Where to eat in Santorini?

Will be there in June. We plan to walk around town on our own vs. shore excursion. We would like a place to eat local food, have a nice glass (or 2 or 3 ) of wine and have a beautiful view of the caldera. Where is your favorite stop and why? IS it worth it to take the bus to Oia and go to the wineries? Thanks- MO

There are loads of cafes overlooking the caldera just up from where you leave the funicular railway.

We had a lovely light meal at one of them, not sure of the name but just wander along and you will see them. There menus are out the front so you can decide on which one you prefer.

Also in Oia there are numerous restaurants with great views, but we found these more expensive than in Fira.

Jennie

You were lucky to be there as the sun was setting. We were on the ship sailing out of the caldera.
Thanks, Jennie! To be honest, though, I think that it was more being lucky that I hadn't called there on a ship. :D

It was part of a great week there with three Sydneysiders, a couple of whom were backpacking around the islands. Ever since that visit, I've wanted to arrive at Santorini by sea - but still haven't managed it in the intervening decade.

Michelle

You have a lot of restaurant choices. I wouid say just choose one with a view. The wines are quite nice. I had a couple of beers at the place right at the top of the funicular railway. It is a great view and a little pricey but worth it for the view and Mythos beer. Globaliser, what fabulous pictures. The sunset photo is spectacular or was that sunrise?

Archived