Timelapse video of QM2 webcam at sea

fg_hb

Hello,

I recorded the pictures of the QM2 webcam yesterday as there was predicted high seas.

I made a video from this pictures and upload it to Youtube today. If you are interested to see how marvelous the QM2 is cutting through the Atlantic Ocean you may have a look at

Today I'm also recording the pictures. If the sea state changes I will upload another video tomorrow or the day after.

Unfortunately I'm not on that crossing which I had liked very much. :(

Frank

Hello,

I recorded the pictures of the QM2 webcam yesterday as there was predicted high seas.

I made a video from this pictures and upload it to Youtube today. If you are interested to see how marvelous the QM2 is cutting through the Atlantic Ocean you may have a look at

Today I'm also recording the pictures. If the sea state changes I will upload another video tomorrow or the day after.

Unfortunately I'm not on that crossing which I had liked very much. :(

Frank

Great video Frank. What software do you use to capture the individual webcam pics? I kind of assume you don't sit there all day waiting for the image to change and then save it :D:D:D

J

Nifty thanks for the video.

I wondered why the QM2 seemed to be taking a southerly crossing route. I thought maybe they were trying to arrange a "Queens passing in the Atlantic" photo op with the QE as it returns from the Carribean to Southampton.

But I think it would take an extra day of sailing for both ships, or the locations on the Cunard nose camera page might not be that accurate anyway.

Wish we were there, too.

David

Great video Frank. What software do you use to capture the individual webcam pics? I kind of assume you don't sit there all day waiting for the image to change and then save it :D:D:D

J

Hello,

indeed I'm not sitting in front of my computer to save the pictures :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, but the question about the software is a little bit difficult and my answer maybe a little bit too technical:

My main operating system is Linux which has many tools for networks which Microsoft Windows does not have after normal installation.

First I managed to get the "real location" of the picture at the Cunard webpage. Then I wrote a tiny script which downloads the picture and which ads the date and time to the filename. The download itself is done by the command "wget" which behaves like a webbrowser (Firefox, Internet Explorer), but instead of displaying the content on the screen it is saving it to the harddisk. This script is started every minute from the internal timer (cron) as soon as the computer is switched on.

I will send the script to everone who requests by email.

Frank

Frank, I do not know how you made this video, but I appreciate it and enjoyed it. I have only been on three roundtrip crossings on the Queen Mary 2 since 2008. Even though my recent crossing was in October 2011, that view from the bridge just makes me want to return to the wonderful experience of a crossing on the QM2.

Thanks for the video posting.

Terrence

Frank it is a great bit of techno stuff but you might consider getting out a little more. :):eek::)

Capn P. you're just jealous like the rest of us that you are not aboard. Frank - Thank you for posting this. I've had the good fortune to experience 9 crossings on the QM2.

Linda

Archived