Bottle of Wine

jgiants21

I am thinking of bringing a bottle of wine on my next cruise. I understand that a corkage fee will be charged. I was wondering if NCL had a limit as to the size of bottle that could be brought on.

A normal wine bottle is 750ml, however bringing a larger bottle on would lower the corkage fee. Or would NCL charge a higher fee for the larger bottle.

Please help! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Jim

Carnival's Ecstasy (New Years 2002)
NCL's Pride of Aloha ( Inaugural- June 2004)

I don't know if this will work for you, but maybe consider bringing a box of wine. If this is for you in your room you might be better off (don't need a cork screw and less chance it will be confiscated). What do you think?

DJ

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;31;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
This is our FIRST Cruise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TVLady2:
I brought a bottle of wine on the Dawn for cabin use. Just wrapped it in a little bubble wrap between the clothes and checked the bag. Was no problem!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not a perfect system they don't get it all. But you have to expect your bag with booze will not make it to your cabin. Last cruise (DAWN) my single malt made to the cabin in the bag and others in our group who packed in plastic soda bottles had it intercepted. On the Sun it got red tagged (liquor) but still made to my cabin. Last year (DAWN) it never made it to my cabin until I gave the cabin stewart $20 and she "found it" at the front desk red tag and all.

Even it the thread was removed it will start again and again. For many this is an important issue. Having a cocktail in their cabin is part of many cruisers traditions.

Just be prepared to lose your booze and have a backup plan. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,
Norway 3/94,4/96
Dreamward 4/97
Dream 12/99
QE2 4/02
Carnival Spirit 7/02
NCL Sun 10/03
NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

Anyone interested in this question might want to go read the 'carrying wine and liquor on board' on the Celebrity board.
From comments on that thread it seems that Celebrity is a bit more accomodting in this matter than NCL.
Is that enough to influence you to choose one cruise line above another? I don't know, but you might just want to check that thread to get an idea of what is happening.

We were just considering a summer cruise on the Sea but am not happy to see this rule about bringing wine on board. On our recent Princess cruise we were able to bring on wine and did so. However we of course had a decent size bar bill. I am glad I read these posts before booking.

To jgiants21:
My limited experience with NCL leads me to concur with shoreguy: Pack your wine in bubblewrap in your checked luggage and cross your fingers. It may very well make it to your stateroom. I wouldn't try to transport the bottle in your carry-on luggage. The odds of it being intercepted are much higher if you carry it on. It almost seems like NCL holds an internal lottery to determine whose checked luggage they hold back once they've detected that there are liquids inside (I am picturing the NCL staff laugh as they read my post--I feel sure these posts are read by someone at the cruise line).

Norwegian Wind 11/22/03
Norwegian Spirit 6/19/04

Alexa K, Thanks for the idea. Reading all the post on this topic makes me believe that othes are very concern with NCL policy. I decided to leave it at home this trip. I don't need the hassle.

It is troblesome that NCL would not let you check in the bottle and charge a corkage fee. Many of us like to bring on board a special vintage that we have put away for a special time. Well, maybe next time!

I hope that terrorists aren't reading this as this thread has given them the best way to get explosives onboard. I hope when I travel the Sea, security is very intensive. To me a few hundred/thousand dollars (spent on alcohol)is nothing compared to the possible loss of lives.
We are in war and the terrorists are here also and can be the nicest person sitting right next to you. Let us remember that we want to live in a free country so lets do our part to keep it that way!!

spunkikay,

How did we get to terrorists. I agree that security should be tight and if the cruise lines would allow you to declare what you have, people would not sneak it on. All we ask is charge us a small fee, and let us enjoy a bottle or two. Maybe the lines could limit the amount of alcohol brought on the ship just like what is brought off.

As you may know, the Pride of Aloha is the first American ship is many years. A great way to support this country. I am excited to see how the new ship/crew do. Let's go cruising!

Archived