BOS Hotel Recommendation needed

riverdees05

Please give us more details like exact date, hotel budget, and general purpose of your visit. Cruises don't start until May, so I'm betting you'll be in Boston for another reason.

Downtown Boston hotels don't offer a free airport shuttle service. The hotels that do have a shuttle tend to be located in fringe areas like Revere, Saugus, Chelsea, etc. Sometimes you can get a good deal at the airport Hilton.

We are flying into Boston on April 19 to spend a week in Cape Cod. The other folks are getting there on April 20. We are staying till the 27th. So I was wanting to get a reasonable motel with airport transportation so that we could spend the night and then go back to the airport to pick up the rental car and our friends. I got a lot of help from 123east on finding a place in Boston for our cruise last September, so thought I could get great help here on this trip, too.

You are coming school vacation/Boston Marathon week, but fortunately not on Marathon day. You have two choices - stay in Boston and pay the cab fare or stay at an airport hotel and not be anywhere near downtown Boston. I'm seeing the Extended Stay in Winthrop for $115 incl tax on Kayak - apparently an in town setting close to the water with some places nearby to eat and a bus to the "T". I'm also seeing the Holiday Inn Express in Saugus for $136 incl tax on trinityreservations.com - apparently a more isolated location. I'm not a big expert on the Boston Airport hotels, so please check these out yourself.

Post back if you want to pursue downtown hotels in Boston and give me your budget. How much time do you have between your arrival and your friends arrival? Perhaps you might consider renting the car a day early and exploring the Salem or Concord area - there are always nice reasonable hotels along Rte128 on Hotwire for a 1 night stay.

OK - so the Extended Stay or Holiday Inn Express would work for you as well as any other "airport" hotel that has a shuttle. None of the hotels with shuttles are going to be in downtown Boston. The Extended Stay sounds interesting because has an in town Winthrop setting - it's also closer to the airport than Saugus. Take a look at what's out there, but don't do Chelsea, Quincy, or South Boston - stay with the hotels that are primarily in the business of servicing Logan Airport.

• 2 weeks later...

If you travel light and are physically capable of walking moderate distances with your bags, you can take a free shuttle bus from the airport terminals to the subway system ~10 minutes from Logan. This will get you into town (or a few miles further north to Revere) for under $5 for the two of you, thus opening up any subway-served hotel you'd like and keeping costs low.

If you want to stay closer to the airport, I'd recommend a night in historic Salem vs the fairly nasty town of Saugus any day. (I live on the coast near Salem.)

Avoid anything on Rte 1 if you can. (The airport is on Rte 1A, which is a completely different state highway.) I'm a huge fan of Hilton's Homewood Suites, for example, but the one in Peabody, on Rte 1 (near Saugus) was really, REALLY below the level I expect in a Hilton. (We stayed there for a week while renovating our home in October 2009.) Most of the chain hotels are along Rte 1 or along Rte 128 (often, but not always, the same road as I-95.)

If you took your rental car a day earlier, you could easily enjoy a nice suburban location like Salem (museums and small city feel) or Marblehead (seaside village feel.) Because October is prime season in Salem, you might get a good deal.

FYI: Salem is served by the commuter rail line, but NOT the subway line, so riding in on the subway (Blue) line would then require changing to the subway (Green) line for a couple of stops to North Station where you could switch to a north-bound commuter train. Not worth it--rent a car or take a cab. It is, however, very easy to take a day trip into Boston from Salem via commuter train.

Please pardon me if this is too far afield from what you were looking for, but I would hate to have anyone stay in Saugus and judge Boston based upon that experience.

Archived