Ketchikan Tender?

alwalaska

Hi Alaska Cruisers,

I saw someone's pictures from the Spirit and they were anchored off shore and took a tender to Ketchikan. Do you know if this is standard or if it depends on the particular itinerary and/or date? My mom has problems with high steps and I am concerned that she may not be able to get off the ship when we have to tender.

Thanks.

OK, I am new to cruising, and am not positive I know what a "tender" is, but from the context clues and from being in Ketchikan twice in the last 8 years (my brother's wife is from there and they have a cabin on an island across from Ketchikan), I am guessing "tender" means the little boats one takes to get to shore if the cruise ship cannot get close enough to dock.

If I am correct, then I can tell you the whether or not you have to take a tender is entirely dependent on when you happen to be there. Some days there is only a ship or two, and some days we have seen 4, with people being ferried from the ship to the dock on those little boats. Ketchikan is tiny. You could probably ask ahead of time. I would suppose the cruiselines know how many boats will be in a certain port of call at a certain time.

I hope this helps, and I hope you have a great time on your Alaskan cruise! We haven't done one, because we spend time in Ketchikan with my brother's family, so cruising doesn't fit our schedule. We did, however, take the Alaska Inside Passage Ferry once and "cruised" up to Sitka. A cool city, very international, especially compared to Ketchikan.

I cruised Alaska on Princess & don't remember having to tender at any port. Check with the cruiseline for verification. Every port is fun & unique in it's own way. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy them all.

Archived