Some Cruisers Return To Philadelphia Sick

bugs10

Some Cruisers Return To Philadelphia Sick
by KYW's Al Novack

The cruise ship "Norwegian Crown" has returned from a week-long trip to Bermuda that some passengers called "the cruise to hell".

Some passengers contracted Norwalk-like stomach flu symptoms. "We did tests and analysis on the passengers that were sick and it was traced back to the gastrointestinal flu, so basically stomach flu, not food poisoning." That's Norwegian Cruise Lines spokeswoman Sue Robinson, who apologized for any inconvenience.

She says a handful of other tourists also complained of bad fumes in their cabin and a power outage, but she says that most of the 1,100 passengers aboard had a great time.

i am sailing on that ship on may 9, ncl is only offering credit right now for may 2 sailing, there have been several problems on this boat since march, i am starting to wonder if the problems are due to something coming thru air vents or maybe a tiny link of something in there water system, what i am trying to say it could possibly be something mechincal,i really hope this weeks cruise goes fine, me and husband have really been looking forward to this vacation

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] My husband and I just returned today on the Crown. We had a wonderful time and had no problems of any kind. We were traveling with another couple who were on the 4th floor where the problem with the fuel smell was but they did not get sick from the fumes and they had a great trip too. We did smell the fumes in their cabin one night in Hamilton but they said it was gone in the morning. We heard many people complaining and saw some people leave the ship while at King's Wharf in Bermuda but we didn't find out why they left until the next day when we saw the headline in the local newspaper at the pier. While I feel badly for anyone who was sick on the cruise, I have to say we were treated very well and the service we had was wonderful. It was our first experience on NCL and with the free-style dining and we loved it! I hope all future passengers enjoy it as much as we did. Happy Sailing!

i read on another thread that you had an owners suite,we do too i wanted to know how everything was, butler, conserige, perks, rooms, how much tip for them any anything else, or if you could write some type of review about your trip would be great we leave may 9, also i am so happy you had great trip i was starting to get realy worried
thanks wendy

YEAH! Good to hear something positive about the Crown-- I'm not discounting that when you a SICK it is miserable BUT I read the link to the local paper- Looked like it was "AWFULITIZED" to me- My first clue is when the oft troted "cruise to hell" rears it's ugly head...

Jerseygeri,

I really appreciate your post. I need to keep in perspective that not everyone has had a bad cruise on the Crown.

Hopefully the negative press it is getting will motivate NCL to make the necessary changes so that everyone has the experience you've had.

~tug

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerseygeri:
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] My husband and I just returned today on the Crown. We had a wonderful time and had no problems of any kind. We were traveling with another couple who were on the 4th floor where the problem with the fuel smell was but they did not get sick from the fumes and they had a great trip too. We did smell the fumes in their cabin one night in Hamilton but they said it was gone in the morning. We heard many people complaining and saw some people leave the ship while at King's Wharf in Bermuda but we didn't find out why they left until the next day when we saw the headline in the local newspaper at the pier. While I feel badly for anyone who was sick on the cruise, I have to say we were treated very well and the service we had was wonderful. It was our first experience on NCL and with the free-style dining and we loved it! I hope all future passengers enjoy it as much as we did. Happy Sailing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another reason to drink and rinse your mouth with only bottled water on a cruise. If it is something in the water, you can control it.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
NCL Majesty

jerseygeri- Thanks for your comments. That's encouraging.

We are not sailing on the Crown until August, I am hoping with the mechanocal problems they have been having frequently lately,NCL will put some effort into getting the ship in order.

jerseygeri,

Thanks for the review. We are really looking forward to our cruise on June 27th. We always see the glass as half-full!!!
Bought some individually wrapped antibacterial hand towels today to pack...just to be on the safe side!

Denise

11/10/00 Married my best friend aboard
Grandeur of the Seas

Bermuda on the Crown
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;27;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Four of us were on the cruise that returned 5/2. We all had a fantastic time... all of the service staff that we encountered were very friendly (in fact, our cabin attendant was extraordinary). The cabin has an extraordinary amount of storage space... I've been in hotel rooms that weren't as well supplied with closets and drawers. We even had two folding bikes in the cabin with us, and we were able to stash them away, too. The meals were fine... better than I expected. It was unfortunate that 40 people or so got sick, but that does happen. All in all, I found the Crown to be in very good shape (the only sign of missed maintenance was a cracked mirror in one elevator), and it was a nicely sized ship for a trip to Bermuda (with relatively few sea days). I would not hesitate for a second to cruise to Bermuda again on the Crown.

Archived