Another turbine fire on QM2

capnpugwash

I understand that there was another fire on board QM2 today, I don't have any further information other than the fact that the crew had to muster. I wonder what causes this to happen, maybe it is the fact that they are not used regularly anymore in these days of fuel savings.

I understand that there was another fire on board QM2 today, I don't have any further information other than the fact that the crew had to muster. I wonder what causes this to happen, maybe it is the fact that they are not used regularly anymore in these days of fuel savings.

they would/should be covered by regular inspection>maintenance>testing though.

if they are never using them, & they are having regular problems with them, maybe they should just remove them?

the combined weight of the 2 turbines is ~10.5 metricton

when you add in the fuel & other associated systems, its quite a bit of extra weight.

Capnpugwash, thanks for letting us know & looking forward to an update when possible. I don't know how many were on board - or if work on the re-fit is still being done, but I hope the crew and everyone on board is ok. Best wishes to all on-board. -S.

... maybe they should just remove them? ...its quite a bit of extra weight.

QM2 sailed for seven years without any turbine incidents that we know of. Sad if they were removed as it would mean that she would never again sail at anything close to her original service speed. (Yet another demotion for the Queen :()

Is it possible that the gas turbine engines aboard QM2 could be replaced with the same gasoline engines that cars use like a large V-8 engine? I'm just asking. Regards,Jerry

Is it possible that the gas turbine engines aboard QM2 could be replaced with the same gasoline engines that cars use? I'm just asking. Regards,Jerry
I do know that the same gasoline engine used to power lawn mowers are also used to power emergency generators used by homeowners when there is a electrical black-out. Regards,Jerry

I wondered a why I saw QM2 only at 2 knots in the near of Borkum (German isle in Northsea near the border of the Nederlands) the day after floating out of drydock on a site which provides AIS information.

I thought that there were some tests after the refit. After the first inspection in 2005 QM2 tested releasing the anchors in river Elbe in the middle of the night. It was awsome but loud. Half of the people of Hamburg must have been awakened by the sound.

I hope the fire was minor and nobody was injured. As I saw QM2 arrived Southampton yesterday and is docked at Mayflower terminal.

Frank

Archived