December 9, 16, 23, 30 2012 Mexican Riviera Cruises Cancelled!

Tonk's right. Besides, NCL has a ship there doing exactly that (Pride of America). It would cost too much and they would be going head to head with an established ship...

Actually I have a question for Tonk (he seems to know this stuff :)). I am assuming The Jones Act requires a stop at a foreign port. I was thinking that the 100/200 sq foot that Captain Cook's Monument stands on is technically British soil... But it ain't a port :o

LOL.....well Hexdragon....if they agree it would be a foreign port, I won't object....but I don't think so! Not to mention there maybe a shortage of excursions:rolleyes:

AKK

Actually it is the Passenger Vessel Services Act that requires this, not the Jones act. So if Disney wanted to do RT cruises out of Hawaii they would have to stop at a foreign port. The closest foreign port to Hawaii is Fanning Island.

You are indeed right it is the passinger act.......either way though....passingers are cargo!.in fact they are the worse type of cargo for a vessel crew,for one simple reason.............THEY CALL BACK TO YOU! :eek:

AKK:rolleyes:

You are indeed right it is the passinger act.......either way though....passingers are cargo!.in fact they are the worse type of cargo for a vessel crew' date='for one simple reason.............THEY CALL BACK TO YOU! :eek:

AKK:rolleyes:[/quote']

Ok I never could type well....that is supposed to read

*THEY TALK BACK TO YOU!*

Interesting that someone mentione Panama Canal cruises. I wouldn't peg Disney for doing those.

DH and I did one for our honeymoon a couple years ago, it was amazing. I wouldn't expect children truly to appreciate that region of the world. But hey they are the experts, not me ;)

There are more than children on DCL.

To clarify this thread.

The specific law is the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

A foreign flagged ship doing a closed loop cruise (ending at the same port it started) must stop at one foreign port. This is why the 3/4 day trips out of Florida must stop in the Bahamas. And the Seattle RTs to Alaska stop at Victoria BC.

A foreign flagged ship starting at one US port and ending at another must stop at a distant foreign port. Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean do not qualify as distant foreign ports. South America and it's localities, such as Curacao and Aruba, qualify as DFP. So this is why full Panama Canal transits always stop at one of these two islands.

Cruise lines are pulling out of California like crazy, Disney is not the exception, it is the rule.

Please explain then how the NYC 2 - night weekend getaway works since there is no foreign port involved. Three are scheduled this summer on the Magic.

I think if it stops at no ports, the rule doesn't apply. But I am not 100% sure if this is why those cruises are allowed.

Right. It makes no stops, therefore it is a legal cruise. These laws date back to 1886 for the freight component (The Jones Act) and were protectionist acts to hamstring foreign shipping in the US. The PVSA is a subset.

This is also why foreign airlines can't do city jumps in the US. They can fly from LA or NY to their foreign home but they can't leave LA or NY and make US stops.

The cruise industry has learned to adopt to the rules (Victoria and Vancouver as well as the various Bahamas) say thank you.

To anyone sailing the December 2012 MR:

Just read that the December 9, 16, 23, 30 2012 MR sailings have been cancelled. Those currently booked have until 12/22 to switch cruises and will receive on board credit. If guests do not call prior to 12/22 to switch, they will be moved to the 12/2/12 sailing.

Disney has set up a special phone number to handle the changes to existing reservations: 1-866-325-3905.

December 16th is still coming up as a Mexico cruise on the Disneycruise.com. I wonder what they're going to do for the week prior?

The local paper (in Los Angeles' South Bay) just published a story about the cancellations. Nothing special except that the Port of Los Angeles is having general problems mainly because of issues in Mexico, or rather, American's perceptions of issues in Mexico.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_19668940

Archived