FYI if you have a license to carry

rascalious, Although I am not a lover of guns and do not own one, I have to agree with you. I would probably panic and shoot myself in the foot. But, I am pleased when I read a news story that a citizen has protected the innocent. What a lot of people don't think about is that the people who obtain a permit have to go through a training and background check to do so. Typically (never say never) they are not the ones committing crimes. So, I appreciate what you and people like you are doing and I hope if ever I'm in a situation that warrants it, there is a law abiding citizen, like you, to help protect me and others around me. The police cannot be everywhere at all times. Thank you.

rascalious, Although I am not a lover of guns and do not own one, I have to agree with you. I would probably panic and shoot myself in the foot. But, I am pleased when I read a news story that a citizen has protected the innocent. What a lot of people don't think about is that the people who obtain a permit have to go through a training and background check to do so. Typically (never say never) they are not the ones committing crimes. So, I appreciate what you and people like you are doing and I hope if ever I'm in a situation that warrants it, there is a law abiding citizen, like you, to help protect me and others around me. The police cannot be everywhere at all times. Thank you.

Thanks, very kind words. God forbid a situation would ever come to that. I am not law enforcement or a believer in vigilante justice. Just the legal mess of firing a gun in public is something I would not relish. Even if the shooting is "justified" and you have a legal defense to prosecution, you can still be sued by the perpetrator or his family.

You touch on the subject of protecting others from harm. The state law does allow for that in preventing desparate situations (ie. impending rape, kidnapping are two that come to mind). I am a firm believer that these matters are best left to those law enforcement officers who are trained to handle it. If the situation is "desparate", well I hope I'm not there. I don't think anyone can say for sure what they would do, until it actually happens.

I apologize for getting off subject. I will try to keep my comments related to the O.P.'s original question. I am not aware that having a carry permit places one on a "security risk list" - the government has all the info they need. So, I suppose it is possible, but don't know why. Everyone goes through the scanners anyway.

Guest OBAYbee

Does the OP have an arrest or fine on record that has not been resolved? That could be the problem. Other then that if it were me and they singled me out the way they did the OP, that person or persons would have a lot of explaining to do.

That is too funny! My husband has a federal explosives permit for handling and shipping explosives. We fly a lot and have never been subjected to any additional scrutiny. Flying home from Las Vegas yesterday, I was the one that had to stand in the fishbowl for the full body pat down. They finally determined that my watch, rings, underwires, and earrings had exceeded the metal quotient of the detector. I had no problems with less than the same items at my home airport. It is just random security, unless you are on a list somewhere. :)

I am another that is rabidly against guns (from a personal stand-point). Among other things, I am an actor and even hate having to handle starter pistols and other non-loadable guns for stagework, but I do it. It has always infuriated me that one had to pass a compentency test to operate a vehicle but not to operate a gun.

That said, despite my personal displeasure with guns, I am fully behind any person's right to bear arms *provided they pass a competency test to show they know how to handle it*. My personal view is that once someone can competently handle one and is licensed to provide official record of that ability and ownership of a weapon, then they have the right to make their own personal decisions whether to carry and/or use one. I'm very concerned about accidents from people carrying weapons that they don't know how to handle. The registration and licensing of weapons and weapons proficiency deals with my two largest objections to having these rights.

jdfloyd, regarding the issue of having metal support devices in your body, a good friend who has a large pin in his ankle from a white-water rafting accident told me that he got some sort of special form or document (I've never seen it, he's just told me about it) from the surgeon that documents what is in his ankle that might set off metal detectors. They run the wand over him and as long as it doesn't go off anywhere else besides his ankle, he is allowed to pass. I had always assumed that doctor's normally provide this type of documentation when such surgery is completed, but I guess not. You might want to talk with your physician/surgeon and get such a document.

Thanks for all the replies. I was not bothered by the fact that it took me a long time, but I did miss my flight because the security took over 1 1/2 hours and we were told to get to security 1 hour prior. Anyhow, when I asked why I may be on this "list" that they had I was asked if I had a carry permit and that was probably the reason. It may have also been that I got the permit recently. The powder on the shoes was told to me at my pistol club orientation.

Also, in answer to a previous post, I was in fact flying out of Logan.

As for why I have a permit, I just like to target shoot for sport. My firearm is locked and unloaded at home, and quite secure. This is not really the forum to start discussing gun laws as the debate could get long and heated.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read in the Boston Globe that Logan has put in an explosives "sniffer" that blows air on you and then detects any explosive residue on your clothes. I don't believe they had this when I went through, but my post about going to the gun club and then to the airport with the same clothes or shoes would seem even more relevant now.

Archived