I think I've found a solo cruise!!!!

I have been looking at a cruise to do by myself and found a deal on Rhapsody of the Seas (22 Jan - 3 Feb) for a 12 night South Pacific cruise.

The cruise departs from Sydney and visits Isle of Pines, Suva, Port Denarau, Vila, Lifou, Sydney.

The price for a solo guarantee inside is $1348 which includes all taxes and gratuities as well ... no more to pay!!!

I've never sailed on Rhapsody before, but have been on Legend in 2001. Is this a pretty good deal and worth grabbing? It's also during cyclone season, does that matter much?

I almost missed out completely as I found this deal and went and saw a couple of TA's and contacted 2 US T/A's via e-mail, and the pricing was pretty much identical. I had to sort out a few things before I booked and when I decided to go ahead today, the inside guarantees had all sold and the next cheapest price was just under $1,900 ... big difference.

I was disappointed and said that will teach me to just book and worry about the details later LOL. One of the local TA's how I saw left a message on my phone later this afternoon, and when I called her she said she too was disappointed that the deal was no longer on offer. What she had been doing was going on line and checking the pricing during the day ... after quite a few checks, she found one guarantee for the special price and grabbed it and put a hold on it for me.

I was really impressed as when I was looking yesterday, none of the TA's could put a hold on the cabin, as it had to be booked and paid for straight away. So I said I would go and see her tomorrow and pay for my cruise. Pretty good service, I think! I've never had an inside before, but cruising solo is expensive, so I think you have to grab the deals and just do it. I'm also thinking that having an inside will force me to leave the cabin and mix with other people too as I hate not having a view/window.

So I thought I would check with the experts if this is the one to book!!!

A great solo price. Haven't been on Rhapsody but have been in inside cabins on Celebrity, Princess & P&O cruise lines & we've never been bothered by the lack of natural lighting. The lights & mirrors cleverly camouflage the fact that you are inside. At night we always leave the bathroom light on with the door shut & that crack of light is enough to move around if necessary. Also we put the bridge cam on as soon as we wake up & that gives light as well as an idea of location & weather conditions.

Often with guarantee cabins you can get a visit from the upgrade fairy if you are lucky! i'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

I have been looking at a cruise to do by myself and found a deal on Rhapsody of the Seas (22 Jan - 3 Feb) for a 12 night South Pacific cruise.

The cruise departs from Sydney and visits Isle of Pines, Suva, Port Denarau, Vila, Lifou, Sydney.

The price for a solo guarantee inside is $1348 which includes all taxes and gratuities as well ... no more to pay!!!

I've never sailed on Rhapsody before, but have been on Legend in 2001. Is this a pretty good deal and worth grabbing? It's also during cyclone season, does that matter much?

I almost missed out completely as I found this deal and went and saw a couple of TA's and contacted 2 US T/A's via e-mail, and the pricing was pretty much identical. I had to sort out a few things before I booked and when I decided to go ahead today, the inside guarantees had all sold and the next cheapest price was just under $1,900 ... big difference.

I was disappointed and said that will teach me to just book and worry about the details later LOL. One of the local TA's how I saw left a message on my phone later this afternoon, and when I called her she said she too was disappointed that the deal was no longer on offer. What she had been doing was going on line and checking the pricing during the day ... after quite a few checks, she found one guarantee for the special price and grabbed it and put a hold on it for me.

I was really impressed as when I was looking yesterday, none of the TA's could put a hold on the cabin, as it had to be booked and paid for straight away. So I said I would go and see her tomorrow and pay for my cruise. Pretty good service, I think! I've never had an inside before, but cruising solo is expensive, so I think you have to grab the deals and just do it. I'm also thinking that having an inside will force me to leave the cabin and mix with other people too as I hate not having a view/window.

If you got that for $1348 with tips that is fantastic:) I would agree having a inside cabin will encourage you to get and mix with other people. It is only a place to sleep. When I cruised years ago on my own I was in a inside cabin, but was able to share with other people (who I didn't know), and it was good. I paid nearly that back in the 80's.

Have a fantastic cruise, make sure you join your roll call.

OMG!!! :eek: I just fell off my chair! Tamarah has finally booked!!!!!!! :p :D

As the Queen of solo travel, that is an awesome deal! ;)

Make sure you book traditional dining, whatever time suits, on a LARGE table so you make lots of friends. And of course, find your roll call on here. I actually know people going on that cruise! (who I met cruising in the past). I'm meeting them that morning for breakfast :D And they are active on the rollcall......lovely people :) Go introduce yourself and I'll pop on by.

A great solo price. Haven't been on Rhapsody but have been in inside cabins on Celebrity, Princess & P&O cruise lines & we've never been bothered by the lack of natural lighting. The lights & mirrors cleverly camouflage the fact that you are inside. At night we always leave the bathroom light on with the door shut & that crack of light is enough to move around if necessary. Also we put the bridge cam on as soon as we wake up & that gives light as well as an idea of location & weather conditions.

Often with guarantee cabins you can get a visit from the upgrade fairy if you are lucky! i'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

Hi Aussie57, thanks for the info about cruising in an inside as I really wasn't sure that I could do it, but for that price, it was hard to turn down and means I can cruise again later in the year. I'm happy that I seem to have got a great deal .. makes me feel much better and glad that I did it and will say a huge thank you to the TA too for going the extra mile with her constant monitoring of the price and then when she finally found one solo at the reduced price, she booked it for me and then called me to tell me. How nice is that!!!

I'm really looking forward to my cruise and will be interesting to see how an inside is, who knows, I might end up liking it. Like you said, I can watch the TV and see where I am and what the weather is like. Thanks for the tip re the bathroom light ... that's a great idea. I can't wait!!

If you got that for $1348 with tips that is fantastic:) I would agree having a inside cabin will encourage you to get and mix with other people. It is only a place to sleep. When I cruised years ago on my own I was in a inside cabin, but was able to share with other people (who I didn't know), and it was good. I paid nearly that back in the 80's.

Have a fantastic cruise, make sure you join your roll call.

Hi Australia Family, yep, the price for a solo cabin (inside guarantee) is $1348 which includes all the taxes and gratuities ... so nothing else to pay, except for what I decide to spend on the ship. Pretty good deal for a solo ... actually, the price for twin is hardly any different, so at least I know cheap solo deals do come up, you just have to know where to look!!!

Will be interesting to see how I find an inside, but it will get me out of the cabin!!! On my last cruise on the Diamond, I posted on the roll call that I'd love to go on that cruise, but was by myself ... well the next thing I knew a certain someone (no names in case I get her into trouble LOL) found a roomie for me and I ended up sharing with someone I had never met, but we chatted on line heaps before the cruise, and I ended up having a fabulous time in a mini suite on the Diamond Princess and made some great friends!!!

Just noticed you comment about you paying that in the 1980's LOL ... I really feel like I got a bargain now ... better pay ASAP before they change their minds!!!!

Actually, I just remembered when I was checking pricing with RC yesterday and they told me there were no guarantees left, I said I'd check again tomorrow just in case they released some and she told me that there was no point in doing that as guarantee insides weren't sold to solos .... I told her that I had been given pricing by 4 TA's and even RC the day before ... made me have a little giggle!!!

OMG!!! :eek: I just fell off my chair! Tamarah has finally booked!!!!!!! :p :D

As the Queen of solo travel, that is an awesome deal! ;)

Make sure you book traditional dining, whatever time suits, on a LARGE table so you make lots of friends. And of course, find your roll call on here. I actually know people going on that cruise! (who I met cruising in the past). I'm meeting them that morning for breakfast :D And they are active on the rollcall......lovely people :) Go introduce yourself and I'll pop on by.

Don't worry, I almost fell off my chair too!!! Now I am super happy that the Queen of Solo cruising thinks I got a good deal!!!

I've joined the roll call, but it's pretty quiet ... on 3 pages ... a bit different to the Diamond last year, that went on forever!!! Thanks for the into .. greatly appreciated!!!

Still can't believe that I have actually done it, and when I found out yesterday that I had missed out because I took too long to decide, it made me realise that I really wanted to go. Can't thank my new TA for continually checking the pricing (unbeknown to me) and actually making the booking for me without me knowing and I am going to go and pay today, before anyone changes their mind!!! Did I mention that I'm over the moon that I have finally made a decision and actually made a booking !!! Now, let the countdown begin!!!!

LOL, ATJE, you never spoke a truer word. There IS nothing like just missing out to make you realise just how much you DID want it! I'm so glad you got a great deal - it's very hard for solo travellers everywhere with the single loading. That is the happy story for the day. :):):)

YAY - wonderful news

So great to see you've booked your next cruise & even better - you snagged a fabulous deal.

Just back from Dawn Princess 2 nighter in an inside, and although I'd always prefer a window or a balcony, inside is a million times better than staying at home :D !!!! I found that there was a tiny bit of light from under the cabin door at night, so didn't even need the bathroom light on. Also, being in an inside cabin will encourage you to get out and about and you'll make lots of new friends!!!

NOW - you must make sure to let us know your plans so we can all meet up for a reunion in Sydney. January 21 is no good as my son is getting married that day, so hoping you're here a couple of days either side of the cruise.

LOL, ATJE, you never spoke a truer word. There IS nothing like just missing out to make you realise just how much you DID want it! I'm so glad you got a great deal - it's very hard for solo travellers everywhere with the single loading. That is the happy story for the day. :):):)

Hi Sandielle, tell me about it!!! You always want what you can't have LOL!!! I'm just so happy that I got a second chance to jump on board.

Wow, it's good to know I am the happy story of the day ... will make me feel good all day knowing that ... thanks so much!

I've found a couple of great websites that show solo pricing and that has really helped me find a cruise to do. Now I have so many options for the next one ... where do I start LOL!!! Voyager of the Seas and Celebrity Solstice are high on the wish list ... now to hunt down a solo special ... wish me luck with that!!!

YAY - wonderful news

So great to see you've booked your next cruise & even better - you snagged a fabulous deal.

Just back from Dawn Princess 2 nighter in an inside, and although I'd always prefer a window or a balcony, inside is a million times better than staying at home :D !!!! I found that there was a tiny bit of light from under the cabin door at night, so didn't even need the bathroom light on. Also, being in an inside cabin will encourage you to get out and about and you'll make lots of new friends!!!

NOW - you must make sure to let us know your plans so we can all meet up for a reunion in Sydney. January 21 is no good as my son is getting married that day, so hoping you're here a couple of days either side of the cruise.

I know, I'm still pinching myself and am so proud of myself for finally booking something all by myself ... thanks to my TA for her constant checking otherwise I wouldn't be going!!!

You are so right, it's heaps better to be inside and on the ship ... I'll remind myself of that when I first see my cabin LOL!! This will really force me to get out on deck and feel alive and meet some new friends. Wish some of my Diamond friends were on board too!!

I'm actually going to Sydney for a family party on the 4th of Feb, that's why this cruise had my name on it as it arrives into Sydney on the 3rd, which means I didn't have to pay extra airfares to go back to Sydney ... how perfect is that! I haven't worked out my return date yet ... so once I get accommodation sorted and flights, I let you know. It would be lovely to have a catchup. Great thinking Gai!!!

Well done Tamarah...great deal..if you dont like inside cabins then the best best is to book a sanctuary for the cruise...best of both worlds..dont know if the Rhapsody has one though.

Gai!!! Does this mean you are elite now?:p

Thanks Sue. I don't know is Rhapsody has a sanctuary, but I don't think I will even if it does. I'm more than happy to join in all the activities and lie on deck and relax ... sounds perfect and just what I need. My first real solo cruise! This could be the start of something ... especially if I find out outside cabins aren't that bad!

Tamarah stay a few days before or after your cruise with me...we can all catch up..I might have found my alpacas by then:p

Hi Sue, I don't think I'll be able to stay with you this trip as I can't leave dad for too long so am only getting there the day before and am staying 3-4 days after, as I'm meeting family for a catch up, plus there are a few people that I would also like to see while I am there, and they are mostly near the CBD. I will definitely come back again and will stay with you and play with the alpacas ... thanks so much for the offer and I will take you up on it down the check -- is a rain check OK???

Well done Tamarah...great deal..if you dont like inside cabins then the best best is to book a sanctuary for the cruise...best of both worlds..dont know if the Rhapsody has one though.

No, no private booking area on the Rhapsody (aside from the spas!)

Hi Ausie TJE,

I'm so glad to hear you have found a solo cruise bargain. I am looking at a solo cruise at the moment, have booked the airfare's but price on cruise still a little expensive, now you have me thinking I better hurry and just book it in case I miss out... Was your Travel Agent in Adelaide?

Cheers

Robyn

Hi Ausie TJE,

I'm so glad to hear you have found a solo cruise bargain. I am looking at a solo cruise at the moment, have booked the airfare's but price on cruise still a little expensive, now you have me thinking I better hurry and just book it in case I miss out... Was your Travel Agent in Adelaide?

Cheers

Robyn

Hi Robyn, well, between us we are all organised ... you have flights (I don't) and I have the cruise booked (you don't) LOL!!!

Which cruise are you looking at and what price is it? I'll see what price I can find for you, if you like??? I have learnt from almost missing this cruise, that if you see a solo at a great price, just book it ... I am terrible at making decisions, but you have to make quick decisions with cruise prices, especially when they are sailing in just over a month. Still can't believe that I have done it! I am really keen to see how I find an inside .... I am sure my shoulders will drop when I walk in the room and I'll want to cry (esp since my last cruise was on the Diamond Princess in a mini suite LOL), but after a little while I won't care ... I'll be sailing and that's the most important thing.

Yep, my TA is based in Adelaide ... never used them before, but have been pretty impressed with their service so far. Never even had a follow up call from the other one I saw on the same day, and they were my first choice to use too. It's nice when someone gives you that bit of extra service, that you weren't expecting. I kept checking myself (not knowing that she was also checking), and never found that price again ... still haven't, so she did a brilliant job!!!!

I have found a great website and it gives solo pricing as well as all the other options, so I knew what the price should be (plus I compare it to a few US ones too, but no difference in price).

Archived