"Pink" Sand Beaches

kingoftheicedragons

• 2 weeks later...
Ahhh you went to Crane Beach....

How much was the car and driver? How far away was it (45 min?)? Did you access the beach through the hotel or at the free beach access? If the beach access, was the path treacherous? Was it crowded? Are there chairs/umbrellas for rent? Was there a place to get food/drinks (the hotel maybe?)?

Sorry to bombard you :o My husband and I are trying to find a 'off the beaten path' kind of beach to spend the day at when we cruise to Barbados in November.

We booked with Johnson's I believe...it was $40 an hour for the driver. It took us about an hour to get there as our driver wanted to go a more indirect route, he took us past the Chinese embassy to Barbados and through some residential areas (I wasn't too happy about that, but I guess that way we saw a little bit of the area).

The driver initially took us to the hotel, but the guard at the gate said that we could use the public entrance if we didn't want to pay the fee for beach access, so we did that. The public access path wasn't the greatest, but you should have no problems if you're careful. You do have to cross a board at one point, and some of the stones aren't flat, and I think some stones were missing so you had to step on rocks, but just take your time (yes, that means that you're accessing it by going over a rocky area, which really surprised me). There are beach chairs and umbrellas just sitting out unoccupied. We didn't use them when we were there, so I don't know if you were expected to rent them or if they were just set up there by the hotel for their guests and who would know if you were actually a guest or not? It wasn't crowded at all when we were there.

The hotel would have a restaurant, and I believe if you pay for beach access through the hotel, you get that amount (or a portion of it) refunded if you eat at the restaurant.

You can check out some pictures of Crane Beach here.

http://themiddleofnowhere.blogspot.com/2012/03/barbados.html

Archived