Can we play name that fish/animal?

mitsugirly

Your best bet for fish id are the books by Humann and Deloach. These are what I use, although they can be a bit pricey, the are the best resource. Another that I have found a much cheaper alternative are the Audubon iPad apps, which while not as detailed, has 98% of what the average person is looking for.

Your best bet for fish id are the books by Humann and Deloach. These are what I use, although they can be a bit pricey, the are the best resource. Another that I have found a much cheaper alternative are the Audubon iPad apps, which while not as detailed, has 98% of what the average person is looking for.

I only get to snorkel when we cruise (1-2 times a year) and while I would love to know the names of the fish/species I'm talking pictures of, I'm not willing to go out and spend money on a book to identify them. :cool: :eek: I had a lot of success with people on here that have a lot of experience snorkeling/diving and are familiar with the names of the fish, I thought I would add some more fish to see if anyone knew the names. I just add the names to my pictures that I post online for future reference. :) Looking in a book to try to compare pictures and figure out the fish is the same as me looking online to try to match them up for free. :D

• 2 weeks later...
After getting an underwater camera 2 years ago and snorkeling at various places on cruises, I've taken a lot of pictures of fish and sea life. I've done a lot of research by googling and trying to find out the names of the fish I have photographed. It gets very confusing.

I would be happy as can be if you experts could help me out with naming what type of fish I have in my pictures (or telling me if I have the right name because so many look alike). Thanks in advance.

1)

1017704606_GXjic-S.jpg

I thought maybe these were either Permits or Pompanos. I was leaning toward Permits because of the fins being so long.

2)

1017704928_5MaLA-S.jpg

Yellow tail damsel?

3)

1017705105_2q7HN-S.jpg1017706595_twZgp-S.jpg

Absolutely no clue...

4)

1017706699_9wj7j-S.jpg

No clue but thought I seen someone called the a big eye red something or other??

You need to pick up one of the laminated fish charts that they sell in alot of the stores or you can get them online. It is fun to match them up to what you have just seen in the water. we throw them in our backpacks when we go snorkeling.

You need to pick up one of the laminated fish charts that they sell in alot of the stores or you can get them online. It is fun to match them up to what you have just seen in the water. we throw them in our backpacks when we go snorkeling.

Like I said, not really interested in going out to purchase anything to tell me what fish they are. (I'm a Nursing student, so don't spend any extra dollars on much of anything when I don't need to). Plus when we're snorkeling, we stay out there so long and see so many fish that coming back out of the water and looking them up on a chart...I would never remember everything I see until I get home and upload the pictures. Thanks for the thought though. :)

• 4 weeks later...
...laminated fish charts

when we're snorkeling, we stay out there so long and see so many fish that coming back out of the water and looking them up on a chart...

What cruisingforsix is talking about are laminated plastic thus they can go in the water with you :cool: Usually small enough to tuck into a cargo shorts pocket, sometimes hole punched in a corner so you can strap it to your wrist with a rubber band. They actually make for a nice souvenir as well and are typically found for 6-12 USD. Most dive/snorkel shops and beachy/sporty gift shops near port will sell one that is relevant for that area you are visiting (Caribbean, Hawaii, Baja, etc). Good ones have both adult and juvenile pictures of the same fish (fish can look completely different when grown). While I understand that you don't want to buy one now that you are back on land you might consider getting one before or during your next trip.

I love your game! It's too late for me to post all of my guesses but I will try to circle back around in a few days and fill in where I can if there are any still missing. I am jelly of that hand-sized Yellow Stringray (#28). My guess for the mystery fish in #21 is a Yellowtail Parrotfish (in initial phase, btw adult and juvie) mostly because the pattern of the scales looks most like a parrotfish than anything else and the yellowtail is the only one I could find that is even close to that coloring with yellow to reddish orange but yours is so bright orange I am not sure.

My D10 got waterlogged on Thanksgiving because the battery compartment wasn't fully closed when I went for a shallow dive. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Petco used to sell a lot of those fish 10 years ago. Not sure if they still do. I used to know all the names but am super rusty now. But if you are curious check the fish listings on aquarium store websites.

Archived