the desserts on the buffet....jello, puddin', dry cakes, "cheesecake" and "key lime' that taste like jello/pudding etc...all bad

I "know" where the elusive "free ice cream" is...the soft serve is outside the buffet and a crew member prepares your cones, line short as not many seem to know where it is tucked away

I also will splurge on a gelato from the Mojito bar, which is delicious and really affordable. I won't waste time on the buffet desserts tho I will try the fruit.

I saw on another thread to try some cookies from the buffet so that might be an option too?? Maybe a cookie and some soft serve ice cream?? I do think that you have to sort of "figure it out" on MSC

I will bring a large cup this time...I will make sure room steward knows I need/want ice in cabin....I think I will bring on some sodas and water too, see if it works or not , others were able to do it last time despite dire warnings from MSC Lol I will ask Maitre d for ice water and lemons on first night. I am American...I drink a lot of water. get over it LOL

I will plan on seeing all the shows again, they were really good

I will try to make it to the "Italian buffet" late night, a gala buffet that some in my group really enjoyed. They said the kind of Italian pastries one would expect - canolli etc - finally showed up on the "gala buffet" haha

I will eat LUNCH while in Nassau...maybe conch fritters?? Last time I skipped lunch, came back on board about 4:30 with NOTHING really open or edible..that is when I tried the truly awful room service. I won't make the same mistake. I am used to Carnival where good pizza, calzones, salad is 24/7 and the "deli" with reubens and smoked salmon and turkey sandwiches is open till 11 pm so you never go hungry (not to mention really good free room service offerings yum)

I will put cash on my account and a credit (not debit) card to avoid the "hold"

I will avoid the "front desk"

if at all possible. One puzzle on MSC is that they have 2 desks..other cruise lines combine them. MSC has the "reception" ...very unhelpful and sort of snotty people....sort of like a hotel desk...

and then they have the "accounting" desk...distant people , really the only place I felt that their English was lacking

IF you have a "problem" you may have to go to both desks...but I will go driectly to accounting desk and put my cash on my account. I will go early early day of departure and get back money if needed.

they also lack someone "expediting" the line ..ie on other cruiselines a staff member or supervisor will go up and down the line and see if they can help solve the problem before you get up to the desk

On MSC no one helps...and this IS the only place where I personally saw Europeans "cut in line">> they just bypass the line and rush up to the desk speaking Italian real fast and the smartly dressed staff will talk and talk to them LOL

Avoid them and keep your sanity:eek:

Sometimes to solve a "problem" you will have to stand in both lines. Further complication for those who want an excursion...?? they are on another deck LOL

Oh and I will buy the drinks deal...12 coupons for price of 10...love it love it...really a great deal on MSC, and one thing I liked about it better than other cruiselines...truly affordable drinks and great to have the little "coupons". The servers are very very nice about accepting them too...love it:D

Giving myself a quick reminder of my own "useful" (IMHO) tips for Poesia

and also some good tips from others

I plan to order the "steamed vegetables" on the side at dinner that some say they have *not on menu? cause I did NOT like the peas and carrots they OFTEN serve on the plated meals

I plan to order the lasagne....I had only one bite of a tablemate's lasagne last time and it was really tasty, I wished I had ordered it.

In fact I plan to order the pasta every night, whatever it is , often the best thing.

Lunch?? I will hit the larger salad bar in the back with more choices,

make my own salad and stay away from the prepared ones which are full of mayo. I will also try to get the "fresh made pasta" from the pasta station and stay away from the other prepared dishes

I will skip the desserts on the buffet....jello, puddin', dry cakes, "cheesecake" and "key lime' that taste like jello/pudding etc...all bad

I "know" where the elusive "free ice cream" is...the soft serve is outside the buffet and a crew member prepares your cones, line short as not many seem to know where it is tucked away

I also will splurge on a gelato from the Mojito bar, which is delicious and really affordable. I won't waste time on the buffet desserts tho I will try the fruit.

I saw on another thread to try some cookies from the buffet so that might be an option too?? Maybe a cookie and some soft serve ice cream?? I do think that you have to sort of "figure it out" on MSC

I will bring a large cup this time...I will make sure room steward knows I need/want ice in cabin....I think I will bring on some sodas and water too, see if it works or not , others were able to do it last time despite dire warnings from MSC Lol I will ask Maitre d for ice water and lemons on first night. I am American...I drink a lot of water. get over it LOL

I will plan on seeing all the shows again, they were really good

I will try to make it to the "Italian buffet" late night, a gala buffet that some in my group really enjoyed. They said the kind of Italian pastries one would expect - canolli etc - finally showed up on the "gala buffet" haha

I will eat LUNCH while in Nassau...maybe conch fritters?? Last time I skipped lunch, came back on board about 4:30 with NOTHING really open or edible..that is when I tried the truly awful room service. I won't make the same mistake. I am used to Carnival where good pizza, calzones, salad is 24/7 and the "deli" with reubens and smoked salmon and turkey sandwiches is open till 11 pm so you never go hungry (not to mention really good free room service offerings yum)

I will put cash on my account and a credit (not debit) card to avoid the "hold"

if at all possible. One puzzle on MSC is that they have 2 desks..other cruise lines combine them. MSC has the "reception" ...very unhelpful and sort of snotty people....sort of like a hotel desk...

and then they have the "accounting" desk...distant people , really the only place I felt that their English was lacking

IF you have a "problem" you may have to go to both desks...but I will go driectly to accounting desk and put my cash on my account. I will go early early day of departure and get back money if needed.

they also lack someone "expediting" the line ..ie on other cruiselines a staff member or supervisor will go up and down the line and see if they can help solve the problem before you get up to the desk

On MSC no one helps...and this IS the only place where I personally saw Europeans "cut in line">> they just bypass the line and rush up to the desk speaking Italian real fast and the smartly dressed staff will talk and talk to them LOL

Avoid them and keep your sanity:eek:

Sometimes to solve a "problem" you will have to stand in both lines. Further complication for those who want an excursion...?? they are on another deck LOL

Oh and I will buy the drinks deal...12 coupons for price of 10...love it love it...really a great deal on MSC, and one thing I liked about it better than other cruiselines...truly affordable drinks and great to have the little "coupons". The servers are very very nice about accepting them too...love it:D

I enjoyed your comments/hints. I do have to say that on my 9 night sailing, there was a noticeable improvement in people queuing for the reception desk as the cruise went on. The first time I needed to visit the reception desk, people did enter from the exit and did try to push ahead of me even in the sort of line. I stood my ground there, but there really wasn't much I could do about those who entered from the exit. I was fortunate in that the staff I interacted with though were all helpful so that took away some of the pain of the wait.

In case it was my comment about the cookies that you were referring to, I want to clarify that I only saw them at the tea on MSC Magnifica -- but then that was the only time I went to the buffet. I don't know if you can find them there at other times. They were a sort of shortbread cookie. The ones I especially liked had nuts (pignoli -- pine nuts), but I don't believe they all did. I thought they were perfect with a cup of tea.

I really hope you and your group enjoy your upcoming cruise. I look forward to hearing more tips from you. I do expect to cruise MSC again, but I believe with any cruise line I can learn things that will help me make the most of the cruise.

Thanks for the info

I will still look for cookies and maybe add to the ice cream or gelato :)

By the last night of the cruise I had learned to "add" my meat or fish to the pasta for a more tasty dish haha

I plan to order the lasagna and also the meatballs

Last time I didn't order the lasagna but tried a tablemates and it was really really good....:)

Thank you so much for your helpful hints.I am going with my Daughter and grandson.The advice on childs passport is just what I needed as he doesn't have a passport only original Birth Certificate and Government ID (he is 6).Even my T/A didn't have tthat advice.I will call her and let her no.We are going the week of Broward County's Spring Break.I am certain the ship will be filled with kids.

Thank you so much for your helpful hints.I am going with my Daughter and grandson.The advice on childs passport is just what I needed as he doesn't have a passport only original Birth Certificate and Government ID (he is 6).Even my T/A didn't have tthat advice.I will call her and let her no.We are going the week of Broward County's Spring Break.I am certain the ship will be filled with kids.

Hi Al....

LOL>> the "passport/no passport" confuses many MSC cruisers and at one point even their customer service here in Lauderdale was giving misinformation

While I personally have a passport, and would suggest getting one, the fact is that by law US born citizens may cruise to Bahamas, Caribbean and Mexico on "closed loop" (start and end in same port) cruises and re-enter the country with ONLY a state issued birth cert and other id

at one point various *(European etc) MSC cruisers "debated" me on that, and even the ill informed service people at MSC Ft Lauderdale gave out wrong info LOL>> but now you know, and yes, you can do the "workaround" and even print your express pass to board

Just put in 00's where it asks for passport number

Enjoy

THANK YOU sooo much for all the info you gave us! I will be sailing te Posiea next week, Feb 28-march 3.

Im traveling with my gf, a TA that is trying this ship out, maybe bring it into her agency. Not so sure about that front desk for excursions... might not be too easy. eeeek!!! we will see.

thanks again for ALL of the information, it will surely be used by many of us! gonna make a copy of it all and take with me! LOL

thank youuuuuuuuuuuu again!!!

Hi.... yes, I pulled up my old post from November to remind myself what to do/not do on Poesia as I will be on the ship again same sailing Feb 28 :)

I think most of the info is the same....my friends went on her for Christmas holidays and they said it was pretty good, in fact the service had somewhat improved from the cruise I was on in Nov, which was her first sailing out of Lauderdale for the 2011-12 season (they did have some kinks on this first out cruise, ran out of items on the menus on the 3rd night etc)

I think most of the ideas are still valid...

avoid the front desk "reception"

if you have money questions etc...don't wait in line at reception..go over to the accounting desk

the "excursion" desk is up on the next level....along with the "travel agency" as they call their future cruise dept

The ship itself is really beautiful and super clean. The "spa" area is wonderful, nice hot tubs, sauna etc...no charge for them while in USA

The shows are pretty short, different but enjoyable....not much in way of sets, but very neat "visual" acts (since many languages)

They had a really cool "quick change artist" couple, I hope to see them again

I intend to stick with the (aft) salad bar and the pasta station and the soft ice cream (or buy gelato) LOL. I plan to eat on the islands too

and try the main dining room for lunch on the sea day

I will be interested in hearing your honest review when u are back ?

I will post mine too

(and...I will really try to avoid the front desk haha. BTW...use a credit card or else put cash on your account....those in my group who used debit cards were furious cause MSC puts a "hold" on them that can last up to 30 days)

In two weeks time I will be joining the Poesia for my 7th MSC Cruise. I totally agree with all the tips given in this thread but here are a couple more:-

1: Before the cruise join the CC Roll Call, this is an excellent way of meeting some of your fellow cruisers before the cruise.

2: When on board make a point of speaking to different people each day and aim to speak to some who do not speak the same language as you. Even if you only know a few words of French/Spanish/German/Italian etc. you will be amazed at how much it blesses people if you try to use their native Tongue.

3: Enjoy and be thankful that you are able to have this wonderful experience.

Living in Ft Lauderdale I have had my experience with many cruises.Looking forward to trying an International line.Our last 2 cruises have been on HAL >We really love that line after trying them and will be cruising with them again in June.I will try to write a nonsubjective review .MSC offered us the best price with a good itinerary which is important to me.Can't beat the fact that Grandma only had to pay port charges for my grandson.Grandma gets brownie points for this one.LOL

We booked 2 tours through MSC and 1 independent tour in Isla De Roatan.Mostly beach related.Best choices for the 2 boys.

By the way HAl puts an 11$ a day hold on your credit card,as do most cruise lines these days.I usually try to prebook tours and drink cards in advance,but MSC didn't let me prepay,which means one would need more open limi on CC.

Living in Ft Lauderdale I have had my experience with many cruises.Looking forward to trying an International line.Our last 2 cruises have been on HAL >We really love that line after trying them and will be cruising with them again in June.I will try to write a nonsubjective review .MSC offered us the best price with a good itinerary which is important to me.Can't beat the fact that Grandma only had to pay port charges for my grandson.Grandma gets brownie points for this one.LOL

We booked 2 tours through MSC and 1 independent tour in Isla De Roatan.Mostly beach related.Best choices for the 2 boys.

By the way HAl puts an 11$ a day hold on your credit card,as do most cruise lines these days.I usually try to prebook tours and drink cards in advance,but MSC didn't let me prepay,which means one would need more open limi on CC.

MSC also takes $11 a day I think for tips, auto tips. No problem in that

The problem some had was that IF they used a debit card a hold is on the card for up to 30 days (above and beyond the tips and expenses)

You can go to the "accounting desk" (not to be confused with the "front desk") and remove this hold IF you pay off everything in cash the night before, or you can switch from debit to credit. After a certain hour however, the hold is on and you can no longer switch

Like it or not there are some things that are odd about MSC, and it is better to know before you go JMO (that rhymes LOL)

I would really suggest using a "credit" card or else put cash on the account. It also was easier to get adjustments if needed

I had to spend more time than I enjoyed helping people with various snafus. Better to keep it simple. I liked the drink coupons..that way you don't have to worry just use your drink coupons

Lots of simularities with HAL and the other cruise lines.Liked the drink cards they came in handy and helped keep track of how much we were drinking.LOL From what I have been reading MSC is sucessfully becoming more intuned with the American cruisers likes and dislikes.I am so looking forward to this upcoming cruise in less then 2 weeks.

Last year we had a cooler winter and the water in several ports was a little chilly for this Floridian.This year should be better as we have only had cool fronts

we are on the march 10 cruise with you alpal1933.The best deal if you drink wine is the 7 bottles of red or white at the dinner table for $80.00.

long cruiser

I do drink wine but for me that is way too much I like to have a Martini before dinner,but with the boys I don't plan on too much drinking

I really liked the "drinks" coupons....they were selling them all over on boarding day

get 12 drink coupons for price of 10, comes down to 6.85 per drink which is great, can use them at all bars, any time, for most any drink....pina colada and other frozens, mojito, margarita, baileys on the rocks, whatever..etc

I really liked the "drinks" coupons....they were selling them all over on boarding day

get 12 drink coupons for price of 10, comes down to 6.85 per drink which is great, can use them at all bars, any time, for most any drink....pina colada and other frozens, mojito, margarita, baileys on the rocks, whatever..etc

Thanks sounds GREAT!!!! Will hit the Bar early to purchase,I know we will find something we all like.Does the 6.85 include tip? Can you sell back unused ones at the end of the cruise?(not likely that I will have any left over)LOL

Archived