Symbolic Wedding

Not entirely sure about your age or question, but for the sake of going on the cruise, if you are under 21 get the marriage license before you board or they won't let you on. That is all I know about weddings and such!

Sorry, wish I could be more helpful!

If you are having a symbolic wedding arranged through the cruiseline, some have a requirement that you be legally married for a certain amount of time; you'd have to check.

Other than that, if you do it before the end of the year, you can file a joint tax return, which may save you some money. Not romantic though, I know.

Fallen3825: past the age of 21 just wondering on the license part.. thanx thou

6rugrats: I think that what's hubby wants to do.. the tax return.. lol but not sure if we can still file if we do knowing our luck the next year the IRS will say u owe us.. lol

I ask CCL and all they told me was as long as I have my marriage license 3 to 4 weeks before the wedding so if I do it now will cause a problem..

I will guess not cause I don't think CCL want to give back my money for something like this.. ;) but I will press more on it.. might just give them a call in a few and double check

We didn't want to get married before hand. Initially we were not going to be able to have a legal ceremony (stupid Caribbean marriage laws) and we were just going to do a symbolic ceremony (note: NOT a vow renewal). In that case, I did NOT want to be married beforehand. Otherwise, I'd see that as my wedding day, not the day we did the ceremony. So we were planning to do the symbolic (religious) ceremony on March 1st and then do the legal (civil) ceremony two weeks later when we got back home.

But, in the end we were able to do a fully legal ceremony and have the blessing all at the same time in Grand Cayman so that whole plan wasn't needed. But anyway, there's just another perspective for you.

We got married on the island of Santorini in November 2007. It was a symbolic wedding ceremony because the paperwork for Greece was ridiculous! It was a beautiful ceremony, just the 2 of us, on the veranda of the Church of St. Irene. We celebrate that date as our anniversary.

When we got back to the states we registered at the County courthouse to make it official in the eyes of the IRS!

The story and pictures are on our website

I know the Caribbean marriages laws are a pain.. I perfer waiting afterwards instead being married before the wedding as well but CCL told me that they need the certified marriage license and I have to foward it to them before 3 weeks before the wedding.. Now that I'm doing the wedding in Puerto Rico and if I choose not for symbolic wedding I would have to give blood work in as well as about extra $250.00 plus for everything else getting married in my hometown it's about $60.00 at least..

Archived